+ Reply to Thread

Need help to Network the i760

I have wi-fi running in my house. I am connected using the i760. I have an IP address on the network. My router sees the device in DHCP client table.

How do I make this device available on the network so that I can move files between the device and my desktop. I have a 2 gig card and want to move music, docs, etc. Activesync is a piece of crap and I hate it (besides it screws up the device if you have Exchange and run wirelesssync.

Does anyone know if this can be done, and if so, how?

It won't appear as a network peer with available shares you can copy from and to. The method you use to copy between the i760 and your computers is to install ActiveSync 4.5 then connect to the computer with the supplied USB cable. Once you do that, and make a few more settings as noted in the ActiveSync Bluetooth thread, you can then sync and move files without using the cable.
    -s

I believe that even if you use bluetooth, activesync will be running.

Your best bet is just to get a card reader for the microSD and plug it into your desktop's usb port so that you can just drag and drop.

This will be much faster if you have a lot of files to move over than if you dragged and dropped via the phone connected to the usb cord.

Unfortunately for me I have a 4gb microSDHC card and my desktop won't recognize SDHCs. I think it took almost an hour to transfer my 1.5gb TomTom USA/Canada map using the cord method.

If you find that taking the card out of the i760 every time you want to move a file too much of a hassle, then you can try the app, WM5torage. It basically turns your phone into an external drive that your computer can see. The computer will be able to access it via usb cord without having activesync (or WMDC if you have Vista) installed. Best of all, it's free.

Link
    Last edited by KINetics; 11-14-2007 at 12:11 AM.

You can move files using total commander. go to \\plugins, LAN then either quick open or new server and you will see the shared folder on your computer. for some reason, it like computer name rather than ip addresses. other than that, it works really well.

Install Resco Explorer, makes it easy as pie.