+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Epic Geek

Display has defect

It appears that my display has a defect. I was afraid of that with the softness of this display.

I have been careful beyond belief of this device and on the screen just above the right menu there is a dark smudge that has the same consistency of the dark spots that appear when you press the stylus to the screen.

Has anyone else seen these dark spots, I searched and couldn't find any references.

I am going to call for a replacement in the AM.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    How do you hold your device? In a holster or plastic clip case?

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    How do you hold your device? In a holster or plastic clip case?
    I pocket it. Screen in with nothing else in that pocket ever. Not even accidentally.

I have kept it screen in, inside of my left pocket. Keys, lighter, change always in my right.

I guess it is possible that I bumped something with the screen facing out but its unlikely.

are you using mits as your background image? when i had mine set using that background i thought the same thing, but it was just the image...just in case you weren't already aware.

ha...could be.i see the little smudge on mine too.

Epic Geek
    No.

It is actually most noticible when I have a blank message open as a dark blotch against the white background.

I have a defect in the exact same location. A round dark spot about 1/2" across.

Care to post some pics?

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by KINetics View Post
    Care to post some pics?
    Here is a picture with the defect circled. sorry about the img quality, its from my old treo.

Last edited by depressedVZWuse; 11-15-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Yeah, that definitely looks like a defect. I would suggest going to a local Verizon store and get it swapped out right away before your 30 days are up.

If it was like that right after you purchased most likely a defect. If it happened afterwards you must of hit or press screen quite hard to cause that effect.
    This new pseudo new screen Samsung i760 uses it is more delicate than it looks.
    I can’t wait for new Samsung…. I know I know this model just came but Samsung has a lot catching up to do !

HTC latest models simply outshine Samsung almost in every aspect.

I had posted this problem about 3 weeks or so ago..... same spot in the same spot..took awhile to convince Verizon that it was not my fault and told them just wait you will have plenty of them coming back.....I will say that the new phone that I received the screen seems much firmer..

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    I pocket it. Screen in with nothing else in that pocket ever. Not even accidentally.

I have kept it screen in, inside of my left pocket. Keys, lighter, change always in my right.

I guess it is possible that I bumped something with the screen facing out but its unlikely.
    There's your problem, should have put the phone in your right pocket and keys in your left......lol

Sounds like a trip to VZW.

godd luck

I bumped this thread to say that I have the same defect in my screen, although mine is not as dark as in the pics above.

I took the phone to the store, and the agent had the nerve to say "Its supposed to look like that. Do you want me to get a new phone and show you?"

"Yeah, lets see a new phone."

Sure enough there were no spots on the new phone's screen. And I finally got her to acknowledge that they shouldn't be there.

But they couldn't order me a replacement in store so I have to call customer care.

Maybe I should've gotten the 6800 instead?

I am on my third one for the same thing, only mine would start around the top of the display and a line would grown down the screen. My phone always sits on my desk, and if I have to put it in a pocket, it goes in a jacket/hoodie pocket all by it's self.

I had the same problem! Same spot in relatively the same location! Huge conincidence if we all bumped the device in the same spot! I wonder if something under the screen in that location is giving off a large amout of heat and affecting the screen? Mine showed up after about 3 weeks of use.

I had a horrible time getting the problem taken care of.
    I took the phone to a verizon store and showed them. They agreed to replace it but didn't have any in stock. They told me to go home and call cust. service. I did that, and they told me to pack up everything into the original box and take it back to the store. They said the store would give me a "temporary reaplcement device" to use while they ordered me one.. and said they couldn't guarantee that the temp. replacement would be comparable!!!!!

I didn't have time for all that so i agreed to take a refurbished unit that they could just mail straight to my office. Bad idea. The refurb. unit was junk -- the screen required a very hard press to register the touch, so it would drop off when scrolling or writing. Plus it only sent & received sms messages when it felt like it.

I called verizon AGAIN, explained it all to them, and they ended up sending me a new phone (device only) in the mail..

All is well -- just wanted to share this story because i have a feeling more and more people are going to be reading this thread as this problem seems to be a consistant issue.

I haven't had any problems getting mine replaced, I even had a store manager offer to "upgrade" me to a 6800, but I would have had to pay for the difference (about $250), I said no thanks, send me a new I760.

The other problem I have, and it even continues with my current one, is when I am sitting in my favorite chair in the living room, I get zero bars and when the screen dims, it flickers really bad. It only does it when there is a low signal.
    Last edited by Bowtie; 01-25-2008 at 05:12 PM.

BUMP!
    Well I have the dreaded spot, the smudge, the splotch! And I got this phone replaced about 3 mos ago! Took it to the store and he gave the same story: "You'll have to call customer care..." I did get him to notate my account that an VZW tech at a store reviewed it and agreed that it was a defect. That always makes my calls to customer care easier.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I have the same blueish spot, and now I have one in the upper right corner. I was kind of waiting off to go to the verizon store to get it swapped out. Im thinking I may want to try and see if they can swap me out for a vx6900 the newer version. Seems like people are having good luck with that model.

Well just got off the phone with vz customer tech. They are shipping me a replacement refurbished phone and i should have it by the end of the week. Not too happy about the refurbished idea but hey I get to renew the 1 yr warrenty anyhow from today's date. Which I am about 6-7 months into mine.
    Hopefully this one works good, I hate playing the game of going through 3x phones until they send me a new one of my choice.

* Anyone that has 3 of the same phones with defects can swap it out to a comparible phone which would be the latest PDA with the same features. Doesnt matter the price. I actually upgraded quite a bit from an old motorola to a newer lg flip phone a few yrs back this way. Had to hassle and ***** but eventually it worked out, just have to play the game.