+ Reply to Thread

Big disappointment! No picture messaging without a data plan...

Earlier this year I signed up my family for the family share unlimited text messaging from Verizon ($30 a month is a bargain with two teenagers). With that plan all five of us were able to send and recieve unlimited text messages and the four phones with cameras were also able to send and recieve unlimited picture messages as well. I was the only one not able to send/recieve picture messages - I thought because I owned the I730 which had no camera.

Lo and behold it is not the fact that I have a camera or not, but a limitation built into the phone that only allows my PDA device to send pictures using a Verizon data plan!!!

I can't tell you how ROTTEN I think that is. Maybe some of you knew this already, but I was looking forward to being able to use this option along with my kids. The fact that I can't for no other plausible reason besides Verizon's desire to force you into this plan is unreasonable to say the least. Knowing the ability is in my phone and purposely hamperred is infuriating. Can anyone explain this to me?

I know most of you in this forum are also signed up for the data plan, but us poor guys need a break as well.

Oh well.... done ranting. Thanks for letting me release some steam.

Happy Thanksgiving and I love my I760
    CurtisZZZ

I have read other posts that have said that there is some magical machine in VZW billing that knows not to charge for data used for MMS. On the PDAs, there is no ability to provision data without some kind of plan. The third party MMS app from Teleca uses a data connection. On many phones, MMS uses data, but without any visible data plan charge on the bill.

There is a pay as you go plan. There has been talk that the central scrutinizer in VZW knows how to make data used for MMS disappear. There have been recent posts that said that the adjustment to reverse the data charges wasn't working.

Search around on MMS and data and you should be able to figure out if you can just get a pay as you go plan. You could also call 611 and ask them if there is a way to keep getting MMS without paying for the data now.
    -s

Huh ???? I send MMS (if that's what you are referring to) all the time without a data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    Huh ???? I send MMS (if that's what you are referring to) all the time without a data plan.

I should have been more clear. I will be able to send them, but it is not without a charge for each individual send. In other words my kids can send them on the basic camera phones, but I cannot because Verizon has made sure not to allow Smartphones this ability if they can squeeze another dime out of them.

CurtisZZZ

I pay $5.00 for 250 SMS or MMS sends and receives. You may not be able to send in your $30 family plan, but you can send cheaper than the 50 cent no plan rate. Two cent MMSes are easy to take.
    -s

Again after speaking with many reps you can MMS without getting billed for your data usage. There will be data usage, however because it is MMS you won't get charged with it assuming you have the unlimited texting. Give them a call they will tell you the same thing. They did however fail to tell me how they differentiate the MMS data usage from regular but after talking to almost 10+ people I think we're all safe. We'll see on our next billing statement I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisZZZ View Post
    I should have been more clear. I will be able to send them, but it is not without a charge for each individual send. In other words my kids can send them on the basic camera phones, but I cannot because Verizon has made sure not to allow Smartphones this ability if they can squeeze another dime out of them.

I have the unlimited messaging plan and they don't charge me anything beyond that.

Weather you have paid for MMS or not it will use the "Data Network" to send the MMS. It does not charge you for data for the MMS even though it uses the network to send it. The only problem with this is if you get a data bloack as you data plan then that basically turns off the data network, because the networks turned off you CAN NOT sent MMS anymore.

If you dont have MMS included in your plan then you will get whacked for the messages you send.