+ Reply to Thread
    Techie in a Cowboy Town

Vista, Outlook 2007 and wireless sync

I did a search ... read way too many threads to mention ... "learned" lots of stuff about certificates and the like ... stuff I still don't understand ... but alas nothing on point to my perticular problem

After having two crashes this weekend on computers .. I went and bought a new laptop .. of course my first vista ... after getting everything else to work ... I decided to attack the phone and wireless syncing ... I did everything like I did on xp and it works ... sort of ... my problem is if I allow wmdc to sync contacts and calendar items ... I get duplicates ... if I tell wmdc not to sync these ... I loose contacts and calendar items on both the phone and laptop ... thank goodness for spb backup ... I've had to restore 4 times to get them back .. finally I removed the sync settup for the laptop to the vz server ... so I get my phone stuff on the vz server ... but only sync with the laptop via usb ... if I didn't need to be able to sync my handbase files with the laptop ... I wouldn't even set up a partnership ...

I "know" that Vista, Outlook 2007 and wireless sync are not supposed to play nice together .. but if I take wmdc out of the picture they play fine ...

what do I have to do to get wmdc to not sync the contacts and calendar items but still allow them to stay on the phone? with xp I simply told activesync to not sync them and it left them alone ... but wmdc loves to wipe them off them phone when I tell it not to sync them ... then wireless sync rips them off the laptop ... and around and around we goooooo ... very frustrating ... HELP!

Thanks in advance
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

on your phone go to programs then activesync and right menu options you can uncheck what syncs to your pc and also further in the settings when the pc name is highlighted you can choose to not overwrite data on the phone

oh i meant to ask how did you get wirelesssync on your vista machine?? I cant even get it to download I tried a bunch of certificate hacks but nothing worked. Was it a PItA?

I had WMDC and Outlook 2007. IT worked fine for me for the two weeks I was using Vista. I am having problems else where with Vista because I do a lot of software testing so I went back to XP Saturday. Works fine with XP and Activesync to. There is a setting somewhere that tells Outlook and your phone to "Merge" and not replace or create duplicates. I am not sure exactly where and cant look anymore but if you find that I think your problem will be solved.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon477 View Post
    oh i meant to ask how did you get wirelesssync on your vista machine?? I cant even get it to download I tried a bunch of certificate hacks but nothing worked. Was it a PItA?
    Okay ... I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ ... I just loaded Office 2007 Standard Edition ... I went to Microsoft.com and downloaded the latest version of WMDC (one of the threads here said to do that) ... Loaded it ... Then got the phone to sync to the vz web site ... then on the vz web site I removed the old laptop and added the new one ... the first time I got an error and it stopped, said try again or words to that effect ... the second time it went smooth ... I did have a little trouble (took like three attemps) getting the setup on the pc done ... first two times it just kinda stayed on initiating account and had to cancel it ... the last time it went fine ... I'm guessing if you just keep trying it will work ... the other thing that may be in my favor ... this laptop is only 36 hrs old .. and I haven't loaded and unloaded a bunch of junk yet ... that may have helped ... also ... my copy of Office 2007 is a trial that I downloaded from ms ... I'm trying it until Jan 31 ... but if I can get this syncing thing worked out ... I'll have to buy it ... LOL ... my version of Office on my other computers was 97 ... with outlook 2002 that came with all the pda phones I've had ... as you can tell .. I'm not much into upgrading if things work ... LOL ... my business still uses Filemaker Pro 3.0 for all it's data ... and Cyma (dos based) for it's accounting ... all work well with vista ... to my surprise ...
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

Fuzzy--I have gone around and around with this. I use emoze--get it here (it's FREE):

emoze Free Push email, mobile email software for mobile devices.

I run Vista Business, Outlook 2007 and have given up on Wireless Sync.

Hope that helps.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    I'm gonna look into it ... I unchecked calendar and contacts on the phone and once again I lost calendar and contacts on both the laptop and phone ... sooooooo ... for the 5th time today ... spb to the rescue ... I'm learning ... now I backup before I do anything new .. ya know .. the old adage ... fool me once ... shame on you ... fool me twice ... shame on me ...

I have one more thing to try .... then it's on to greener pastures
    Fuzzy

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Okay .. after many hours and much nashing of teeth ... I have success ..

