+ Reply to Thread
    Holly

Elementary ? Re: wma files and WM6

I tried moving my .wma music files from my desktop. All the songs were pulled directly from our own CD's.

Put copies of them in my active synch folder.

Got them to my phone (not where I wanted them but that is another question.)

And tried playing them. It said they didn't have the license. So, am I not allowed to do this?

My dh does not have a PDA, he had to convert the songs to MP3s to get them to play on his phone.

So, what do I do? Do I try the MP3's?

It isn't like we are sharing them, just putting them on our computer and our two phones. We don't have iPods or MP3 players and just want to use our phones.

So, assuming I figure that out, next I need to figure out how to get active synch to use my storage card instead of my main memory.

Sorry for the elementary question. I just know this is the quickest place for an answer.

Holly

the didn't have the license error sounds to me like you used Windows Media Player to copy the songs off of the CD and it encrypted the file to only work on your pc. I would attempt to convert them to MP3 and you will avoid any of that copy protection.

You've purchased music from an online store, and said music is protected with Digital Restrictions Management (which the industry would like you to call Digital Rights Management, but I find a horrid misnomer). Create a synch relationship with your phone or its storage card (depending on how it appears) in Windows Media on your PC, and it'll get the licenses you need over to your phone. Then you do your synchronization through WMP.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    You've purchased music from an online store, and said music is protected with Digital Restrictions Management (which the industry would like you to call Digital Rights Management, but I find a horrid misnomer). Create a synch relationship with your phone or its storage card (depending on how it appears) in Windows Media on your PC, and it'll get the licenses you need over to your phone. Then you do your synchronization through WMP.
    OP said they were ripped from CDs. I think the previous response is probably correct. There was another post about this a while back. IIRC, WMP defaults to DRM'ing your ripped music.

Another option is to transfer the files via WMP. It should license the songs to be played on your phone.

Holly
    Another option is to transfer the files via WMP.
    If you do this is there any way to make it go to your storage card? I think I may have done that...but it was late and I was confused. How do you do this exactly? Do you install active synch? Then plug phone in. Then start WM. And when you click on a song you can click on "synch" and it knows your phone is connected?

So, that is option one.

Option two is to move over the MP3's my dh already made for his phone.

Option three is to "re-rip" the songs and look for a box to uncheck on DRM.

If you can clarify the WM synch procedure then the moderator can close this thread.

thanks all!

When you open WMP on the PC, you will see an option on the left for the storage card. Click on that, and you will see text in the main window that links to the Sync tab. Click the link, then add songs to the sync list. When you are done, hit "Start Sync", and grab a cup of coffee.

Holly
    Thank you all. I was going to use WMP to sync and my dh decided to help me. He pulled out a USB/micro SD adapter, moved the MP3's to my card, and wala, it worked! So, that is another option in case any other newbie needs another approach.

Holly