+ Reply to Thread
    DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar

Home made inexpensive car mount

This is the third phone I've been able to do this with. First the i700, then the i730, now the i760.

I took an inexpensive car vent mount that I received four years ago with a wired GPS that I used to use with my Samsung i700 and disassembled the i700's "man-purse" (remember that) and, using two screws, attached the plastic holster to the vent mount and, voila I had a "form fitted" car mount that locked the phone in place. Then I did it again with my i730.

Well thanks to Mark_A_K's find of the inexpensive ($5.95) plastic holster sold by DiscountCell Inc. I was able to order one and attach it to my 4 year old vent mount and I now have a nifty car "form fitted" car mount for my i760.

Here it is (the i760 isn't in it because I was using it to take the pictures):

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home made inexpensive car mount-1113072249a.jpg   Home made inexpensive car mount-1113072256.jpg  
    Last edited by JimCapraro; 11-13-2007 at 11:28 PM.
    The only constant is change.

Is it me or does that thing look massive? I had a vent mount about 2 years ago. They dont really tell you how to install it and warned that it wouldn't fit certain 'high end' cars w/ vertical vent mounts. I thought, 'great, I drive a korean POS car, I should be fine'. Nope, I have vertical vents...I should have looked. For months I fought w/ it and got it to stay somewhat. Eventually I just gave up and bought a suction cup mount when I found one on sale.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

Quote Originally Posted by tange1 View Post
    Is it me or does that thing look massive?
    It does look massive in that picture, doesn't it!! Well it's really not much bigger thanthe i760 itself. Maybe, later I take a picture with my Canon digital, with the phone in it and the perspective will be better.

Cheap is the way to go!!!

Since my phone costs more than my car I was looking for a very inexpensive way to mount the phone on the dash without sinking more money into the phone. I got it!!!

I merely took a paper clip and straightened it. with a pair of pliers I worked two hooks on the end and formed the rest of it into a "U" shape. I then insterted the clips into my horizontal vents until the clipped. Then I took the cheap holster you were talking about (Jim) and I slipped down the paper clip like I would slip it into my belt. Wallah! (sp) It work like a charm!

I positioned it so it faces right at me. There is no rattle. It's in the perfect location. I run my GPS Bluetooth reciever right next to it. And, I spent $5 on the holster.

Life is good!

Granted this idea might be too simple and cost too little for some people to be interested in it, but if you like I will post a picture of my ingenious invention

Curtis
    CurtisZZZ

carefully re-crafted paper clips. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by JimCapraro View Post
    carefully re-crafted paper clips. I love it!
    LOL... I'm thinking of making a bunch of them and selling them on EBay Maybe I'll put them with the rest of the I730's up for sale. Sheeeeesh! Have you seen how many "I730 + All The Accessories" are available. Wonder how many of them are in this forum?
    CurtisZZZ

Too funny! I still have the holder I ripped out of the I700 "Man Purse" attached to that exact vent holder. Nice job JC!