+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

No Text Message notifications when in Sleep Mode

Anyone notice when your phone is in sleep mode (screen is off) you don't get notified of receiving a text message until you wake the phone up? I spent a lot of time troubleshoot, and I have FINALLY discovered the issue. This is a bug, and I verified with Verizon and Samsung.
    The problem is that if Messaging is not running in the background while the phone is asleep, you will not get notified. I had the Verizon tech support try it on their phones, and sure enough, it happens to them to. Most people don't use the Task Manager to close out all applications, but if you do, or use a tool to have the X button close out apps, then you may experience this issue.
    I called Samsung, and brought this to their attention as well. They transferred me to "Level 2" tech support. And he said the will make a note of it, and hopefully there will be a fix when the next software update comes out. If you are having this problem PLEASE report it to both Verizon and Samsung, because the more reports of this issue, the more likely a fix will be out sooner than later.
    Again to summarize, the work around is to make sure you never stop the Messaging app before letting the phone go to sleep or turning of the screen.

*Note for SBP Pocket users. SBP Pocket sets the X button to actually close apps rather than minimize them. It is best to go in to the settings for this and add Messaging to the Exceptions list. Simply run messaging. Then go straight to the settings for SBP->Exceptions->Add->Add Last Run Program.

Hope this help anyone out there that was stumped as I was for so long! And remember, make sure to contact Verizon and Samsung so we can get a fix soon!
    ~Joel

Strange, this isn't a problem on my device. Not to be contrary, but I'm religious about killing apps instead of letting them background. I definitely get text messages while the phone is asleep and the Messaging app is not running. Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by nlarson View Post
    Strange, this isn't a problem on my device. Not to be contrary, but I'm religious about killing apps instead of letting them background. I definitely get text messages while the phone is asleep and the Messaging app is not running. Curious.
    Explain what you mean though. Do you mean the screen comes back on, or do you mean that the message is received and you find out about it when you turn the screen on? Big difference.

I just sent myself a test message using SMS Everywhere - Send A Message to a Cell Phone

I was notified audibly, but my phone didn't wake up. Just as a phone call, the phone should come out of sleep mode to alert you of incoming text messages.

I disagree that the situation in the OP is a bug. If it was, there would be considerably more posts to that effect, and we would have a sticky about it. It is generally not the case that VZW and Samsung level 2 know the device better than the user community here does.

Now, let's figure out the distance between your expectation and what is happening. Do you have a sound enabled for SMS message notification? If not, you either need a sound or a vibrate. Every morning at 8am, when my phone is asleep, my bank sends me my daily balances. I get my SMS noise, and the screen stays dark. If I care, I turn the screen on and read it. If I didn't have a noise or a vibrate, I would have no idea that I have received a text. Certainly a screen lighting up would do nothing to alert me.

Next, be aware that for every 1,000 people that want the backlight to turn on for an SMS message, there are 1,000 that don't. Why? Pocketing. An SMS is almost never important enough for me to take my phone out of my pocket when I'm driving. But if an SMS activated the screen, I wouldn't have any choice, because I'd end up getting pocket taps. Although, the squishiness that others complain about actually results in very little pocket tapping.

So when I do get a text, and I want to read it, I turn the phone on and read it. I'm one of those weird people that have no problem turning the phone on when I want it on. With the loss of the single down and up motion to lock from the i730, I'm very happy the i760 almost never turns the screen on. I can get by without using the * lock between the combination of how few things turn the screen on, and how the squishiness results in less unintended taps.
    -s

Ah, I see. You said "you don't get notified," which I took to mean, well, that you didn't get notified. I get a vibration and a blinking LED which is, to my mind, a notification. No, the device doesn't wake up. I'm fine with that. In fact since I regularly ignore phone calls I kind of dislike the device coming out of sleep for an incoming call. It means that I have to take the phone out of my pocket and put it back to sleep so that it doesn't start taking input from my thigh.

Interesting. My phone does not vibrate or ring when a text message is received, regardless of the Sounds & Notification settings (audible or vibrate) for new text messages. The Verizon guy had the same issue with the phone he tested there. Perhaps a different software version than what some of you have?
    ~Joel

I have the same problem. I noticed it the other day. You should be audibly notified if you have set that way but I don't get anything until I turn the 760 back on. It's a pain.

It's not really a big deal to me that it doesn't come out of sleep for a text message. Now, if it did that for a phone call I'd be very disappointed.

My experience has been that there will be an audio notification when in sleep mode, but no visual...which makes sense and is the way it should be, because the device is in sleep mode.

Yeah I get an audio notification...that's all you need. If you want to see the text, turn the screen on....duh

I'm keeping the phone reguardless, so it's not a deal breaker for me. It would be nice if it was an option for the phone to wake on new sms. I have my phone on my desk at work, but with sound and vibrate off. I do have the light blinking, so that usually catches my eye.

I'm wondering if there is a reg hack in there somewhere.

I think I also have the same problem of not receiving an AUDIO alert when in sleep mode. Once the phone is powered off via the power button, how long does it take to enter sleep mode? Also, can I force sleep mode so I can test this? I know I receive the AUDIO alert if I am using the i760 or when I just powered it off.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MotorcycleMike View Post
    I think I also have the same problem of not receiving an AUDIO alert when in sleep mode. Once the phone is powered off via the power button, how long does it take to enter sleep mode? Also, can I force sleep mode so I can test this? I know I receive the AUDIO alert if I am using the i760 or when I just powered it off.

Mike

Mike, I just hit the power button on the top of the phone once, to turn the screen off, or wait for a minute and the screen turns itself off. This is the sleep mode....at least the one I am referring to, during which I do not get sound or vibration notifications of new SMS messages. That is unless I leave messaging running.
    ~Joel

Ok...mine seems to be working now. I sent myself 2 SMS's from google earth last night and never heard an audio alert. When I powered the phone on I did see the text notification. Maybe I just missed the audio alert or maybe it works only sometimes? I'm not sure. I am using SPB phone suite...if that has any effect.

Mike

Thumbs up

I noticed the same behavior with my phone last night. I was texting a friend and my phone wouldn't notify me of the text until I the text from him until I woke my phone up. (pushed the button on the top). The first time it happened I thought it was just a coincidence, but after the second I started to wonder.

I always make a habit of closing all my applications using the Task Manager.

Great find and tip! I was going to start troubleshoot the issue today. You just saved me a lot of time! I'll double check the issue while leaving "Messaging" on. If I verify the issue, I'll also contact Samsung and Verizon to report it as well.

If you copy tmail.lnk into your windows startup folder it will always work
    Also if you edit the properties after you copy it , you can add the -min to the "Target" and you wont see it during Bootup of the phone

i can confirm that if the phone is asleep and text message app is not running, i get no audio notification, but if the text message app is running i get it.

i get it whether the message ap is running or not... i get the audio blip and if i wanna see what it is...bam....hit the power button and there it is! i love this about this phone...I hated that it would wake up the screen everytime I would get a text, email inbox would update, or a phone call on the 730!
    I want the storm and I want it now!

Interesting some of you have the same issue, and some don't. What S/W and H/W versions do you have? Here is mine:

S/W Version
    PDA: S:i760.07 V.AH08.17233
    Phone: S:i760.07 V.AH08
    Eboot: 01.00
    H/W Version H:i760.0 V.Q
    ~Joel

We all have pretty much the same HW and SW revs at this point. There have been a few defects here and there, like dead wifi and dimming screens.

Start with a hard reset, and don't install anything. If that doesn't make the sheep run right, you need a new dog.
    -s