+ Reply to Thread
    Mobile enabled - on the road

Hard reset/clear phone data issue

I'm having an issue doing either a hard reset or trying to wipe the data off of my current i760. I've followed the procedure for a hard reset per MRailings FAQ as well as the manual, but all the phone ever does is reset...doesn't seem to matter how long (or short) I hold the reset button and the center d-pad button. And yes, I release the reset button first.

So, I decided to try to wipe the data. Before I can do this it asks for a password. I have NEVER set a password for locking the phone, yet it won't let me past it. I've already RTFM, and no default password is listed.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
    YOU can't get there from here...but I can!

Quote Originally Posted by mace2k View Post
    I'm having an issue doing either a hard reset or trying to wipe the data off of my current i760. I've followed the procedure for a hard reset per MRailings FAQ as well as the manual, but all the phone ever does is reset...doesn't seem to matter how long (or short) I hold the reset button and the center d-pad button. And yes, I release the reset button first.

So, I decided to try to wipe the data. Before I can do this it asks for a password. I have NEVER set a password for locking the phone, yet it won't let me past it. I've already RTFM, and no default password is listed.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
    i had the exact same problem. here's how i solved it (both the password and the hardware hard reset):

1) To do a software hard reset, you have to go in and set a password in your phone lock settings in the WM Settings menu. for some reason the WM software hard reset function will not let you do a hard reset unless you enter an actual password - a blank field will not be accepted. once you enter a password for your phone lock function, go back into the software hard reset section and when it asks for the password, enter it then.

2) in terms of buttons, i found i had to do the following to get it to hard reset using the hardware buttons:

* press the select button (center of the d-pad) and hold it
    * press the red hard reset button using your stylus, and hold it
    * keep both pressed for a good pause - i count to 10-one-thousand, just to be safe
    * release the red hard reset button first
    * release the d-pad select button last

this very specific sequence of button presses seems to work for me, and is the only way i have been able to do hard resets. the manual and other guides to hard resetting make it sound like if you just press the two buttons at the same time and release simultaneously it will do a hard reset, but that has not been my experience.

hope this helps!

Mobile enabled - on the road
    Thank you very much...it DID help! Your steps on the hard reset worked perfectly. I was starting to get a little frustrated from following the Samsung instructions.

Another thing I learned from the Samsung FAQ (on their site) is that if you do not set a password on the phone, the default is the last 4 digits of you mobile number.

So I learned at least 2 new things today.

Thanks again!
    YOU can't get there from here...but I can!

God, I have a problem. It's me. michele654's Avatar
    The last 4 digits if there is no password is a handy thing to know.....

Thanks!

-Michele

Just a quick note, because it never show up anywhere, is to keep holding the action/select button until the phone resets itself. Do not just let go a second or two after releasing the reset button.