+ Reply to Thread
    Obsessed

i760 Vs. Tilt - My Impressions

So after spending several weeks with both devices, I figured I would post my impressions.

Both devices obviously have their pros and cons, some obvious and some only realized after use.

For the most part, the Tilt wins in terms of features vs. the 760, so I'll begin with some of the features not present on the i760, then mention the ones on the 760 not present on the Tilt.

FEATURES

The Tilt sports 256 ROM for storage (half available to the user) and 128 for programs versus the 64mb RAM and 128 storage on the i760.

2 other features that I really like on the Tilt are the built in aGPS and tilting screen. Of course, the aGPS (assisted GPS) is considerably weaker than what I'm used to with my Holux (SiRF) but having it integrated and available at all times has already proved very useful. In terms of the assisted aspect of the GPS, the Tilt has a program called QuickGPS that basically downloads satellite coordinates to speed the aquisition time. The cell-towers provide only 1 satelite (as far as I can tell) so it can't triangulate without a clear vision of the sky (unlike VZNavigator).

The tilting screen is handy but not all that important. I've used it while eating, or watching video during my commute.

On the left side of the device there is a scroll wheel (3-way) and OK buttons. They are convenient, but I wish the AT&T branded could have had it on the right side instead (a la blackberry). The only negative with the wheel is that depending on where the wheel stops in its scrolling, it is sometimes difficult to press in (meaning you have to push it really far for it to register.)

My favorite feature of the Tilt is the fact that it uses mini-usb. I now have an abundance of chargers and sync cables as I can use any 5v DC charger!

On the i760 side, the exposed numeric keypad is heaven-sent. It is truly the perfect complement to the PDA - and completes it use as an all-in-one PDA/Phone. Using it on the phone app dial pad alone is a breath of fresh air.

The i760 has the (phone) standard 2.5mm headphone jack which is really convenient as it allows you to use standard headsets and adapters. The Tilt has the audio integrated into its mini-usb port, so you need non-standard adapters to use your own headphones. (The AT&T branded Tytn II unlike the HTC one does not even come with headphones!)

The 760 opted to continue the tradition of putting Volume buttons on the side instead of scrolling, which I think is a mistake.

The included extended battery as well as its small size is a 10 in my book. I see no reason to even bother with the standard battery as the extended adds so little bulk. Good job samsung.

Now aside from the features, here's how the devices stacked up.

COMPARISON

As for size, they are both almost identical. Starting with the slide: The i760 is the clear winner. The sliding mechanism beats the Tilt's hands down. The Tilt slide seems smooth until you try a 760 - then the Tilt's seems like it's grating. Included in the win is the screen rotation speed. The 760 wins there too - it just works and switches faster.

The Tilt has a pretty nice feature on its keyboard - mainly 2 LED's for Caps Lock and Fn Lock, however, the keyboard on the 760 in my opinion is far superior to the Tilt's. The raised button on the 760 are easier to type with and more comfortable to use. Also, the Tilt has issues when pressing the same button twice fast, resulting in spelling mistakes.

As I am in NYC, both EVDO and 3G are available in both devices. I will call it a draw because whereas the Tilt had faster download speeds (consistently around ~900kbs vs. ~450kbps), the 760 was faster out of the gate (latency).

In general, although their processors are basically the same, the i760 is slightly faster, and feels peppier. I actually timed load times for several apps (Opera Mini, TCPMP, IE, Messaging) and the i760 beat it every time. Video playback is also better on the i760.

I tested my Moto S9 BT Headphones and both devices worked well. The Wifi was another story entirely. The Wifi on the Tilt is extremely weak. Moving 20-30 feet from the router already sends the Tilt to 50% whereas the i760 held true at 80%.

The screens are both excellent, but again I will call it a draw. The Tilt screen is clearly clearer, brighter and has more contrast. However, it isn't transflective, so it is harder to see outdoors.

The cameras on both in my opinion aren't great indoors and perform better outdoors. The Tilt wins for resolution alone - 3MP vs. 1MP. Otherwise, both were pretty similar.

Buttons. I will probably call this a draw also. The Tilt has a lot more buttons than the i760, but many are very difficult to get to, like the soft-keys, email, and explorer keys. They're pretty small.

It may seem trivial, but I have a pet peeve about the battery on the Tilt. HTC decided to put it behind an impossible to remove back cover. I love the 760's exposed battery design that I've come to be familiar with from my i730. It makes for easier battery switching. i760 wins.

Lastly it's service. Of course Verizon wins there. Less drops, less problems. Of course it's completely subjective to my location (NYC).

BOTTOM LINE

I think it all depends on what you want. If features are most important, then the Tilt is the way to go. GPS, Tilting, Memory, Camera - great features to have in a PDA. Also, using AT&T, a GSM carrier phone, allows you the ability to unlock the phone and using overseas.

If having a great all-around pda/phone is your priority (Keypad, call quality, speed) and you don't need the extra features, then the 760 is the better option.

For me, after living with the GPS built-in, as well as the 3MP camera, I don't think I can stick with the 760. I do feel like I might lose my mind with the feeling of sluggishness on the Tilt, but for now I'm ok.

I hope others find this review useful.. Feel free to comment.
    Last edited by Axman; 11-14-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Very well written and informative. As someone who had no choice (has to use Verizon for work) I think that this is an excellent comparison. Very objective and fair.

