+ Reply to Thread
    7 PDA's, 10 years

Question How to install for BEST performance

For best performance, should applicatons be installed to main memory or to memory card? Is the answer the same for apps with a Today Plugin?

I haven't been able to come up with answers to this question through search. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Main memory for best performance. Especially for today plugins and any app that runs constantly in the background such as phonealarm. Apps you start and stop only as you need them you can consider installing on your card. For example, I have phonealarm in main memory and I have my GPS app on my storage card.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

7 PDA's, 10 years

Follow up...

Follow up question....If I install to the memory card, and remove the card, is anything left on the phone that could impact performance?

I install any app's that run from the Today Screen in Direct Memory. Any other app's I install in Storage card.

MAIN MEMORY:

Phone Alarm
    WiseBar Lite
    Pocket Informant
    Spb Diary
    Journal Bar with added extensions
    Google Search from Today Screen

STORAGE CARD:

Spb Back Up
    Tweaks2k2.net
    vsnap
    MemMaid
    SiriusCE
    Windows Live Search
    Google Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sunger View Post
    Follow up question....If I install to the memory card, and remove the card, is anything left on the phone that could impact performance?
    It probably depends upon the program. In my experience, some programs, such as SKTools, install some files in Main Memory (a.k.a Device) even when you install the program on a storage card. I believe that MemMaid is this way too. You need to figure out whether the program interfaces with the OS in anyway or whether the program stands on its own. For example, most games will not install any files to Main Memory if you install them to the Storage card.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Also Sam, if one of the apps in your most recently used list in your start menu is on the card and you remove the card, your start menu will take a long time to draw while the fetch for the app's icon times out and it gets fetched from the icon cache.
    -s