Closed Thread

Screen Doesn't Turn Off

My Power Settings: Set to turn off the screen if the device isn't used on external power for 2 minutes, however my screen never turns off. It only dims the backlight. Backlight settings are set be turned off within one minute on external power. This is while in the cradle (works properly when under battery power.) Plus, what's the difference between "turn off device if not used for...," under advanced power settings and "turn off backlight if device is not used for..." under Backlight settings?

There is a Backlight (the light that shows you the screen), and there is the device (or screen). These are two different settings, and also two different power options, on battery or on external power. You can setup the devices backlight timeout on battery power and on external power. You can setup the screen timeout (backlight independant) on battery and on external power.

If you want the screen to dim after one minute, you turn the backlight to timeout after 1 minute on battery power. If you want it to do it after 5 mins when on external power, you set it to that. If you want the screen to turn off, you need to modify the device settings to turn off the device after so many minutes on both battery and external power.

All of these can be changed. My settings are as follows:

Backlight off after 1 minute on battery power
    Backlight off after 5 minutes on external power
    Device off after 2 minutes on battery power
    Device off after 10 minutes on external power

This causes the device to dim after a certain time, and then to turn off double that length. Of course I also have different settings in PhoneAlarm too for different profiles...

..and if you're ActiveSync'd through USB, the backlight settings are entirely ignored. You need to either disconnect the usb cable from the cradle or you computer if you want the backlight to go off.
    -s

With my previous i760's (two total - were exchanged due to tinny sound) the screens went black when they were supposed to while connected through usb to activesync. This one is the only one that wouldn't.

I have been having this same problem and already posted on two other threads about it. I have yet to find an answer to it. It seems very random that sometimes it works perfectly normally and then all of a sudden it dims but never turns the screen off to black. Any news on a solution or anyone really knowing what the problem is?

So I am trying to figure out what exactly is going on with this problem. My screen is still only dimming today instead of going off. So I tried making a phone call to see if the screen goes off there and it does after its 10 seconds. Doesn't just dim but turns off to black. And then I go back to the home screen after ending the call and it still only dims instead of switching off to a black screen.

So no solution yet but I shall keep looking for it.

So I managed to solve my problem. I am not sure that this will fix the problem for all the others that have experience the same issues that I was dealing with but I figured that I would give it a shot.

Now I was going through the StartUp folder looking for something that might be the cause of the problem. First I made a backup of the entire folder just for safety precautions. Next I was going through removing each task in order to possibly isolate the problem.

After deleting the file "Obigosvc" I noticed that my problem of the screen not going to black has disappeared. I have attempted to research what exactly this task does on the phone but have not been able to find any information. But I can report that since I have deleted the startup file two days ago, I have not experienced any negative effects to my phone use.

If anyone has information about the task that I have deleted or also reports this as a successful fix, please let me know. Thanks for everyone's help.

I just realized we actually have three thread on this subject so I'm closing this one and one other. Please continued discussion of turning off the screen here:

Does the screen ever turn off?
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)