+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ActiveSync

ActiveSync

So I am having a major issue with Activesync on my desktop. I have had no problems with this until this morning. I can communicate with my exchange server OTA but Activesync will not open on my desktop anymore and therefore it won't recognize that my 760 is plugged into it. Anyone else have this issue and if so what did you do?

Had the same problem. My computer wouldn't even recognize that the phone was plugged in. Attempted to reinstall AS 4.5, hard reset the phone and nothing worked. Took it back to Verizon and traded it in.
    It is kind of fun to try the impossible.

I wrote a post about this a few days ago- I could never get AS to even install properly on my computer. Luckily I have a second home computer on which AS installed properly, so now I use that one for AS'ing installation programs to the phone and use wireless synch for my PIM data through Outlook 2007. Incidentally, Vz says Outlook 2007 is not supported by wireless sync/PC monitor, but it works just fine for me.

Same thing happened to me last week. I shut down my laptop and restarted it and did a soft reset on the handset and everything has been fine since.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    I wrote a post about this a few days ago- I could never get AS to even install properly on my computer. Luckily I have a second home computer on which AS installed properly, so now I use that one for AS'ing installation programs to the phone and use wireless synch for my PIM data through Outlook 2007. Incidentally, Vz says Outlook 2007 is not supported by wireless sync/PC monitor, but it works just fine for me.
    I take it then that it is feasible to do both wireless AND wired AS on the same device? I am getting my i760 on Tuesday and my university wants me to do wireless synch for Outlook. However, I want to be able to install at least a few programs (Google Maps) via my home computer. Is there anything special I need to know in order to that?

Google Maps can be installed directly as a .cab file from google.maps.com using your phone's browser.

As for having Wireless Synch and Active Synch on the same computer, I don't know because I was never able to get AS to properly install on this box. WS was a last ditch attempt to be able to use the 760 as a PDA (synch PIM data). I have AS on my kids' computer so when I need to install an .exe installation file I use it there.

There is an option in AS to NOT synch Outlook, so I suppose you could use WS for Outlook and AS for file/installations. Anyone do this?

I sys

New Mexico (yes that's in the USA & the water is drinkable)
    nope ... nothing special to using AS over the air or on one or more PCs ... I have mine sync'ing to our exchange server OTA my desktop through the cradle or bluetooth & my laptop thru BT ... whenever I have run into sync issues one step to always check is to delete the device partnership from the pc & then recreate.

I know i am but what are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by snake guy View Post
    I take it then that it is feasible to do both wireless AND wired AS on the same device? I am getting my i760 on Tuesday and my university wants me to do wireless synch for Outlook. However, I want to be able to install at least a few programs (Google Maps) via my home computer. Is there anything special I need to know in order to that?
    I used to do Wireless Sync in the past, i converted myself to ACTIVE sync the other day.

Now, the ACTIVE SYNC over the Air is awesome when syncing directly to EXCH 2003. and yes, you can Wired ACTIVESYNC to install programs if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    I used to do Wireless Sync in the past, i converted myself to ACTIVE sync the other day.

Now, the ACTIVE SYNC over the Air is awesome when syncing directly to EXCH 2003. and yes, you can Wired ACTIVESYNC to install programs if you want.
    Great-just what I wanted to hear. I appreciate all the advice.

Really looking forward to getting the i760 on Tuesday!

i'm also having issues with activesync. it was working fine until yesterday and now my computer won't detect the phone. i've tried re-installing the activesync couple times and tried a soft and hard resets with no avail...

I know i am but what are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by kobugiman View Post
    i'm also having issues with activesync. it was working fine until yesterday and now my computer won't detect the phone. i've tried re-installing the activesync couple times and tried a soft and hard resets with no avail...
    How are you connecting to your computer? The Cradle is a POS and i have a backup on order because it doesn't allow syncing. do you have another cable?

FWIW, remember that if you set it as a USB modem in control panel, you need to set it back to internal data call. Otherwise every time you connect it, plug and play will see it as a USB modem.
    -s

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    How are you connecting to your computer? The Cradle is a POS and i have a backup on order because it doesn't allow syncing. do you have another cable?
    How does cradle not allow syncing? I have been using it to sync for over a week now with no problems--except when I accidentally pulled the mini USB cable out of the back. I agree the cradle is rather rudimentary in construction but it is getting the job done for me.

I have not been able to get my phone to activesync for the past week...It began with some intermittent non-syncing from the cradle but I could always plug it directly in to my usb with the sync cable and it would sync....Now I can't get that to even work...I have deleted the partnership, I have un-installed activesync, re-installed it....tried resetting the phone....tried rebooting, re-everything....Any other suggestions? No programs were installed directly before it went down....it was more of a slow process....slowly dying a slow and agonizing death...ideas? oh forum of high and mighty 760 knowledge...please help!!!!!!
    I want the storm and I want it now!

ummm help?
    I want the storm and I want it now!

Always, always, always check your personal firewall settings on your computer when any AS (or WMDC for Vista) issues crop up. If you run multiple profiles and some don't have the right ports open, if you receive an update and it wipes out some rules, or if you never opened the ports in the first place and an update suddenly blocked the ports by default on you, AS will drop the connection like a hot potato.

Worth checking, just to be sure.

Well, I'm no expert here so I'll share my experience and see if some of the more knowledgeable folks want to hit me with a hammer but I've found that my Activestink connection doesn't always work. I remember reading something on a thread somewhere a long time ago that mentioned the following 2 files:

wcesmgr
    wcescomm

If I can't connect or if I can't even open an instance of Activestink by clicking on it's icon - I go into task manager on the computer and 'end task' one or the other.

After that, I can typically start up AS and then connect.

This usually happens when I let the computer go into standby or hibernate a few times throughout the day.

Not sure if that helps you, and not even 100% sure why it works but there ya go!

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

it keeps saying "USB not recognized" for me, even when i just put in the data cable without the phone being connected..could that mean that my data cable is messed up? The copper coils look fine..

I was having the same problem when I first had my phone, and I believe I was the one who posted the task manager "end task" options for wcesmgr and wcescomm. This actually stopped working for me altogether after the first couple of tries.

Then there was a post where someone suggested the following, which has worked perfectly for me. Have any of you tried this??:

START > SETTINGS > CONNECTIONS TAB > USB to PC. Then UNCHECK the "Enable advanced network functionality" box.

I'm not sure how this will affect Wireless Sync and exchange servers. But it definitely solved my syncing, unplugging, resyching issues. I've been able to install, uninstall, explore and do everything else ever since.

If you've already done this, then I don't know what else there is to do. Good luck!

Hey Dazed - mad props to you for posting that originally! I certainly don't want to take credit for that post but it works for me. I think that is just to get Activestink working again - not the USB issue. Maybe you were having 2 problems at the same time then?

Again, I haven't had the USB issue but I'm connecting via BT almost exclusvely so the end task works like a charm for me.

Thanks again!

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!