+ Reply to Thread

ARRGH! Cannot connect to Activesync!

Im trying to connect my i760 to my windows xp desktop to no avail. I keep getting "ActiveSync cannot connect to windows mobile device...". I have disabled Zonealarm, have restarted my phone and pc many times, have enable usb connection, and nothing. Anyone have any insight on what to try next? Please help.

God, I have a problem. It's me. michele654's Avatar
    In the Settings, USB to PC section, I had to uncheck "Enable advanced network functionality" and then all was fine. Have you tried that?

-Michele

Sweet thanx Michele, that worked!

thanks Michele, it worked for me too
    Kevin

Is there a solution other than turning off Advanced network functionality? I had this same problem and just gave up on it. I dont sync my phone through ActiveSync. I only connected via USB to move large files from the PC to the SD card on the Phone when I didn't have access to a SD card reader. Or just to use the phone as a temp storage between work & home PC.

I never had a problem doing this with the i730. It had no "Advanced network functionality" option but it did show up as a network adapter that would get a pingable IP. Namely I could FTP from the Phone to the PC. turning off advanced network functionality makes the Phone show up as a serial port which you cant do normal tcp/ip activities over, for me no FTP.

So no one else cares that we are losing functionality from the old version of this phone with this fix

I've just about come to the realization that I won't be using an i760 because I can't get Activesync to install properly. After so much reading- here & elsewhere- and anticipation, I'm severely bummed and remorseful for having bought accessories & s/w in advance, so convinced was I that this was going to work as I'd seen it do for others. Sigh.

James, are you able to synch any PIM data from your PC? That's what would render the phone slavageable if I could somehow synch just w/ outlook.

Advanced network functionality

Once you turn off that USB --> PC setting (adv network functionality) and get the Activesync working, try enabling it again and seeing if you can still sync/connect. I had to turn it off to get mine to sync to my work PC, and once it was working I re-enabled it and things continued to work.

LT

Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    I've just about come to the realization that I won't be using an i760 because I can't get Activesync to install properly. After so much reading- here & elsewhere- and anticipation, I'm severely bummed and remorseful for having bought accessories & s/w in advance, so convinced was I that this was going to work as I'd seen it do for others. Sigh.

James, are you able to synch any PIM data from your PC? That's what would render the phone slavageable if I could somehow synch just w/ outlook.
    Via ActiveSync? Hate to say it but no. Not any more. I use Verizon Wireless Sync. I am a consultant so I have to manage my companies mail & calendar and my contracts mail & calendar. I don't care about having my contracts mail on my phone but i need my calendar. I used VZWsync monitor on my home PC to sync my companies email & calendar to my phone, which works OK except for the whole sending mail thing(look for my other threads). Thats actually saved me multiple times in terms of syncing up Contacts and calendar.
    For my Contracts mail & calendar I tried using active sync. Using DOMO + Outlook + ActiveSync worked for a few weeks. Eventually my calendar started getting corrupted, I was doing resets and F'ing with it way too much and burning time. Missed a meeting or two and got scolded I dont have time to touch it anymore so I just delegate all my meetings to my companies mail so it gets on my calendar that way.

I tried turning off advanced network functionality. That connects fine. ActiveSync immediately works. But again Im moving big files so ActiveSync cant be used for that(just wont transfer the file). I turned it back on and Im back to square one. Im starting to think its my XP install. So completely my fault. I have the feeling if I blow away a lot that I have installed I'd be OK. Is anyone having this problem on Vista?

Thanks, James for the suggestion to use Vzw Wireless Sync. I was able to establish a synch between my 760 and Outlook 2007 (even though the installation files for Wireless Synch say the latest Outlook supported is 2003, FYI), and now my 760 is functional. Not being able to sync with Activesync I am limited to software that can be added directly to the 760 or by cab files, but it's better than nothing!

np, glad I could be of some help.

Surprised this isn't getting more attention. I think the "disable advanced networking" is more of a bandaid then anything else. No one else took advantage of what that feature allows you to do?

Does anyone know what "advanced network functionality" actually provides and what we lose when we uncheck it?

Disabling advanced network functionality is "just" a change in the protocol used to communicate between the PDA and the device. Instead of RNDIS (when ANF is on), you'll use PPP. I don't believe you'll actually "lose" anything.

small dilemma

i'm having the same problem, just in a slightly different scenario. i'm using an SCH-i760 with a broken screen. could you guys give me the keystrokes to get to that part of the settings, so i can change the status of that box? that'd be a great help

Well, I have to say that my active Sync works, Kind-of-Sort-Of. When I plug my i760 into my personal laptop running XP, all connects quickly and updates properly. However when I plug my i760 into my corporate desk top running windows 2000, there are times when it takes over 5 minutes before Active Sync realizes my i760 is plugged in. In a few instances, ActiveSynch never did see my i760 on the Corp. machine. I had to re-boot the Corp. Machine and ActiveSynch immediately picked up the connection with the i760.

Like I say, ActiveSynch works, Kinda-Sort-Of. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    T

I gave up on syncing thru the USB cable, too unreliable. I use Bluetooth exclusively now thru a Motorola PC850 Bluetooth PC Adapter.