+ Reply to Thread

Long day of XML - my TODAY screen is finally getting there

Figured I would share my long day of working in XML. I searched through many programs including PhoneAlarm, Wisbar progs, SPB progs and couldn't find the exact skin/program I was looking for. Finally I landed on RLToday and have been designing and writing my skin all day.

I really wanted a working reflective clock to give the today screen some dimension, as well as LARGE button access to Email, TXT Inbox, MMS Inbox and Missed calls.

I am still tweaking and changing. I hope to add a tab-over functionality that will show weather, but I'll save that for another night.

Take a look and let me know what you all think!
    Attached Images

Just a suggestion but you may consider posting this in the existing "Post Your Today Screen Thread".

God, I have a problem. It's me. michele654's Avatar
    I love them! Especially the second one.

-Michele

pretty nice. like the simplicity. i woulnt mine having the same features except id swap the email for my icontacts. how long did it take to get it lik that roughly?

Sweet! I'm an big Apple fanatic myself and love the icons you're using. Very cool look. Makes me want to look at rLToday myself.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

okay...this is killing me..i have been searching and searching and I am trying to find a thread or anythingthat wil explain how to do xml skinning. I am getting the basic hang of it...ie, placing icons and the such.. how do I do a clock face? How did you get the reflection on there??? I am soooooo lost...please point me in a direction!!!
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate

Climbs cell towers
    I haven't checked over at Rotlaus, but I hope you are posting your work there too... nicely done!!
    I'm at Dr. Johnson's office for a dental appointment.

where or how did you get that clock?...I have been looking for a clock like that for my today screen... and if you could share a file or post a link that would be amazing...thanks
    I want the storm and I want it now!

I posted the whole skin over a RLToday's forum, link attached. Essentially, I created a new font package to load into windows and just had it read from the font. Here's the link: Rotlaus Software support forum / First skin - with clock reflection

Let me know what you think when you give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by pillagingjack View Post
    okay...this is killing me..i have been searching and searching and I am trying to find a thread or anythingthat wil explain how to do xml skinning. I am getting the basic hang of it...ie, placing icons and the such.. how do I do a clock face? How did you get the reflection on there??? I am soooooo lost...please point me in a direction!!!
    I really just found skins that I like certain pieces of and then took a look at their code. From there, just kind of picked it up. Also did quite a bit of reading on the RLToday website HOW-TO. Rotlaus Software

yeah, thats kind of what I am doing...I have an idea of what I want to accomplish, yet some of the things are being a stumbling block.... one thing that really is not too clear on the website or anything is how do I get an analog clock or digital clock? do i have to have a png to show it what it should look like or does it do it automatically????
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate

Well it is a xml string that you put in your code. Then depending on the string (aka font, color, background image for analog), it will generate your clock. The string looks like:

<Image x="30" y="10" source="background.png" />
    <Text text="88:88" x="120" y="15" alignment="Center" color="RGB(60,94,0)" >
    <Font size="64" weight="normal" font="LiquidCrystal"/>
    </Text>
    <DigitalClock x="120" y="15" format="HH:mm" timezone= "0"
    color="RGB(123,199,0)" Alignment="Center" >
    <Font size="64" weight="normal" font="LiquidCrystal"/>
    </DigitalClock>

In this example, background.png is the image you wish to have behind your clock. You can see the DigitalClock string that determines placement, then hour format (12 or 24), then alignment (think MS Word). Followed by that is the string for the font size - you can either assign a custom font OR a system font.
    Then close your string.

I haven't done an analog clock, but the technique should be the same, pick a background clock face, then write the code for analog (download someone else's skin with it and get the formatting).

Quote Originally Posted by mynticelx View Post
    (download someone else's skin with it and get the formatting).
    Hint: the "default" skin for rltoday has an analog clock on it. I've never done an analog clock either, but from looking at it, it seems like "AnalogClock" is a built-in function for rltoday, so all you need to do is call it, assign a timezone, position it, and give it a clockface image... like so:

<AnalogClock timezone="0" x="9" y="9" clockface="clockface.png" />

cool, I actually got the clock thing working...now on to something that noone has even responded to on the rotlaus forums... I want to get the weather updates and icons similar to htc home, but with out the home programing..kind of just like floating there...any ideas? Maybe pull the registry and icons off of home?

Nate

I'm still an ultra n00b with rltoday, so I can't help you directly, but this thread seems like it's what you're looking for: Rotlaus Software support forum / Help with displaying weather icons

you know, i just found that, but for the life of me I cant get the damn thing to work cause I cant install weather watcher...it keeps erroring out???

Nate