+ Reply to Thread

Can't access WiFi connection

I'm sitting in a hotspot with a 54Mbps, very strong signal on my laptop, but can't seem to get WiFi on the phone. I tap WiFi in the wireless manager and it goes from off to "connecting" and then to "unavailable". I don't have the data plan and have blocked data by Verizon.

Another member here had dead wifi. Take it in to a store and swap it.
    -s

God, I have a problem. It's me. michele654's Avatar
    Yep, that was me. Worked great after I swapped phones. Has it worked anyplace else? Mine never worked.

I have this issue when trying to connect to my secured WiFi at my work. However secured and unsecured networks at home connect fine. So it may not be the phone.
    ~Joel

claret, what access point and what type of security are you using?
    -s

I guess I don't know enough to answer the question- on my laptop, I just turn on the wifi access and it searches for any available network in range and it tells me if it's open or secure and if unsecure, I click on connect and go from there. Thought the phone would be similar. I don't have my own network, so I'm not sure what you mean about "what type of security" I'm using

Actually, that's a good answer. I missed the detail that you said it's a hotspot, and I should have figured that meant it was not your network. My i730 used to do what you describe, see the hotspot, show it in a popup, ask if I want to connect, show that it is connecting, then pfft, unavailable.

Next time you're in a hotspot area, first connect with your laptop to see what you need to do. Ideally, do this at a place where you have not connected in the past so that it doesn't use saved information to make the connection. You could also try connecting at a place that you know doesn't need a security key. Most national chain sellers of foamy milk or crusty bread have open networks.

If that fails, you should probably try a soft reset while you're there, hit the red hole to the left of the keyboard with the stylus. If that still does you no good, you should go to a VZW store and explain to them what is happening. They'll probably replace it and like Michele, you'll be fine.
    -s

WiFi networks can be configured with varying types of security (WEP, WPA, Open). The type of security and encryption can have a major impact on how you configure your phone to connect to that network.

I'd recommend grabbing a copy of PocketPeek and installing it. That will detect WiFi networks around you so you know which SSIDs to look for in your wireless config. It'll also confirm that your phone can see the AP you're looking for.

But it is worth pointing out - some wireless access points are notoriously unfriendly to PDA WiFi chipsets, so you will likely find some you can't connect to even though your laptop does.

Did a soft reset and now can connect-Thanks!