+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I get SMS messages beyond 160 characters just fine, they just get sent as multiple messages

I also posted this in this thread: i760 Open Tickets - we need to call!

I'm not convinced it is a Samsung i760 problem.

We have some in-house paging system that I believe is sending out EMS pages. It uses the format mymobilenumber@3rdpartypagingsystem.com.

I can send a long message to my i760 as well as a Treo 700wx and it will generate 7 text messages for those devices. If I send the same message to the mobilenumber@vtext.com, of course it just does 1 message and cuts it off at 160 characters... no multi's.

Now, I have two coworkers who sit next to me and each has the VZW Blackberry 8830. So I send the test EMS page to them. Coworker #1 gets 7 txt messages, but coworker #2 gets one large text message.

Weird, right, so I told coworker #1 to call VZW. He mentions how coworker #2 is getting them. They put him on hold and when they come back they say theBB shouldn't do it and the "working" device must be malfunctioning. (I kid you not!) We give VZW the # of coworker #2 and he gets put on hold again. When VZW comes back, she says yes, the BB's can actually do it and it is a setting on VZW's end (up to 1000 characters). She fixes coworker #1's BB and he is good to go now.

I had him ask about WM devices.. gets put on hold again and when VZW comes back they say it can't be done on WM devices... booo.

I find it odd because if I receive a long message from another smartphone - I get the full 160 (split in two messages). However, if I get it from another regular phone (enV or RAZR), I get the error message. UGH - this phone is more frustrating by the day.

Some phones split an outgoing message up before sending it out, others don't. Reason for the differing experiences can be explained by the type of phone of the sender.

just fyi, verizon allows iN messages to be received as one long text. i believe up to 1000 words. from other carriers it is split up. i was wondering if this bug was resolved?? my RAZR receives the messages just fine, and i tend to sent ALOT of large text messages. are these ALWAYS received as more than one text on this phone??

I have the Moto Q 9M and have the same issues - no resolution yet for anyone? What about any programers?

Thanks!

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by FF HaVoK View Post
    just fyi, verizon allows iN messages to be received as one long text. i believe up to 1000 words. from other carriers it is split up. i was wondering if this bug was resolved?? my RAZR receives the messages just fine, and i tend to sent ALOT of large text messages. are these ALWAYS received as more than one text on this phone??
    I get iN messages from several people. 1 using a Razr V3m, one a LG8100 or 8300 (can't remember), and one a LG Env all on verizon network.

I can not receive more than 160 chars from any of them. I have not tried back and forth from my wifes Q9M.

I do know my device splits it while I am composing it, as it states the number of chars and msgs at the bottom of the screen.
    Last edited by depressedVZWuse; 02-27-2008 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    I get iN messages from several people. 1 using a Razr V3m, one a LG8100 or 8300 (can't remember), and one a LG Env all on verizon network.

I can not receive more than 160 chars from any of them. I have not tried back and forth from my wifes Q9M.

I do know my device splits it while I am composing it, as it states the number of chars and msgs at the bottom of the screen.
    i finally spoke to someone with verizon that somewhat understood this problem. he explained to me that any of the phones using any normal "flip phone" software and such will accept and support EMS. thats why you can insert smilies. WM however is what is causing the problem with this... a lot of carriers dont support EMS, and since WM6 is used so widespread, they dont bother putting it on their VZW devices either. The 6.1 update is rumored to have a fix for this, and will allow the SUPPORT of EMS messaging, but it wont necessarily fix the problem. For the moment, WM6 phones can only receive 160 characters. i guess that is the price you pay for having a "business oriented" phone. as i mentioned, 6.1 is going to have a new UI, and should also include reg edits for EMS and some other lesser known problems. i find it a real shame to upgrade to a new phone and LOSE options...

hope this helps

it's good to know that you can send them to other smart phones and it just splits them... because a few of my friends have them, and on my old phone i would watch my character limit.... and so i continued to do so on the 760... now i know i don't have to....

BUT my gf has the lg 8700(brushed steel one??) and we are both BIG into texting.. what i have noticed is that i can send her more than 160 characters and i'm pretty sure she receives it because she's never said she hasn't... yet i can't receive anything over 160 from her.... i'd love to see a fix for this...

When sending from an i760, you can send as much as you want... it will break it up into x number of 160 charater messages. PocketCM lets you write out the whole message then breaks it up and sends it. I don't know if the standard messageing will let you do that.

As of right now, we cannot receive more than 160 at a time. So hopefully that gets fixed soon!

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightkshrute View Post
    When sending from an i760, you can send as much as you want... it will break it up into x number of 160 charater messages. PocketCM lets you write out the whole message then breaks it up and sends it. I don't know if the standard messageing will let you do that.

