+ Reply to Thread

Why I love my i760 (over my XV6700)

I received my i760 just over 2 weeks ago, as a replacement for my XV6700. Being my first PDA phone, I really loved the 6700 because it was an extension of my home PC. It had it's problems for me (sluggish, needed to be constantly rebooted, and the touch screen started to fail me towards the end), BUT it did everything I needed as an extension of my home PC.

So getting the i760, I just wanted a simple replacement for my old PDA. Surprisingly, I got so much more! And I love it, and I can't imagine going back. My comparisons will be based on the XV6700, but I'm sure this applies to many phones as well.

I have my reasons, but I would love to hear everyone else's as well... maybe I'll learn from you even more reasons to love this phone!

Firstly, I love the new WM6. The voice command capability alone is awesome. No more preprogramming my voice contacts. And no more having a limit of only 25 voice commands. This thing can do it all.

Secondly, this thing is not sluggish. I am a physician, and I have a few medical books/programs that I frequently use. I can have them all running in the background and the thing keeps on chugging along. No lags (or at least so much improved from the 6700).

Thirdly, the frontside keypad. I can text, search for contacts, dial, etc. using the keypad. The touchscreen keypad on the 6700 was a cool concept, but in reality was difficult to use, impossible to text with, and invisible when outdoors.

Which brings me to why I love my i760 reason number 4. The screen is much brighter. I can see my screen when outside. Impossible on the 6700.

Next, its sleeker thinner style is much nicer than any previous PDA phone (IMO) from Verizon. Especially since it doesn't have any sort of antenna, which for some reason almost every Verizon phone has to have one. It just looks nicer. It's also much lighter than the brick I call my XV6700.

The battery life is another plus for me. It can last the whole day for me, and my average day includes over an hour of phone talk time, 15 minute email checks, using my medical programs about 1 hour a day, and about 1 hour of internetting per day. On the standard battery, I can go from 8am - 10:30pm and still have about 25% battery life. On the extended battery it will be at 50%. And this is without having to top off during the day. No way I could do half of this with my old XV6700.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but I can't think of any right now.

I'd love to hear other people's opinions and reasons why you love your i760.

Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by DazednConfuzed View Post
    Secondly, this thing is not sluggish. I am a physician, and I have a few medical books/programs that I frequently use. I can have them all running in the background and the thing keeps on chugging along. No lags (or at least so much improved from the 6700).
    What medical software do you use- can ou review it briefly here?

Medical Software

Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    What medical software do you use- can ou review it briefly here?
    I'm an ER doc, so I use these 4 programs which suit my needs:

1. Tarascon Pharmacopoeia. It's the same Pharmacopoeia that came in the little book we all used to carry in our pockets. Except much better. No more having to look things up in the index then searching the book. I hear it's similar to ePocrates, and some people like that better. But I personally like Pharmacopoeia better, for no other reason then I've used it since medical school.

2. Sanford Guide. We've all used this book to look up whatever current infectious disease questions we've had. That's pretty self explanatory.

3. ER Suite 6.0 by Medical Wizards. This is a nice little program that has among other things, the ability to calculate medications for children based on weight. It has ACLS protocols, drip calculators, fluid calculators, NALS, PALS protocols. About 22 different little program/calculators in it. A nice compact program.

4. 5 Minute Emergency Consult by Skyscape. This is just like the book which you might have seen before. It's also nice because you don't have to index anything, just type in the topic and it's there. This is nice to have because it gives bullet information about a disease and you can select Basic information, Diagnosis, Treatment, Medications, Follow-up (Disposition).

Do you use any particular ones that you recommend?

I'm switching over from Palm OS to WM, so I'm trying to decide which Skyscape products I really would like to spend such big $$ on. I've used two clinical anesthesia programs which are OK, but after a few tries of not finding what I'm looking for (because Skyscape medical texts are notorious for what they don't include) I stopped using them. I had Harrison's and I may buy that again.

As for ePocrates, I've used it since it first came out and I'm used to it, so I'll reinstall it for WM.

The biggest plus for me is... NO MORE DATA ERROR CODE 37!! This error would shut off the data side of the phone and I would have no idea until I realized that I have not recieved e-mail for a few hours, and I would need to perform a soft-reset and then a whole big batch of emails would come flooding through! Verizon could not figure out what the problem was and replaced 7 handsets, never to find out why it was happening. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Pretty Good Member
    How does 5 Minute Emergency Consult compare with Harrisons?

BTW, I too prefer my i760 because of its phone ergonomics and functionality. The front dialpad maks this a much better convverged device than previous designs but the voice clarity and volume also make this a superior phone, even though the 6800 & especially the Tilt are a little better as PDAs.

