+ Reply to Thread

Phone sometimes refuses to turn off.

Occasionally pressing the power button on my phone prompts to shut the phone down, rather than putting the phone to sleep as intended. The phone will go to sleep on its own, but after turning it on again with the power button the problem persists.

I thought the only was to fix the problem was a soft reset, but last night I noticed the problem fixed itself after about 45 minutes. Any idea what's causing the problem?

Wait....what?

If you hold down the power button, that turns it off completely.

If you press the power button quickly, that puts it to sleep

No, what happens is that if you press the power button briefly while it's on you get the "Shutdown the device?" dialog you're supposed to get when you hold the power button down. There seems to be no way to put the device to sleep just pressing the power button.

If you shut down the device and restart the power button begins working as it should again.

You're gonna need to splain a little more. Push power button short, screen go off, no?
    -s

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post
    You're gonna need to splain a little more. Push power button short, screen go off, no?
    That's the way it's supposed to work. That's the way it NORMALLY works. Occasionally though my phone just decides that short push = shutdown (exactly what you normally get for a long button press).

This leaves me with no way to turn the screen off other than to wait for it to time out. Once the screen times out and turns off, the power button turns the device back on, just as it should. As soon as you try and turn the screen off again with a short power button press you get the shutdown dialog again.

Might be worth a hard reset, sorta sucks that you have this hassle. I don't want to blame anything, but do you use any button mapping apps?
    -s

No button mapping software. I'm interested in the AEB Plus or whatever it is, but I won't risk anything like that until its been more thoroughly tested.

I've got SPB Pocket Plus and Mobile Shell installed, plus Opera, Windows Live, and Google Maps. That's about it. I'll probably be doing a hard reset sometime soon anyway.

I thought it was an odd problem, though, and that somebody might have run across a fix.

edit: It just occurred to me that one of the SPB products does button mapping, even though I'm not using that feature. Maybe that is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by ethergnat View Post
    No button mapping software. I'm interested in the AEB Plus or whatever it is, but I won't risk anything like that until its been more thoroughly tested.

I've got SPB Pocket Plus and Mobile Shell installed, plus Opera, Windows Live, and Google Maps. That's about it. I'll probably be doing a hard reset sometime soon anyway.

I thought it was an odd problem, though, and that somebody might have run across a fix.

edit: It just occurred to me that one of the SPB products does button mapping, even though I'm not using that feature. Maybe that is the problem?
    After I installed SPB Pocket Plus, I experienced the exact same problem. I did a soft reset and I haven't seen it resurface, but that was just yesterday. I will follow this thread to see if anyone else has experienced this issue with Pocket Plus.

God, I have a problem. It's me. michele654's Avatar
    No button mapping/SPB/Pocket Plus, etc. software at all on mine, and this happened to me yesterday for the first time. I always press the button on top to put it to sleep when I'm done, and yesterday all of a sudden it wanted to shutdown the device each time I pressed the button. I am confident I was using a short press and not a long one.

A soft reset fixed it.

-Michele

I see this occasionally too but have alot of software installed. I don't know what causes it but it only happens maybe once every 2 weeks. I do a short press on the top button and the phone asks me if it's ok to shutdown the device. A soft reset fixes it every time.....