+ Reply to Thread

Basic question on Ringtones

I am clueless about getting ringtones and most of the posts here assume you already have some knowledge. I would love to get some new rings on my i760 but don't know where to start and I know the Verizon web site doesn't support the i760 yet with ringtones...so 1. Any recommended web sites I can go to download? 2. How do I download them into my phone? Do I need a special USB connection for this? 3. Once I do that, how do I hook up the tones so they activate when someone calls? Sorry for the basic questions but any answers to get me pointed in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Phil

you can use mp3 files for ringtones with the i760 without having to pay verizon for it (nice change, for once). just drag and drop an mp3 into the My Ringtones folder in your phone's My Documents, then go to where ever you want to set the ringtone - depending on how you're setting it, it's done a couple different ways - and choose your tone.

It'll also take wma and wav files. You can also save the files to a micro sd and then copy them over to the ringtones folder, like allgoodpeople said. If you want to set a specific ringtone for when someone specific calls, you go to your contacts select that person, press menu and then edit. There's a field for ringtone. Go there and set the one you want. For generic ringtones for when anyone calls, go to start, settings, sounds and notifications, notifications tab on the bottom and in event, select; phone: incoming call. Then you can select the ringtone you want. You'll see all the other options there as well, like SMS and MMS and stuff.

Hope this helps.
    Huh?

Pretty Good Member
    Don't just drop in a whole song file, especially not a huge *.wav file. It's fairly simple to edit mp3 files to pick out the 15 or 20 second clip that makes the best ringtone. Otherwise, most songs will go on and on with introductory material before they're recognizable and the call went into voicemail already. When editing mp3 files, you can also add some effects like fade in and fade out so that it's not too abrupt. A lot of people use a free program called Audacity to edit their ringtones. Google it till you find a place to download it for free and basic instructions to get you started.

Question: Can anyone recommend a good free program to convert iTunes *.m4p files into mp3s for use as ringtones?

Rob, try this program: NoteBurner M4P to MP3 Converter 1.39 Free Download

I've used it a couple of times in the past with good results.

Vito Ringtone Editor is a simple program that runs on your Windows Mobile device and that lets you edit an mp3 file (and, I think, WMA and WAV) to make it a ringtone. In other words, it allows you to select just a clip of the sound file to use as a ringtone. Search PocketGear.com or Handango.com or our own store here at PDAPhoneHome.com. You should be able to find it.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

This is one of my biggest "hell yeahs" since joining the PDA world: I can choose my own ringtones w/o having to pay for it

i760, my first pda phone!
    Hi guys. Is the limit on time a file can play as a ringtone actually 20 seconds? Or can it play longer. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by g_von View Post
    Hi guys. Is the limit on time a file can play as a ringtone actually 20 seconds? Or can it play longer. Just curious.
    The ringtone can be the entire mp3 song (not recommended), but the call will go to voicemail before the song completes anyway.

i760, my first pda phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_808 View Post
    The ringtone can be the entire mp3 song (not recommended), but the call will go to voicemail before the song completes anyway.
    That's fine DJ. But you should know as well as me (since I also DJ and produce music), 20 seconds might cut off the song just before the end of a good buildup. I just might need that extra 5 seconds. Too bad these phones can't play seamless loops ey?

Isn't there a setting that controls the ringer time up to 30 seconds before it goes to voicemail. Either in the phone or on Verizon Wireless site?

They can play seamless loops, you just need third party software that makes the setting visible and persist when you change ring tones, or a registry editor.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0 and change the value of "Script" using this code:

a - show a popup
    r - repeat
    c### - volume
    f# - flash, f1 for 1 second and f0 for continuous
    p - play ringtone
    v# - vibrate for # seconds, v0 for continuous
    w# - wait # seconds

Examples:
    Flash - af1w60f0
    Ring - apw3r
    Ring Once - ap
    Increasing Ring - c50apw3c150r
    Vibrate Then Ring - v3w3apw3r
    Vibrate - av3w3r
    Short Vibrate - av1w3r
    Vibrate Long Then Ring - v3w3v3w3apw3r
    Vibrate And Ring - av0pw3r
    Increasing Ring And Vibrate - c50apv3w3c150r
    Fast Vibrate And Flash - af1v1w1f0r
    Vibrate and Ring Continously without pausing - av0pr
    Ring seamless loop - apr
    -s

Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    Rob, try this program: NoteBurner M4P to MP3 Converter 1.39 Free Download

I've used it a couple of times in the past with good results.
    For m4a to mp3, you can do that in iTunes once you set mp3 as the rip format in settings. Right click on m4a tracks for an option to Convert to MP3. For m4p to m4a, look up the hymn project.
    -s

Anonymous convergent
    It's fairly simple to edit mp3 files to pick out the 15 or 20 second clip that makes the best ringtone.

What do you use to edit the wma. I have had my son do this for me on his mac but he now lives states away and want to do it myself.
    You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

I always make my ringtones 30 seconds long and usually select a good part of the track right after a break that I want to hear. It's just long enough to not be too short and stop in the middle of playing just to start over. Most of the stuff I listen to is electronic music anyways around the 180bpm range so I'm able to get a good clip with 30 seconds. Sometimes I'll do a whole little mix up of stuff with parts of the same track just so it's not too boring.
    Huh?