+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Text (SMS) messages over 160 characters

Ok - not sure why I am getting this issue as I never had it with my i700 or i730. When people send me a text message longer than 160 characters, I get the first 160 in one text message and then a second text message that states "Preceding message was modified to comply with this handset. Media objects were removed".

I definitely know it's a text and only a text message because we go back and forth in conversation.

Any ideas if there is a prog that fixes this or something else that can be done?
    Thanks

-Just talked with a tech rep at VZW and he stated that it is a known problem and it's with WM6, not the hardware of the phone. Until MS decides to update it, there is no official fix for it right now. Hopefully someone will know how to tweak the device to get this working.
    Last edited by mynticelx; 11-10-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Question Error in receiving long text messages - i760

I am so glad that someone else posted this problem. I have been searching to see if anyone else mentioned having this problem with receiving text messages longer than 160 characters. But have only found this one other reference to the problem. Also, when I send a text message that is longer than 160, it splits it into two messages (also very annoying to the person receiving it). Why does it do this? Does anyone know how this can be remedied or if there is a program that would correct it or are we just at the mercy of Microsoft to put out an update (if they ever do). Also, one other thing that annoys me with the text messaging, is that you cannot insert any icons or graphics with the text like I use to be able to do on my enV and V. I miss this feature very much. I looked to see if there is a program that you could install to allow the smilies and/or icons, but only found programs that would add them to your contact list or emails, did not state that it would do it for text messages. Anyone who has any information that could help me in this area, I would be very grateful. I am new to owning a PPC and am still trying to get used to the differences between this and the enV.

For smilies, install the Threaded SMS application

To send graphics/sounds/video on the phone, use the already built in MMS application under Messaging.

Dunno a fix for the splitting of messages though.

The SMS protocol is limited to 160 characters. It is not a WM6 issue, but a text messaging limitation generally. I believe you can send longer messages as an MMS though. Or of course email.

Thanks for the responses, but I do not want to mess up all the rest of my phone's operation by doing that Threaded SMS thing....I've read where it's messed up other functions, so that's not an option I am willing to try. Might have to research another phone, maybe this one isn't for me. I am a heavy text messager and need something that handles more than 160 in and out....could probably learn to live without the smilies or graphic icon inserts, but definitely need more than 160 characters. I guess I'm still looking for an answer. I have 3 more weeks to decide whether I want to keep the phone or return it.....if something doesn't come up before then to fix this problem I think I might look into another phone. Anyone have any suggestions? I loved my enV...the only reason I upgraded was that I wanted better internet service.

I'm glad someone posted this as well. Freaky timing. I was searching around on the forum earlier today for this very issue and couldn't find it. I was going to post something tonight about it.

I'm running into the same issue. I understand the SMS protocol is limited to 160 characters, however if my old Motorola (v325) some how handled it you'd think there'd be a way to in WM6. MMS might be the answer. My old phone didn't split SMS and MMS into two inboxes so I never really noticed if messages longer then 160 chars came in as MMS messages. I'm new to WM6 so I don't completely understand how it handles SMS vs. MMS messages. It's something I'll have to read into.

I just know it's annoying to my friends who used to be able to send me messages longer then 160 chars but are now receiving messages back saying I didn't receive all the message.

Personally with the sending issue, I'm okay with WM6 splitting my messages for me and kind of prefer it. With my old phone if I sent a message longer then 160 chars to anyone not on the Verizon network I'd trim the message and send me a text back notifying me that the user didn't receive all the message. So splitting the message when sending is okay with me if necessary.

I'll keep looking for a solution and checking back here frequently.

I found one site stating "Note that some carriers will break apart larger messages into 160 character messages, others will deliver only the first 160 characters." which is kind of what I was wondering. It appeared with my old phone that Verizon was splitting the SMS message for me (both sending and receiving).

With a data package through Verizon and WM6 do text come through as data instead of SMS messages? If so I wonder if that's why they're processed differently? Just a thought. I'll keep researching.

Looks like the issue is WM doesn't support EMS Messaging (Enhanced Messaging Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Per the wiki article:
    "EMS is an intermediate technology, between SMS and MMS, providing some of the features of MMS. EMS is a technology that is designed to work with existing networks, but may ultimately be made obsolete by MMS."

I found a couple of forum post on the net stating that there was a registry edit that would enable EMS on WM, however I haven't found the regedit yet, so I can't confirm they are true.

Update:
    I found this link on Microsoft:
    Enabling Enhanced Messaging Service (EMS) Processing
    It outlines a registry change you can make to "Enable EMS Processing"

I tried it real quick however it didn't seem to fix the issue for me. It's possible the enabling EMS processing only enables it, but you may still have to have a 3rd party application to handle EMS messages. :/

I don't have time to look into it any further right now. I'll continue to research the issue tonight.

Update:
    While searching I found the following application that says it supports EMS messaging.
    Download SMS Manager 2.2 for Windows Mobile PocketPC Free Trial - Softpedia
    I haven't tried this program out so I can't give it an endorsement. However I thought I'd at least let you know it's available in case EMS is a big deal for you. I personally would like something that hooks in and allows outlook to allow it to handle EMS messages.