Health Sciences Consulting perlmane's Avatar
    I also have both a TyTN II and a 760. I like the TyTN II because I can talk and use the web and do email exchanges at the same time. I do not agree that the VZW network is better since I travel the world. VZW does not! There are many places in the US where VZW is much better and there are other places where AT&T is better. It all depends on where you go. As for the 760 itself, I love the keypad, but hate the lack of memory.

I like the keyboard of the TyTN II better than the 760, but I can see that this would be very personal.

Oh yes, and lest I forget, bluetooth switching works great on the TyTN II.

As it goes, I think if I had both units available on VZW and AT&T, I would go with the TyTN II and miss the keypad a lot.
    Last edited by perlmane; 11-13-2007 at 10:40 PM.
    Samsung Omnia- WM6.1 - VZW
    HTC TyTN II - WM6.1 - on the new at&t - and loving it!
    "Fact veracity is not based on the validity of the source, but on the last thing posted."

Great review and comparison, Axman! If only I could smash the two phones together and get the best of both worlds.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Pretty Good Member
    Like perlmane, I too prefer HTC keyboards. I was planning on testing the Tilt alongside my 760 before making a final decision, especially looking forward to playing with the GPS, extra RAM, and the limited amount of ROM on the 760 was also a concern.

Yada yada yada ... but after just a few days with my 760 and I knew I would not want to give up having the external dialpad. Still, I went to the local AT&T store to talk to the guy, even played with the Tilt a bit, and I was amazed at how sluggish it was, not just slow, but also hung up a couple time, and was still slow after a reboot. Perhaps it was just a bad unit in the store, but I've heard others say it's inexplicably slow.

But the bottom line for me is that the dialpad is just a much, much better convergence design. Compared with my earlier Mogul, I also found the volume and call quality on the 760 to be much superior. Not quite as robust as a PDA but a much superior phone.

Oh, I also agree that the lack of a jog wheel on the 760 is just plain wrong. If it had one, it would be just about perfectly designed for one-handed (left hand) operation.
    Last edited by robrecht; 11-13-2007 at 11:58 PM.

I do not have the Tilt, I have the TyTN II (generic). There are tons of cab files for it (another reason I love the device). One of those cabs speed the thing up significantly and it behaves just as does the i760. Also, I forgot to mention the Touch interface. That is really nice (once I got use to it).
    "Fact veracity is not based on the validity of the source, but on the last thing posted."

Quote Originally Posted by perlmane View Post
    I do not agree that the VZW network is better since I travel the world. VZW does not! There are many places in the US where VZW is much better and there are other places where AT&T is better. It all depends on where you go.
    How does this impact your assessment?

It does not. Like I said, if I had a choice between the two phones, I would pick the TyTN II. Also, the TyTN II is unlocked allowin me to purchase local sim cards, saving me a small fortune. I cannot do that with VZW because they have been notorious in keeping the phones locked to Vodaphone. The cost related this solution are not acceptable to me.

Jog dial plus USB 2.0 (and, by extension, a USB port) are the key missing pieces, IMO. A 2-way slider would be neat, but that could be too many moving parts. I understand your point, perlmane, about global GSM support, but the i760 world phone, while expensive, at least addresses the issue.

Thanks, Axman, for the write-up!

The Tilt's screen is actually LESS usable outdoors than the i760? Even on the highest brightness setting I find the i760 nearly useless in sunlight. It's one of my only major complaints about the phone.

The i730 was far superior in direct sunlight.

Obsessed
    Perlmane -

I have spent a lot of time tweaking the Tilt (using the cabs u mentioned such as Kaisertweak etc.) but the i760 is still noticeably peppier. Maybe you are doing something I'm not... Also note the i760 was peppier AFTER I tweaked the Tilt, and I didn't tweak the i760 at all!

Also good points on Verizon signal and international use. I modified my original post.

ethergnat -

The tilt screen outdoors is better if you set it to maximum brightness but IMO it's such a drain on battery that it's not worth it. Holding them side by side, the i760 is better, although I havent compared either to my i730.

I've been thinking about doing a video review where I can illustrate some of the things I mentioned. If I have the time...
    Last edited by Axman; 11-14-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axman View Post
    Perlmane -

I have spent a lot of time tweaking the Tilt (using the cabs u mentioned such as Kaisertweak etc.) but the i760 is still noticeably peppier. Maybe you are doing something I'm not... Also note the i760 was peppier AFTER I tweaked the Tilt, and I didn't tweak the i760 at all!

Also good points on Verizon signal and international use. I modified my original post.

ethergnat -

The tilt screen outdoors is better if you set it to maximum brightness but IMO it's such a drain on battery that it's not worth it. Holding them side by side, the i760 is better, although I havent compared either to my i730.

I've been thinking about doing a video review where I can illustrate some of the things I mentioned. If I have the time...

Yes, even with the tweaks the i760 is a bit faster. That is because the operating system that HTC rushed to market does not take advantage of Qualcomm's graphics processer yet. Everyone is still waiting for that to happen.

As for the screen, I also agree that the 760 is better in sunlight (but both are almost useless) and that the 730 was better. However, indoors, the TyTN II screen is much richer looking. As for the brightness, beware. The brighter the screen on any of these devices, the more useless the battery becomes.