+ Reply to Thread

WIFI Network Sniffers

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a WIFI Network Sniffer - I was using Airscanner previously and downloaded the newest verison for WM5 and above but it doesn't work.

Thanks

I've never tried it before, but what about this:

Aspecto Software - WiFiFoFum

[Edit: after looking at it some more, I'm not sure that it's compatible with WM6, but it should be if it's compatible with WM5, right?]

I posted on this, none of the scanners I've tried work. ministumbler, pocketwinc, wififofum, nada.

If you open WiFi settings from the wireless manager page (or go there the long way) you get a really basic WiFi sniffer that lists visible access points by SSID, their strength in 5-bar meter form, and whether they're protected. Nothing like what a good sniffer would show, but you can at least see what's in the air.
    -s

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post
    I posted on this, none of the scanners I've tried work. ministumbler, pocketwinc, wififofum, nada.

If you open WiFi settings from the wireless manager page (or go there the long way) you get a really basic WiFi sniffer that lists visible access points by SSID, their strength in 5-bar meter form, and whether they're protected. Nothing like what a good sniffer would show, but you can at least see what's in the air.
    I think that's a great thought, I never thought of it that way. Who needs a wireless sniffer when you've got an i760? You get more detail with it. The idea of having a handheld sniffer was to that you wouldn't have to fire up your laptop.

Thanks mayniac. Decent app, works, tiny, fast. Reports WPA as WEP, but solid otherwise.
    -s

I can't get airscanner to work.. it closes as soon as it opens. does anyone else have this problem?

these other programs dont sniff packets.. they just look for wifi networks...

I use WiFiFoFum2. It's free. I works great on my WM6 i760. It works with my Freedom Mini GPS.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

that does look pretty cool, but i need a program that lets me scan for packets in promiscuous mode and find Ip's of other computers, etc. airscanner snifer is the only one i've found that can do that, and it refuses to open on my i760

bump please.