Still looking ...
    Last edited by bjordan; 11-14-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Okay I downloaded the SMS Manager 2.2 to my phone and installed it. It said it installed successfully. I opened the program and typed a text message. However, it would not send it. It kept saying an error message about not being able to send it. So now I am back to square one again. I cannot believe that a company hasn't made a program to download to PPC's to correct the 160 character issue. I have spent hours searching for an answer.....and have not come up with anything. I did see a program for A.SMS Black Edition for black handheld devices (this seems to be more geared to encryption). It wasn't rated and I could not find any reviews on it as to whether it was good or not. Not sure if this would even correct the problem. If I don't find a way to get around the 160 character minimum I am afraid I will have to return the phone for something else. I like the phone in every other aspect, but the text messaging is too important an issue for me to be without the EMS. I hope someone can give some assistance in this area.

If I get a chance I'm going to try to code a quick (but maybe not ideal) fix for the over 160 character limit. Basically what the fix will do is catch any EMS messages that comes in and split it into multiple SMS messages.

The other night I messed with the basic concept and wrote an app that will intercept an incoming SMS message. The main issue I ran into was I didn't see a way with C# to access the raw incoming data stream. I didn't have much time to spend on it though. I might look at it again this weekend.

Other then the over 160 char messages, I don't care about the other features of EMS, (e.g. sound, smiley's etc). So if I can get it to work, it'll basically only capture EMS messages, split them so Outlooks SMS reader can view them and redirect "fixed" messages to outlook to handle as multiple SMS messages.

In my searches I've also read that it's possible programs like Textr will read SMS messages. I'm not really interested in using another EMS too though. I haven't tried any of these solutions though. Other then the 160 char limit I'm happy with Outlook, so I'd like to stick with it.
    Last edited by bjordan; 11-16-2007 at 02:23 PM.

My brother's i760 does the same thing... my xv6700 with WM6 works fine.

I think the problem is specifically with the i760. Try a hard-reset and see if it works... (dont forget to backup your stuff)

Hobby of the week-aholic
    Ok, I've never used the i730 but I've been with verizon for over 10 years now and every phone I've ever had was limited to 160 characters for SMS messages. I've always understood this to be a limitation of the protocol rather than any hardware/software limitation. My fiance is with sprint and uses the Treo 755p and has the same limitation.

Are you sure that with previous/other handsets that you are using SMS and not MMS to exceed the 160 character limit?

Or maybe i don't understand SMS as well as I thought I did.

I wonder if it's based on the carrier of the person who sent you the longer message in the first place... I've recieved messages from a friend on another i760 on VZW longer than 160 characters and it just came through as two messages right after each other. Both of us were just using the regular built-in SMS app.

This is my first pda. Before it, I had the moto 815 and it, of course, handled EMS. However, my girlfriends Q did not. Whenever she texted me a msg over 160 chars, it came in as multiple messages. When I would do the same to her Q, she would only get the first msg and the Media Objects were removed msg. Now that I have the 760, she receives multiple msgs when I text over 160 chars. Seems that the EMS capability on standard handsets somehow processes the msg different and a non EMS supported phone is not capable of showing the entire message. Sometimes we get multiple texts from each other, other times we just use mms. I think it handles up to 400 chars. Of course, there's always gmail......

Has anyone discovered if the EMS prog fixes this bug? Seems to still be an unresolved issue..

Quote Originally Posted by mynticelx View Post
    Ok - not sure why I am getting this issue as I never had it with my i700 or i730. When people send me a text message longer than 160 characters, I get the first 160 in one text message and then a second text message that states "Preceding message was modified to comply with this handset. Media objects were removed". ...
    BUMP!

I am having the same issue. My kids Samsung U740's have no issue getting attached video's and smiley's via text. My i760 will not accept them or apparently send them either. I find that interesting. I get the same error as above. Has to be a way for this fancy phone to get what the cheap phones are sending and getting.

I found this

"Yes i will let everyone know. i will post the results here. I am on hold with them right now.

UPDATE: Just finished with VZW, it seems that it was an issue with the "provisioning" on my account. The problem is fixed. If you have this problem also, you have to call them and have them make sure that everything is set correctly for EMS (see above posts for what this is) for your phone and account."

post 8

Text message issues with VZW - Motorola Q Forum | Everything Q

ejordan: Did you ever get this to work?

I just got off the phone with a Teir 2/3 tech support and no luck in resolving. They are going to apparently open a trouble ticket tomorrow.

If anyone has success with this please let me know. On one note - I have noticed that the problem only exists with VZW non-pda phones sending you ems messages. I received a message from someone who owns a MotoQ on VZW and the ENTIRE (160+) message came through. This actually makes sense since PDA phones will break the message before it goes to the network, rather than the network being responsible for breaking the message. I'll update everyone with VZWs next steps. Thanks

Well, has anyone else called tech support on this? I talked to them for about an hour again on this subject this morning. They will "open" a ticket now - but I doubt it will ever be fixed.

I had this same problem on my Treo 700w until palm came out with the 1.22 update. I switched phones just because of that - almost every text message would get cut off, and it was really annoying to have to write back, "hey can you send me the end of that text, I didn't get the full thing," and then people would reply again with the full text. I hate when they implement that text limitation. Oh and btw no one I spoke to at customer service new what to say about it, just that they would look into it, and call me if they found any answers.
    Last edited by cuadradoa1; 01-28-2008 at 10:54 AM.