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    How does 5 Minute Emergency Consult compare with Harrisons?

BTW, I too prefer my i760 because of its phone ergonomics and functionality. The front dialpad maks this a much better convverged device than previous designs but the voice clarity and volume also make this a superior phone, even though the 6800 & especially the Tilt are a little better as PDAs.

I haven't used Harrison's for years, so my memory might be inaccurate, but 5 Min Emerg Consult is more of a bullet, look-it-up-in-a-minute kind of text. When you need to be reminded of the important issues of diseases. If I remember correctly Harrison's is much more detailed and more of an Internist's type of book.

I completely agree with why the i760 is better (for me) than the 6800 and the Tilt. (I was contemplating getting those) Just the front dial pad alone negates the other benefits of the 6800/Tilt (for me)

I still have the xv6700 and it too was/is my first pdaphone. I LOVE my brick, and have customized it so much that I'm fearful of changing over, but am considering the i760 after holding it the other day.

Was the transition of contacts/files easy for you or did you have to start fresh?

I would start fresh anyway, as some of your apps may not be as stable on WM6.

i too had a 6700 (which was also my first ppc)...for me that experience was nightmarish. so much so, that i questioned whether i would ever go with another ppc. constant soft and hard resets, despite never loading any 3rd party apps, despite getting 2 replacement units. battery life was so bad, i never really got to put the device to work. it was always, always completely drained of power well before the end of my work day, despite buying a replacement battery. the lack of a dialpad was frustrating, especially if i found myself in the sun, b/c as you say, the screen was all but invisible. from there i went to the moto q. i knew that i was sacrificing quite a few features, but i actually got far more use out of it, the battery was more than adequate for more than a full day, wasn't petrified to install 3rd party's b/c the phone was stable, it fit in my pocket, had a dialpad, etc. when i saw the i760, i was scared to death b/c it drew me back in, despite my past nightmares. i was on this board every day, reading every thread, asking questions, checking out programs and apps, the whole nine. best phone i've ever owned...for 3 weeks! maybe it'll fall apart next month, or freeze up tomorrow, but so far, it has been perfect. it took some time getting it set up to my liking, but with the help of my forum friends, it is now without question the best mobile device i've ever owned. i've installed more software on this phone than i have on my computer...okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's a lot i tell ya, and what has impressed me the most...not one hard reset. not a single solitary one. i've done some reg edits, still no probs. i love it. it's light and compact (for a ppc), very functional, good looking, pocketable, great battery life (and they throw in an extended battery anyway), and most of all, it's stable. fuse, i really think you'll thank yourself over and over for taking the plunge.

I fi had all the issues you did, I wouldn't have any issues switching either, but i haven't... it's like buying a new car when you still really like your current one. You may be moving up in class, but it won't be contoured to your butt like your current gem.

If this had more memory i think I would switch in an instant. Instead I'm going to grab this when my new every 2 thing comes up in December. I'll keep looking here though.

Smile

Thanks a ton for the comments. Helped finalize my decision. Currently running the XV6700 with basically just spb apps and at least 3 times a day it requires soft resets and have about had it. Decent phone minus the soft resets and poor battery life. Glad to see the good reviews on the I 760 as that is the direction I am now headed.

I would have 2 second you on this. I too am coming from the xv6700, and it had just about had it, when my I760 can in the mail

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    First off I'd like to say that I installed wm6 on my xv6700 ... and absolutely loved it ... battery life was better, more stable ... I also did the radio upgrade and I was getting about 3 bars more signal than my I730 ... and still get about 2 more than my 760 ... all was well except one thing ...

I'm hard of hearing ... I was constantly turning the speaker phone on ... turning the phone around and listening to the speaker ... and this only worked after I did the speaker mod ... with the screen thing .. with the 760 ... I actually sometimes have to turn the in call volume down ... me .. mister deef ... it's awsome ...

The other huge improvement on the 760 for me is the camera ... I don't think the camera itself is better ... both 1.3 ... but .. the software for the 760's camera is way better ... with the 6700 I felt I needed a tripod to hold the phone still till the shutter did it's thing ... not so with the 760 ... much smoother and quicker to the trigger ... resulting in sharper pics ....
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

...I'm going to HATE installing all my programs again.
    Anyone have issues with any of the following?
    -Treo-like picture dial
    -WeatherPanel
    -AgileMessenger
    -cLaunch
    -TotalCommander
    -GSPlayer
    -Spybot
    -WisBAR2

and yes, I will be searching after I post this. =)