+ Reply to Thread

Storage Card Access Problems?

Hey folks,

Long time forum reader, sporadic poster. I've gotten both the i730 and the i760 when they were first available and love them both, mostly due to the power users found here on this forum.

Anyway, to my problem, does anybody else have the issue where when your phone is dormant for a long period of time (i.e. over night) and when it comes back to life, your storage card seems to have disappeared? I did a quick search of the forum to look for a similar issue (so I apologize if this is a duplicate post).

I fix the problem by soft resetting, but I never had this issue with my i730. I recently checked again this morning and saw when I went into my messaging options, it appeared that the i760 didn't recognize there was a storage card. I have a 2GB SanDisk microSD card. Standard, as I don't listen to music or watch movies on my phone, I didn't want to bother with the 4GB hack that's available.

I have the following apps loaded on my phone:

Main Memory
    - Phone Alarm
    - Pocket Breeze
    - Pocket Weather
    - Slide 2 Unlock 2
    - MRailing Short Date fix
    - PHM Registry Editor

Storage Card
    - Live Search
    - Google Maps
    - Total Commander
    - MemMaid

I didn't load all my previous programs onto this new phone yet (i.e. TomTom, Slingbox, etc) as I still want to wait and see how these more intense programs hold up by others.

Any thoughts? Anybody else share this same problem?! I appreciate any input, thanks!

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yohan77 View Post
    Hey folks,

Long time forum reader, sporadic poster. I've gotten both the i730 and the i760 when they were first available and love them both, mostly due to the power users found here on this forum.

Anyway, to my problem, does anybody else have the issue where when your phone is dormant for a long period of time (i.e. over night) and when it comes back to life, your storage card seems to have disappeared? I did a quick search of the forum to look for a similar issue (so I apologize if this is a duplicate post).

I fix the problem by soft resetting, but I never had this issue with my i730. I recently checked again this morning and saw when I went into my messaging options, it appeared that the i760 didn't recognize there was a storage card. I have a 2GB SanDisk microSD card. Standard, as I don't listen to music or watch movies on my phone, I didn't want to bother with the 4GB hack that's available.

I have the following apps loaded on my phone:

Main Memory
    - Phone Alarm
    - Pocket Breeze
    - Pocket Weather
    - Slide 2 Unlock 2
    - MRailing Short Date fix
    - PHM Registry Editor

Storage Card
    - Live Search
    - Google Maps
    - Total Commander
    - MemMaid

I didn't load all my previous programs onto this new phone yet (i.e. TomTom, Slingbox, etc) as I still want to wait and see how these more intense programs hold up by others.

Any thoughts? Anybody else share this same problem?! I appreciate any input, thanks!
    I would install all sw to the device and not the storage card.
    You have plenty of space for all your sw that you listed.
    Last edited by Mark_A_K; 11-14-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Is your microSD renamed to "Storage Card 2"?

When you look via File Explorer, is there a folder called Storage Card and another called Storage Card 2? This has happened to me twice already. I soft reset the phone and my storage card appears to be gone. I find that my microSD card is renamed to Storage Card 2 and a folder called Storage Card has been added to Main Memory.

I believe this is caused by my telling Outlook to put mail attachments to the microSD card. When the phone boots, Outlook appears to try to find the attachment folder on the microSD card before the OS has recognized the card. Outlook then proceeds to create a new Storage Card folder in main memory and creates the mail attachment folders.

This really screws me up because I use Easy Sync to sync my storage card to the PC. To fix the problem, I delete the new Storage Card folder from main memory and rename Storage Card 2 to Storage Card. All is then fine; but Easy Sync then resyncs the entire SD Card... which takes about 3 hours for 1300 files on my 4GB Card.

I am thinking that unchecking the "Store attachments on Storage Card" option in Outlook will fix the problem; but I have a lot of attachments and don't want to take the chance of filling main memory.

I found a discussion on this exact issue on the V6700 forum. Has anyone else experienced this on their i760?
    Last edited by jfourman; 11-14-2007 at 09:47 AM.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Mark -> I know most people probably install directly to main memory for most or all of their apps, but my reasoning is any program that needs to be loaded up on my Today Screen or is known to be unstable on a SD card, I load into main memory. All other apps that aren't used often or don't require to be loaded on my Today Screen, I load onto my SD card. However, if you believe that will fix my storage card issue, I'll give it a try. This leads me to my next thought as it syncs with jfourman's concern.

jfourman -> I don't have a secondary Storage Card 2 folder that appears on my phone, I just lose the Storage Card folder entirely. I too sync all my mail attachments to my SD card, but I've never encountered what you have personally. A soft reset restores my link to my SD card, but that is quite odd to me. I'd rather have all my mail, text, html and attachments on my SD Card, but the previous hacks doesn't work and I haven't seen a solution yet.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Try this.

1.Tell the device to store mail attachmants to the SD card.
    2.Do a soft reset.

3.Check your mail. (send & receive)
    4.Check for doup storage card folder and make sure that you can see the storage card.
    5.Stop the mail program using task manager.

6.Pull the card out.
    7.Insert the card back in.

8.Check your mail. (send & receive)
    9.Check for doup storage card folder and make sure that you can see the storage card.

Let us know what you find.