+ Reply to Thread

Lock device and turn off the screen...

My apologies if this has been addressed...I searched and there are lots of posts for locking/unlocking and screen management too...but I couldn't find this specific answer in sifting through the posts...

When you lock the device, it would seem to make sense to have the screen turn off too....as you're locking the device because you're not going to use it....Right now it a 2-step process...lock the device and then hit the power button to turn it off...

Am I missing something or is this just the way it is...

RTD
    When I lock my phone it shuts off after a minute. You have to go into display settings and set it up.

I saw that, but would prefer it to be the same function...so it's a single step and happens right away...I'm always locking and unlocking frequently throughout the day...If I do it 20 times in the day, it's 20 minutes of screen/battery burn time that I can be conserved...

Quote Originally Posted by TDG01 View Post
    My apologies if this has been addressed...I searched and there are lots of posts for locking/unlocking and screen management too...but I couldn't find this specific answer in sifting through the posts...

When you lock the device, it would seem to make sense to have the screen turn off too....as you're locking the device because you're not going to use it....Right now it a 2-step process...lock the device and then hit the power button to turn it off...

Am I missing something or is this just the way it is...
    Yes, it appears that you are missing something.

As you say, "When you lock the device, it would seem to make sense to have the screen turn off too....as you're locking the device because you're not going to use it...." and I would assume the opposite is ture: that you would only turn on the screen when you wish to use the device.

Therefore, you only need to tap the power button on the top to lock and power off the screen and you only have to tap it again to wake it up and use it. One button, one push.

RedAntArmy

I use a program called OnLock, which turns off the screen and locks the keyboard.

TDG, like redant said, try going a few days without locking but just use the screen off. See how it goes. I thought that by losing the key lock from the i730, I was going to have all kinds of trouble with my i760 waking up and getting pocket taps. It seems that the squishy screen is actually not a bug but a feature that prevents the majority of pocket taps unless you're wearing pants that require you to regulate your breathing.
    -s

Quote Originally Posted by RedAntArmy View Post
    Yes, it appears that you are missing something.

As you say, "When you lock the device, it would seem to make sense to have the screen turn off too....as you're locking the device because you're not going to use it...." and I would assume the opposite is ture: that you would only turn on the screen when you wish to use the device.

Therefore, you only need to tap the power button on the top to lock and power off the screen and you only have to tap it again to wake it up and use it. One button, one push.

RedAntArmy
    I'm with RedAntArmy. I just experimented with this a little tonight because I was tired of the locking/unlocking key combination. It seems to be that if I just press the button on top to blank the display, none of the other buttons do anything (i.e., locked). When you press the top button to wake it up, it's unlocked and ready to go.

I don't know why this wasn't clear to me from the start. Now I'm trying to figure out why I would ever want to lock the phone if blanking the screen does the same thing (and turns the display off).

LT

New Mexico (yes that's in the USA & the water is drinkable)
    I tried the top bottom approach from the get go and trust me when I say I no longer wear pants that require me to regulate my breathing ...

I had all kinds of strange issues due to pocket taps ... nothing serious but it was enough for me to find it annoying.

along the same lines I also found the 3 button unlock annoying too (4-6 button combo if you happen to get it wrong ...)

I have found S2U2 a useful tool when dealing with this. by hitting the power button the screen turns off and upon resume it is locked.

And FWIW If your screen is set to time out after 1 min and you are counting the minutes when you lock it .... what about all the minutes it comes to life in your pocket without you being aware (HEY YOU GOT MAIL!!). S2U2 has an independant feature that lets you select the amount of time before it hibernates again ... I'm not sure why I feel the button push and the slide is easier then the button push + button push + button push (On + Unlock + *) but for me it is.

I no longer find my device running random programs as I pull it out of my pocket and the on screen prompts and abiltiy to answer calls without unlocking is nice ...

IMHO ...
    Last edited by MikeDaGeek; 11-12-2007 at 08:00 PM.
    Favorite DNRC's inDUHvidual's quotes

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous"
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Thx...I started laughing at myself...Like LT, it never occurred to me to just do what Sleeve and RedAnt suggested...If I have problems I'll either buy new pants or try one of the other suggestions...

I'll update this with how it turns out...

you'll be a lot happier with new pants.