Here's what I did:

Remember to make sure your data is backed up somewhere ... another phone will work ... sprite on your phone ... spb backup is what I used ... saved my butt lots of times

1. First make sure you can download and install pc monitor on your vista machine .. Seems the toughest step is this step ... getting pc monitor to download onto your vista machine ... I had to try a couple of times ... at first I thought it was me messing up ... but I think vista throws a hissy and errors it out ... but paitence did pay off in my case ... in my case starting with a fairly clean machine (couple days old) may have helped ... less conflicks

2. Ensure your phone has sync'd with the computer and Outlook 2007 has all the data you need ... this step can be omitte if the data is already in 2007

3. Hard reset your i760 .. this will erase the partnerships with outlook and give you a clean start

4. set up wireless sync on your phone and get the data to sync from your computer to the phone

5. last and certainly not least ... set up a partnership with your computer ... but when doing this make sure you don't allow it to sync any data that you are wireless syncing ... just uncheck things like calendar, contacts etc ... if you don't you'll end up with lots of dupes ... every time you change any data

I finally figured out why stuff kept disappearing ... the partnerships where still in the phone ... if you remove them it removes all data sync'd with activesync ... then wireless sync gets rid of the data on the computer to make it match ... if you go the other way ... when you remove the partnership in wmdc ... it removes all data sync'd via wmdc ... then wireless sync makes the stuff on the phone go away to make them match ... and so on ... and so on ... and so on ...

If you get the data in Outlook 2007 ... then start with a fresh i760 ... and do the wireless sync setup first ... then when you do the wmdc set up you can tell it not to sync the data your wireless syncing and everything plays nice together ... in all actuallity ... it works great ... and maybe a little quicker from the laptop to the phone ... but might just be me being excited about it working .... LOL

Good Luck
    Fuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe View Post
    1. First make sure you can download and install pc monitor on your vista machine .. Seems the toughest step is this step ... getting pc monitor to download onto your vista machine ... I had to try a couple of times ... at first I thought it was me messing up ... but I think vista throws a hissy and errors it out ... but paitence did pay off in my case ... in my case starting with a fairly clean machine (couple days old) may have helped ... less conflicks
    OK - this may be a dumb question but is 'pc monitor' a program? If so where do I find/download it? THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe View Post
    Okay .. after many hours and much nashing of teeth ... I have success ..

Here's what I did:

Remember to make sure your data is backed up somewhere ... another phone will work ... sprite on your phone ... spb backup is what I used ... saved my butt lots of times

2. Ensure your phone has sync'd with the computer and Outlook 2007 has all the data you need ... this step can be omitte if the data is already in 2007

3. Hard reset your i760 .. this will erase the partnerships with outlook and give you a clean start

4. set up wireless sync on your phone and get the data to sync from your computer to the phone

5. last and certainly not least ... set up a partnership with your computer ... but when doing this make sure you don't allow it to sync any data that you are wireless syncing ... just uncheck things like calendar, contacts etc ... if you don't you'll end up with lots of dupes ... every time you change any data

I finally figured out why stuff kept disappearing ... the partnerships where still in the phone ... if you remove them it removes all data sync'd with activesync ... then wireless sync gets rid of the data on the computer to make it match ... if you go the other way ... when you remove the partnership in wmdc ... it removes all data sync'd via wmdc ... then wireless sync makes the stuff on the phone go away to make them match ... and so on ... and so on ... and so on ...

If you get the data in Outlook 2007 ... then start with a fresh i760 ... and do the wireless sync setup first ... then when you do the wmdc set up you can tell it not to sync the data your wireless syncing and everything plays nice together ... in all actuallity ... it works great ... and maybe a little quicker from the laptop to the phone ... but might just be me being excited about it working .... LOL

Good Luck
    I'm having a problem with step 1... I am able to download it and run set up, however once it's running, it refuses to give me the option of syncing with Outlook, it wants to configure itself to monitor Lotus Notes instead. Which I need to keep installed on this machine but I do not want to sync with the phone. Anyone else have issues with this? are there two different versions of the PC monitor software?

Nevermind, I removed Lotus Notes, then reinstalled, and it asked me what client I wanted to sync with... after selecting Outlook it tells me that it is not the default mail client, which of course it is within the control panel... Vista is beginning to infuriate.