+ Reply to Thread

Best Java Virtual Machine for the i760?

I just found this forum and joined immediately. It looks very active on the i760 which I just bought am very happy with. The i760 is my first smartphone/pda. I used to own a Handspring Visor (Palm OS) years ago, but when the power supply went dead, I stopped using a PDA. Now that I have the i760, I'm wondering why. email/calendar/internet/phone all on one device.

I'm a Java guy, and was wondering about support for it. I googled and found some folks citing the IBM J9 virtual machine, but this has surfaced a problem I have when looking for software for my i760. It runs Windows Mobile 6, but unless the software I'm going to download expressly mentions WM6, I have no idea what else it's compatible with. Is it a Pocket-PC? Is Windows CE 5.0 or Windows Mobile 5 a better choice, etc.

At the IBM site, there was even a choice for Windows Mobile 5 Hi-Res (vga).

From IBM I downloaded the trial version of this one weme-wm50-arm-midp20_6.1.1.20061110-161633.zip

It seems to work. I tried two games from midlet.org and one worked, the other didn't but with no error. The one that worked had a very small screen much smaller than the i760. Made me wonder whether it was the game or the jvm?

Has anyone found a good Java Virtual Machine for the i760?

And if so, any favorite Java midlets?

Thanks,
    Mike

I don't use a JVM myself, but you may find these guides worthwhile. They were written by one of the most respected Windows Mobile guru's around:

Smartphone & Pocket PC Magazine Expert: Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen - The (Java) MIDlet Bible

The second part is here:

Smartphone & Pocket PC Magazine Expert: Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen - The (Java) MIDlet Bible PART II

Hope that helps.

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    Good info in those links, but man that author has to stop with the middle of thought side comments. There are many - because who doesn't like reading in jerky interruptions - in every (as in all) sentence (such as the group of words between the last period and the next).
    Reading those articles is like the hard stop and go of a brand new teenager driving for the first time.
    Last edited by sdittmar; 11-10-2007 at 09:09 PM. Reason: I underestimated how many side comments there really were... oy
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

LOL. Can't argue with you there

I'm using "Esmertec Jbed". Found a link for it over on the 6800 forum. The download is on xda's forum, so you will have to sign up there too.

Runs my Opera mini 4 great.

wow what a great java program

hi and thanks so much for the link to that java program--i'm running java programs incredibly well on my MotoQ, which I couldn't before, so many thanks!

Beginning to like the i730 Cr0n_J0b's Avatar

no joy here either...

I pulled down the JBED.ZIP file and loaded the CAB from the XDA-Dev fourms...and I have the Esmertec Jbed running on my phone. I reloaded GMAPs, but I still get the unavailable thing.

any more hints?
    WM5 and not looking back.