+ Reply to Thread

Getting album art in WMP with MicroSD Card music

I was having a problem of getting my album art to show up on my WMP on the i760. I was trying to sync all of my music through my card reader since it was much faster than the sync cable, but doing so wouldn't allow album art to transfer to my device properly. Today I have finally figured out how to get it to appear, and am here now to share it with others who may be having the same problem.

The problem is this: when Windows Media Player (WMP) creates a sync partnership with a device or storage medium, it automatically detects what type of medium it is. For players like the Zune, or a WM5/WM6 phone, WMP knows that the device can display album art. During the creation of the sync partnership, a file is created which indicates whether or not album art data is transferred or omitted. For memory cards and other storage devices, this file indicates that there is no screen, and therefore no need for art. We will work around this problem by taking the file which says "Album art, please!" and swapping it onto the card, tricking WMP into transferring the data to the card.

I have only tested this on my setup, which is:
    Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit)
    Windows Media Player 11 for Vista
    6GB Sandisk MicroSD
    Standard (included) USB sync cable
    Standard SD card reader

First I plugged my phone in, via sync cable, and sync'ed a few songs to the phone memory. Just a handful, maybe 2 or 3. This establishes a sync partnership with WMP and the phone, identifying it as a windows mobile playback device, and enabling album art for music stored in the PHONE memory.

This is great, but not exactly what we want, as we don't have much room for music on our i760's system memory. Close windows media player now. Then, use the file explorer on windows while the phone is still connected, and go to the root directory ( \ ). You will find a file called WMPinfo.xml. You must copy that file to the root directory of the storage card. Once that is there, restart windows media player. There should be a new sync partnership listed, with a different name (such as "Storage Card", but a similar icon (ipod-like walkman).

If you see the new sync partnership, copy one song from your library to the storage card using the USB cable. Disconnect your phone from the PC, and test the song out on your storage card.

You should see your album art displayed during playback.

Now, simply plug the card into your memory card reader or slot, and windows media player will pick it up as the same sync partnership as before. This enables you to have VERY fast transfer speeds, and maintains album art in all of your songs.

Any questions or problems with this guide, PM me or post in topic.

Hope this helps!
    You lock it up..

Nice tip, fronc! I'm going to add this thread to the list for the FAQ.
    -s

I'm no mrailing, but I do what I can.

Just glad to help out.
    You lock it up..

Thanks Fronc,
    I was about to start a thread just to ask that very same question that you answered for me...but now an off topic question...if you are using a Sandisk 6GB card on you i760, are you getting 6GB out of it? If so please start a thread and tell all of us how it was done.

Unfortunately, I only am getting 1.7GB of data on the card being acknowledged by the phone. I used the hack mentioned in a previous thread.

I should also note, regarding the sync'ing of music, that I have had problems where my library would disappear on the card after updating/resync'ing the library. To resolve this, I simply deleted all the contents in my "music" folder on the card, and then re-sync'ed and it appeared again. This has been the only issue I've experienced with the SDHC hack not working.

I am still standing by for a new fix to all of our SDHC 6/8 GB woes.

One thing I haven't tried is filling the card past 1.7GB and seeing if the phone can still read it. Just because it says thats all the data you have, doesn't mean a Windows PC can't load a bit more on there. It would be something useful to at least try. If this works, you may not be able to install more programs onto the card or store photos/messages, but at least all of your music/video/pictures will be there. Might hold you over until a new hack is released/developed.

I have posted this same post in the board pertaining to this topic, linked below. Please continue discussion of it there, so as not to stray from the one in which this thread was conceived.

Link to memory card topic
    You lock it up..

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    When I connected my phone, Media Player made two seperate sync profiles, one for my memory card and one for my phone...Thusly, after a simple synch with each a WMPInfo.xml file was automatically created at the root of the memory card and of the device, respectively.
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

WMP also recognized both the device and the storage card within the device. All alblum art was transfered over automatically. Using Microsofts now defunct URGE music store worked that was as well. Now that I purchase music from Rapsody however, alblum art is not transfering over.

The problem with the missing album art was not due to a missing WMPInfo.xml file, but rather, the data contained in the file. The WMPInfo.xml on the root of the device contains slightly different information than that of the card. This is why I needed to copy the WMPInfo.xml from the device to the card, so that the same information, namely, information OK'ing the transfer of album art, is featured on the card. Try my fix, and it should alleviate your problems.
    You lock it up..

An intersting up date. The songs purchased from Rapsody have found thier way into my library in WMP. Once I synced again, the alblum art appeared.

anybody figure out a way to get the ratings to sync using this method? I have a huge library and rate them by artist, which has obvious shortcomings. Changing the song rating from my phone, and syncing back makes the autoplaylist selections better.