+ Reply to Thread

QWERTY Keyboard Question

Dumb question here: I want to use the underscore (_) symbol, but I can't seem to find a way using the QWERTY keyboard to access it. I can get the dash (-) using the function key, but not the underscore. Can anyone help me out?

Nah you gotta use the pop-up keyboard on the screen for special characters

Pretty Good Member
    If you don't want to get out the old-fashioned stylus, hit Fn, Symbol (space key), 8.

Don't worry, you won't have to remember the "8" 'cause the symbol keys come up on the screen with the movable number grid superimposed. Pretty neat.

robrecht - that doesn't work for me...

robrecht: When I press Fn <Symbol>, the regular popup keyboard appears on the screen. Do I need to change an input setting to get the keys you describe to appear?
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

jfourman hit the Fn key 2x then the symbol(spacebar key) then it pops right up

edit* hmmm I hit it 1x and it also popped up
    Last edited by To0lB@G; 11-11-2007 at 12:21 PM.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfourman View Post
    robrecht: When I press Fn <Symbol>, the regular popup keyboard appears on the screen. Do I need to change an input setting to get the keys you describe to appear?
    Hmmm .... I just checked again and that is how it works for me in both Word Mobile and in Messaging (email, text messaging, and MMS). Not sure what settings could be different between us since the soft symbol keyboard doesn't seem to have any optional settings. I do also have a Stowaway BT keyboard installed, but I don't remember if the soft symbol keyboard functioned any differently before that install. Things that make you go, "Hmmm ..."

Works now because of your good karma vibes....

Well, it works now. I didn't reset my device or anything. I just read your email replies and now it works. Thanks for sending the "fix it" karma vibes my way
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfourman View Post
    Well, it works now. I didn't reset my device or anything. I just read your email replies and now it works. Thanks for sending the "fix it" karma vibes my way
    I feel a Cat Stevens song coming on ...

Thanks all. Worked like a charm.

Ever since I updated to WM 6.1 I can no longer access the symbol keyboard. When I hit the FN <space> combination, the symbol keypad shows for a fraction of a second and then the onscreen keyboard takes its place.

Any thoughts???
    There is no spoon...

Cool tip, thanks!

Fn->Space bar works for me.

Jonathan