+ Reply to Thread

Active Synch and Restoring Phone

I'm new to WM devices, and i have searched for this answer...

If I perform a hard reset (or if phone becomes corrupted, lost, damaged, etc...) will performing an Active Synch with a blank (i.e., straight from the box) i760 restore all the previous 3rd party apps & individualized settings, provided I Active Synch'ed prior to doing the hard reset?

No. AS is not a backup utility

No. Activesync is not a backup utility. It is a synchronization utility. Activesync will only re-establish your PIM connection and restore the PIM data (emails, contacts, calendar, tasks, journal...) from your current host data. It will also resync a limited amount of other data you have elected to activesync such as Favorites, Notes and Files (My Documents). Activesync will not restore any system data, configs or 3rd party apps.

You may want to purchase one of the following (both have been reviewed extensively in this thread: Best Backup Software for i760 ):

1) Spb Backup: Spb Backup - Pocket PC Products - Spb Software House . This is the one I use. It required a new build to be sent by their support to fix an i760 specific issue (it failed on backing up speed dial data).

2) Sprite Backup: Sprite Mobile | Sprite Mobile Backup . This one has been around awhile, has good support and is reviewed positively on this forum.

If you use these tools properly, you can perform a hard reset, run the backup software's self extracting restore program and you are back in business.

My routine is to schedule a nightly backup of my entire phone to my microSD card. I then use a program called MightySync to sync my microSD contents to my PC. So, I always have a full phone backup available on my microSD card and if the phone or microSD card gets lost/stolen, I still have a full backup of the phone and card on my PC.

It is highly recommended to do backups to protect all of the time and money you invest in tailoring your i760. If you accidentally screw something seriously up, no worries, you just hard reset, reload the last backup and you are good to go. Some posters report that when your PDA gets a little sluggish or buggy, you can often solve the problem with a hard reset and restore.

Good luck!
    Last edited by jfourman; 11-10-2007 at 09:35 AM.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Jfour,
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my question so thoroughly! I'm switching from a POS Treo 700p which did back up all 3rd party s/w as well as PIM data, so this will be a change for me. I did also use a backup program for Palm (BackupMan) so I am familair with that aspect as well. The tip for using MightySync is much appreciated though! You're a good man!
    Last edited by Gasmeister; 11-10-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: grammar

One more note

One note on MightySync that I should have mentioned in my first post...

I use MightySync 2.0. The current version is 3.0. I and others had a lot of stability problems with 3.0. Support is non-existant.

Another software choice for syncing your storage card with the PC is mobsync. I haven't tried this program. Of course, you can always simply remove the microSD card from the phone, insert it directly into a PC adapter and copy.

I would love to find an alternative for MightySync that had a little better interface. Does anyone have a suggestion?
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

I think a bit of clarification might be in order.

ActiveSync isn't a complete backup of your PDA, but if you only install applications through AS, then you'll maintain a copy of the installation files on your PC for about 95% of the apps you'll install. Very few completely bypass AS to do a direct file transfer to the PDA. So from AS (or WMDC), you'll be able to use the Add/Remove Applications option to re-install the applications. You will lose your settings, and you may have to reenter serial numbers on your PDA for applications that require registration.

It's not 100% coverage, but it can be fairly comprehensive. Check in AS and see what's listed. You may be more covered than you thought.

That option sounds incomplete- I want to completely replicate my settings after a hard reset, and it sounds like some form of backup utility is what it will take.

I will always remember the day I dunked my Palm OS Treo into the ocean. That feeling of despair was erased when the replacement came the next day from Vzn, I performed one Hotsync, and the phone was identical in every way to what I'd lost 24 hours earlier. Now that was amazing!

That's why I wanted to make sure I pointed out the limitations of that approach. A backup app is a good option. I use SPB Backup and have it automatically run a backup every Friday night to my storage care. Once a month, I copy that backup from the card to a spot on my PC so I'm at least somewhat protected from a dunking that gets them both.

Use either Spb Backup or Sprite to do a scheduled backup to your microSD card every night and do another backup just before attempting any potentially dangerous activity with your phone. Set the backup scheduler to keep 3 to 7 copies. Backup up or sync your storage card to your PC on each connect...and backup your PC. The most you will lose is a few hours of work...no worries.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

I think every night might be overkill. It also opens the potential that something goes screwy and you end up without a backup that doesn't contain whatever it was. Weekly should be sufficient since the mail, etc. will re-sync. A backup before installing anything is also (obviously) a good idea.

But I actually have been in a situation where too frequent a backup with overwrites made a restore a pointless effort.

Easy Sync an option for microSD Card sync to PC

I found another program today that I am trialing as a replacement for MightySync. These are programs that do what Activesync won't do by syncing the microSD card to the PC. Easy Sync has been updated to do active, two-way syncronization. In prior releases, it wouldn't reflect things like file deletions...it would just replace the file on the side from which you had just deleted it. I want to replace MightSync because support was non-existent and the last release of the program was so buggy that it wasn't useable. Easy Sync is more flexible and the UI is better. The problem with Easy Sync is the price, $24.95.

Easy Sync - Flexible File Synchronization with Windows Mobile

I would be interested in anyone else's experience with the 2.8.4 release.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

OLD(er) Post revival

Sorry to revive an old post, but it seemed the most appropriate option after searching.

My I-760 has been acting a bit wierd since I got it around Thanksgiving (poor battery life, occassional freezing, inability to unlock). Verizon has been great and sent out a new phone but now I'm looking at this new phone that I just synced with my PC and realizing that all the other 'stuff' I've done will not transfer.

In particular, all the settings, pictures/ringtones/music (not on the micro SD card), today screen setup, email account settings, etc. . .

So just to be sure, can someone confirm that SPB Backup / Sprite/ etc. . . is required to achieve perfect transfer of all data and settings?

Of course, I've waited way too long to get this done since the new phone arrived just before Christmas, so Verizon really wants the old phone back or they will charge me for the new one

Many thanks!