As of right now, we cannot receive more than 160 at a time. So hopefully that gets fixed soon!
    Yes I have sent up to 5, it actually shows you how many messages it will be sent as, along with the character count at the bottom of the screen.

Samsung i760, they did it again!

Exclamation Same issues...

My girlfriend just got the enV on Friday (the 11th), all of a sudden I cannot get any messages that are over 160 characters on my i760 from her. Before this phone she was able to text me just fine no matter how long the text message was. So I had 3 co-workers, all who had enV phones, send me test messages today that were over 160 messages and not one of them came through in two parts, I kept getting that error message "modified to comply with handset, ...). I then had 3 other co-workers whom had PDA style phones send me test messages and they came in as multiple messages with no problems. Mind you all these phones were on the Verizon network except for one. The enV phones had no issues sending longs messages to each other, so there is an issue with provisioning on certain phones. I also asked a friend with the Samsung Alias u-740 and again I wouldn't receive anything after 160 from his phone either. Could well be a setting on data and WM phones. These people are all just sending text messages, no emoticons or anything but plain text. From my sister's Blackberry long messages come in just fine as well, so there is something screwy somewhere. I have tried a bunch of tests from a bunch of different people and phones... Sending long messages to any of these people/phones wasn't a problem at all, they all got multiple messages as they should.

They updated my account settings but that didn't fix the problem either.

I called Verizon and got up to their 2/3 tier tech support and a trouble ticket was opened. Not sure if they will get to the bottom of it, hopefully they will. I have never had an issue with sending or receiving text messages longer that 160 characters long the system should split them into multiple messages.

I will advise as soon as Verizon gets back to me with something.
    "In the end, the things we regret most are the chances we never took"

I spoke to Verizon about this one too.. and I have a working theory but I need more people to test this.

I was told that the single message 160 character limit comes into play between devices on Verizon's network. The deal is that most flip phones are capable of EMS within Verizon's system but PDA phones are not. Therefore what affects the i760 should also affect Blackberries and other WM devices.

So apparently when you send text messages between carriers there is a mail interchange that will break up texts larger than 160 characters into two messages before it reaches Verizon. However, within Verizon's network you are not traversing that interchange and hence you are reliant on whether or not your phone profile supports EMS or SMS.

So this means that someone from TMobile, Sprint, AT&T etc. should be able to send you a larger message and have it split up into two messages, but if someone on Verizon texts you, you'll hit this limit. Seems kind of weird to me that you are actually more limited in what you can do by staying within the big V's network...

So.. my place of work is a Verizon shop so pretty much everyone around me has Verizon.. if someone wants to test this and post the results that would be cool.

I've seen this ender.... some people can send me over 160; splits it up into 2 messages. But i know that no one with VZW has been able to. I will find someone who can help us out with this.

Ender,
    The Blackberry 8830 can actually accept EMS messages, however, it is something Verizon has to turn on in your account. We had two 8830's side by side and one was sticking the texts into one message and the other was breaking them up into 160 character chunks.

Windows Mobile just doesn't support EMS. Our stupid paging system sends out EMS pages and I am getting sick of getting 3-5 txts per one page. Not sick enough to go to a BB, mind you.

Ah.. I stand corrected. It still kinda sucks though, that they would not have something in place to accomodate the very people who could make the most use of TXT messaging - those with advanced devices with full keyboards. Seems to me the logic to split a message up wouldn't be that hard to do.

I did ask about whether it was something on my account like with the BlackBerry and they said no, it's just the device. Good deal though that you can actually call them and get that workaround in place for BB.

I actually don't mind BB's, but they're pretty worthless if your company doesn't have the enterprise server to go along with it. Had a 8703e for awhile it was rock solid. Browser sucked, multimedia blew, games were non-existant... but I never had to reboot that thing and it never locked up.

.... i was hoping to read this problem was resolved.....

Samsung i760, they did it again!
    I received a call back from Vzw, 2 days after they opened up a trouble ticket for me in regards to this issue. They just wanted to get some more information as to the exact problem. They are still working on it... So it seems.

I will update as I get info.
    "In the end, the things we regret most are the chances we never took"

Can the data block be the reason to getting the second message saying the crap was removed.....because I have an i760 without the data block and I get all the messages but my girlfriend has the data block with an i760 and doesn't get 2nd message and plus. Any thoughts, or solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by mazz0310 View Post
    Can the data block be the reason to getting the second message saying the crap was removed.....because I have an i760 without the data block and I get all the messages but my girlfriend has the data block with an i760 and doesn't get 2nd message and plus. Any thoughts, or solutions?

if she is the one sending you the messages you'll get however many she sends... just split up... because they are both smart phones...

if someone with like an lg 8700 or other typical flip phone send them to you.. you will prolly only get the first 160 characters...