+ Reply to Thread

Anyone able to get any of these to work?

Over at XDA they extracted all of the HTC Apps. I really want the HTC Album here is the link to the descriptions and to download any of these you can go to page 2 of that thread for a direct link to the cabs.

All Extracted HTC Apps (cab & oem included) - xda-developers

This is the one thing that does scare me with the I760, it seems like HTC is going out of their way to provide solutions that help the user experience and it seems as though the Samsung doesn't take to many of them outside of the Home Plugin. I just want to reap the same benefits that people with those devices are with the 760. I really enjoy this phone and lets face it the 6800 is never going to launch on VZW. I am not quite sure why some of these plugins would have a hard time running on our phone when they are running the same OS....I would think it would be like a computer whether Sony or HP an application is going to run. Let me know if any of you can get these apps running.

ok......i'll ask.what is HTC?

High Tech Computer Corporation, a Taiwan-based manufacturer of Windows-powered handheld devices.

They use to be OEM and sold their phones to be rebranded but are recently positioning to sell directly to the consumer. Some of their more notable phones include:

Cingular 8125 / T-Mobile MDA
    TyTN
    Palm Treo 750
    AT&T Tilt
    Sprint Touch
    Sprint Mogul/Verizon 6800
    T-Mobile Dash
    T-Mobile SDA
    T-Mobile Wing
    AT&T 8525
    Verizon/Sprint 6700

and of course the XDA - a range of PDA phones manufactured by HTC and rebranded by O2.

Hence XDADevelopers is a forum dedicated to all devices manufactured by HTC. IMO, out of all the Windows Mobile associated forums, they are the most knowledgeable when it comes to hacking the phones. They have been able to extract ROMs, create custom ROMs, unlock their phones, even hack the Widcomm bluetooth stack to work on their phones that originally only had the MS stack.

It's a great resource since most WM5/WM6 phones are similar, however don't be surprised if your questions about your i760 (or any other non-HTC phone) goes unanswered.
    Last edited by KINetics; 11-14-2007 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep1423 View Post
    This is the one thing that does scare me with the I760, it seems like HTC is going out of their way to provide solutions that help the user experience and it seems as though the Samsung doesn't take to many of them outside of the Home Plugin. I am not quite sure why some of these plugins would have a hard time running on our phone when they are running the same OS....I would think it would be like a computer whether Sony or HP an application is going to run.
    HTC has just been in the smartphone/PPC game longer. Plus they probably dedicate more resources to WM5/WM6 development as that is their core competency. All their phones run WM while only a small fraction of Samsung phones run WM.

The reason why the plugins don't work is because to an extent, the hardware and software is different. While the core of a WM device is the same, many manufactures make customizations to their phones and have specific drivers, DLLs written into the ROM. So when you install a HTC plug-in and run it, the plug-in is looking for a component, e.g., DLL to run the app. When it can't find it, it fails.

Your analogy of an applicatoin running on a Sony or HP is a bit off. It's more like, "how come the Sony driver won't work on my HP machine?".

Wow what an excellent explaination. Is there any way to make these work via those DLL's? that being said does Samsung offer anything outside of Picsel Browser as a custom solution? I just want their to be plenty of support for the device whether it is VZW or Samsung.

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    The best support you're likely to get for the i760 is from pdaphonehome.com. This isn't a bad thing as we're quite a sizeable and active user base and have people like MRailing and Super Dave who have an intimate knowledge and understanding of how the phone works etc and can provide hacks etc as well. SuperDave was the one who brought us WM5 for our i730 before it was ever released publicly, for instance.
    It will be interesting to see, though, how Verizon, Samsung, and or Microsoft might get more involved in providing fixes to us now that WM6 sports windows mobile update.
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

I've had some success with some HTC .cabs, but it appears that the more recent HTC software includes code that scans the registry for the hardware model and manufacturer, which is why some software will install, and sometimes run, but will appear blank or non functional. But I'll suggest these two pieces of advice:

1: Backup before you play with installing this software. Some of it will install files directly to the Windows folder on your device, and if they are not used or properly uninstalled, they will slow down your device.

2: After you figure out what you can get to work, do a hard reset (reset + action key, release reset key first), for the same reason mentioned above.

HTC makes some killer software that makes the user interface all the more functional and attractive, but as someone mentioned above, the folks at xdadevelopers are all actiong on the assumption that everyone is using an HTC device.

I've had good luck with the 1.5 version of HTC Home (PocketEmu Software: Downloads / HTC Home Plugins / HTC Home v1.5 for WM5 by Colonel) and the HTC Home Customizer (PocketEmu Software: Downloads / v1.0 (.NET CF 2.0), and the HTC dialer. But since I'm tired of hard resets and nonfuctional .cabs, I stopped after these.

I've also gotten HTC Audio Manager to run fine on the i760. Much better than Windows Media Player.

However there are a few versions out there and out of the 3 different ones I downloaded, only one of them worked.

htchomewm56tab.cab (HTC Homescreen Plug-in v1.5) downloaded from PocketEMU worked but HTC Homscreen Customizer (HHC) was not updating the customizations I was making.

HTC Homescreen Plug-in v2.0 doesn't work period. It will install, but just appear blank on the homescreen.

I had to install a different version of 1.5 (HTC.Kaizer.Home.Plugin.with.Tabsetting.schen.cab) for it to work with the latest version of HHC.

Also note, the weather tab in the Today Plug-in won't auto download the weather even though the option may be checked in HHC. I think it's due to the i760 going into sleep mode and no data connections by 3rd party apps are done when it's in sleep.

PM me with your email if you want me to send you the versions of HTC Homescreen Plug-in, HTC Home Customizer, and HTC Audio Manager that worked for me.
    Last edited by KINetics; 11-15-2007 at 05:19 PM.

wmpinfo.xml

if you do the wmpinfo.xml trick in order to get the album art, it will screw up audio manager. If it does happen to you, just go through and delete any album art tied into any files with the music in it. this threw me for a loop for a couple of minutes..haha...good luck