+ Reply to Thread

wifi vs. evdo battery usage

I searched and couldn't seem to find the answer to this question. Which uses more battery life : wifi or evdo? I ask because when I'm on campus, I have access to wifi, and I'm wondering if it's worth using that to conserve battery life, or if the evdo is better. Thanks for your help.

I've yet to run into a cellular technology that burned battery faster than WiFi. So I'd suspect that WiFi is going to eat the battery much, much faster.

I've never used wifi so I can't really say much there, but I can tell you that even using the evdo tears through the battery at an alarming rate.

ebb
    MUCH worse with wifi. While battery life on the 760 is much improved over the 730 in all respects, its still pretty bad with wifi.

The only saving grace is that when you are using wifi, you are usually somewhere where there's an electrical outlet, if you don't mind carrying the charger around as well.

I played alot last week with battery life. The killers in order:
    backlights, especially keyboard
    wifi 802.11g
    wifi 802.11b there is a difference in consumption.
    Bluetooth using stero headset.
    EDVO running syinc with push active.

My personal best at batteryside: 70 minutes streaming national public radio from 802.11g to AD2P headphones

Well, you can't have everything; where would you put it?
    on the bleeding edge

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    I've yet to run into a cellular technology that burned battery faster than WiFi. So I'd suspect that WiFi is going to eat the battery much, much faster.
    This is not inherent to WiFi but the implementation on the i760. The iPhone on the otherhand actually uses LESS battery on WiFi than Edge, which makes sense as it is only transmitting ~300ft vs miles for cellular technology:

Welcome to AnandTech.com [ Article: No 3G on the iPhone, but why? A Battery Life Analysis]

So it can be done as far as why the i730 and i760 cannot who knows.

Justin

A CDMA tower is an FCC licensed facility with a transmit capability that exceeds what consumers are allowed to operate. A wireless access point in your home is limited to the levels permitted by the FCC for unlicensed radios. In both send and receive, a wifi radio must use equal power which varies based on distance to the access point. In EVDO, a phone will use much more power to send than to receive. The phone has to reach the tower with what it sends. The tower has to reach the phone with the answer. Most mobile data is in the download direction, when the radio can dynamically power shift to let the more powerful tower do the heavy work.

WiFi also has no equivalent to dormant mode.
    -s

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar

Maybe but there are many other factors

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    This is not inherent to WiFi but the implementation on the i760. The iPhone on the otherhand actually uses LESS battery on WiFi than Edge, which makes sense as it is only transmitting ~300ft vs miles for cellular technology...
    WiFi from one device is not necessarily equal in all devices. You can change the power usage of WiFi by amplifying the signal. I can do this readily in my laptop, and I know some routers can be hacked to do it as well.

Maybe the iPhone uses less juice with its WiFi, but it's also possible that at the sametime the signal quality and max distance that it can be useful from have a similar delta.

It's also a known fact that GSM performs better than CDMA in the battery consumption dept. Since 3G is on GSM, I might expect it to use less power than EVDO...but, with EVDO we're also much faster...I'm guessing that if you could extrapolate the power required to run the same data speeds over GSM it too would be using more power than it does now.

And, it's possible that the phone on EVDO will be doing more processing in rendering all the additional web pages that we can get to before a 3G phone can over the same amount of time, assuming a reasonably constant and active browsing session.
    Last edited by sdittmar; 11-09-2007 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Spacing is good
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by me2u View Post
    I played alot last week with battery life. The killers in order:
    backlights, especially keyboard
    wifi 802.11g
    wifi 802.11b there is a difference in consumption.
    Bluetooth using stero headset.
    EDVO running syinc with push active.

My personal best at batteryside: 70 minutes streaming national public radio from 802.11g to AD2P headphones

Well, you can't have everything; where would you put it?
    Well, let's see, right now I'm connected here via WiFi, EVDO push email is on, typing this on my BT keyboard while listening to Cat Stevens mp3s on BT stereo headphones and my screen is, as always, set to full brightness. Jeesh, maybe I better email Al Gore and see if can quickly sell me some emergency carbon credits tonight!

"Oh the trees grow higher than the mountain in the land of free love and good by the rivers ever growing the fish is flowing and the love lives in the sky... la la la la la la la la ... I can't hear you with my headphones on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post

WiFi also has no equivalent to dormant mode.
    Beg to differ but I have seen sleep settings 802 wifi components as part of the driver advance settings. If it is part of the spec, I can see them putting it in phones as well. I would.
    on the bleeding edge

Caution, Rant approching:

Correct me if I am wrong, but all of us are hooked on having the capability of a computer, in the form factor and with the power supply of a phone. Not only do we use functions that traditional phones are incapable of, we use them similtaniously, sometimes at 60 miles/hour. How can a powerful device such as the i760 possibly live of the battery life expectation set by smaller, less capable devices?

If I don't use what the phone is capable of, I have gone days between charges. If I use it like a Laptop, the battery lasts about as long as laptop, and that sets my expectation any more. That is the state of the technology.

Ok. Sorry. I will behave now.
    on the bleeding edge