+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Hobby of the week-aholic
    Join Date
    11-14-2007
    Posts
    75

    Question Forum Search tips

    I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now but have only just registered today. I have noticed that there are indeed many "forum Nazis" (as with just about any forum these days) with regard to people posting questions before searching.

    My problem is that the search feature here is not very useful unless I am missing something. I tried searching for a few different things and the results only direct me to the thread, not the post, that matches my search. This is completely useless when the thread is 10, 15, or even 101 pages in length (I did come across one this long in my searches) and only one post in the thread matches the search criteria. I understand that people should do their homework before asking others to do it for them but I don't have the time to read through 100 pages of posts to find the single post in the thread that matched my search.

    So.... is there a way to display the search results as posts, not threads? Maybe I'm missing something somewhere.

  2. #2
    Alchemist dfkimbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-30-2007
    Location
    Franklin, Tennessee
    Posts
    477
    Click the Search button next to the Links button at the top of the screen. This will bring up the advanced search page. There is a radio button at the bottom to display specific posts instead of the entire thread. You can also click the Show Posts radio button under the quick Search box.

    One annoying quirk is that the search doesn't work for three-letter words, like GPS, so sometimes you may need to be more specific and use terms like "Tom Tom" or "Garmin" or "maps". For something that isn't device-specific, expand your search beyond the specific forum for your device.

    Welcome to the forums!
    -Duncan

    "If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

  3. #3
    Hobby of the week-aholic
    Join Date
    11-14-2007
    Posts
    75
    thank you. that makes life SO much easier. I was hoping i was just missing something and the search wasn't that crippled.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-10-2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    431
    I think there should be a sticky at the top of the forums that show all the search tricks. I have problems too. I try to search specific phrases and still get a bunch of non related stuff that comes up. I've put it in quotes and added the word and between the words along with a few other things and it still won't come up with specific phrases. Is there a search FAQ?
    Gary

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-10-2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    159
    A quick tip I recently learned: for searches on things like 3 letter words, use a
    google search as depicted below.

    site:pdaphonehome.com xxx (xxx= 3 letter word)
    ... or use any other word or phrase for the search.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-18-2007
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by garyhesq View Post
    I think there should be a sticky at the top of the forums that show all the search tricks. I have problems too. I try to search specific phrases and still get a bunch of non related stuff that comes up. I've put it in quotes and added the word and between the words along with a few other things and it still won't come up with specific phrases. Is there a search FAQ?
    What he said. +3

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-19-2005
    Location
    Allentown PA
    Posts
    1,376
    Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    A quick tip I recently learned: for searches on things like 3 letter words, use a
    google search as depicted below.

    site:pdaphonehome.com xxx (xxx= 3 letter word)
    ... or use any other word or phrase for the search.
    This is a great way to search if your not comming up w/ expected results (assuming you recall seeing a thread). It equally works if your new and know nothing.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-17-2006
    Location
    arlington, va
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
    Click the Search button next to the Links button at the top of the screen. This will bring up the advanced search page. There is a radio button at the bottom to display specific posts instead of the entire thread. You can also click the Show Posts radio button under the quick Search box.
    Also, once in a thread, there is a "Search this thread" option to hone in on the relevant posts.

  9. #9
    Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-27-2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitticeps View Post
    I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now but have only just registered today. I have noticed that there are indeed many "forum Nazis" (as with just about any forum these days) with regard to people posting questions before searching.

    My problem is that the search feature here is not very useful unless I am missing something. I tried searching for a few different things and the results only direct me to the thread, not the post, that matches my search. This is completely useless when the thread is 10, 15, or even 101 pages in length (I did come across one this long in my searches) and only one post in the thread matches the search criteria. I understand that people should do their homework before asking others to do it for them but I don't have the time to read through 100 pages of posts to find the single post in the thread that matched my search.

    So.... is there a way to display the search results as posts, not threads? Maybe I'm missing something somewhere.
    One of the things that we assume is that you have spent some time on a forum before and know how to perform a search.
    I don’t think I every joined a forum or list or what ever and within my first 20 posts complained about the list.

    There are a lot of people on this list that spend a lot of time helping others but we do ask that you learn how to perform basic things like searching. Your lack of desire to spend time on searching and reading doesn’t warrant us to start typing madly to answer your questions or issue ASAP. This is not a paid support site.

    Having said that, I am glad that someone took the time to share their search tips with you. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

    Sorry for not being politically correct. Maybe it's becuse I have a cold........nahhhhhh.

    Mark

  10. #10
    Hobby of the week-aholic
    Join Date
    11-14-2007
    Posts
    75
    Well if you'll look at my post again you'll see that I did not ask anyone to find anything for me. I simply asked how to better use the search function so that I could find the information I needed myself.

    And yes I have using forums for about a decade, and am still currently an admin of a forum not much smaller than this one on another totally different subject. But each forum software is a bit different and I am unfamiliar with this one and the forum FAQ does not give any further details on searching than to simply click the search link at the top of each page. Aside from asking the question in the forum I do not know of any other way to find these tidbits of helpful info when, as the topic is, I could not figure out how to use the search function effectively. If you would like people to do their own research via searching then it would seem you would happily assist them in understanding the search tool so that they may become as self sufficient expected.

    The reality of ANY online forum is that there will be people who do not even attempt to find their answers on their own. Then there are those who will read a forum for extended periods of time, soaking up all that they can and never ask a question because nearly every question they have has already been asked and answered somewhere. But there are also those who live to help and indeed like to provide the answers, trolling every thread looking for one they can offer their assistance on. A forum cannot truly thrive without each of these as each one feeds the needs of another. That doesn't mean that each is happy with the others but that's what makes us human.

    Having said all of that, before we go into forum police mode, lets make sure we read and understand what the OP is asking.

    Thank you for the welcome.

    And if I wasn't politically correct, I apologize as well. We all have our pet peeves.

  11. #11
    Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Join Date
    11-28-2003
    Location
    Grand Junction, Co.
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitticeps View Post
    Well if you'll look at my post again you'll see that I did not ask anyone to find anything for me. I simply asked how to better use the search function so that I could find the information I needed myself.

    And yes I have using forums for about a decade, and am still currently an admin of a forum not much smaller than this one on another totally different subject. But each forum software is a bit different and I am unfamiliar with this one and the forum FAQ does not give any further details on searching than to simply click the search link at the top of each page. Aside from asking the question in the forum I do not know of any other way to find these tidbits of helpful info when, as the topic is, I could not figure out how to use the search function effectively. If you would like people to do their own research via searching then it would seem you would happily assist them in understanding the search tool so that they may become as self sufficient expected.

    The reality of ANY online forum is that there will be people who do not even attempt to find their answers on their own. Then there are those who will read a forum for extended periods of time, soaking up all that they can and never ask a question because nearly every question they have has already been asked and answered somewhere. But there are also those who live to help and indeed like to provide the answers, trolling every thread looking for one they can offer their assistance on. A forum cannot truly thrive without each of these as each one feeds the needs of another. That doesn't mean that each is happy with the others but that's what makes us human.

    Having said all of that, before we go into forum police mode, lets make sure we read and understand what the OP is asking.

    Thank you for the welcome.

    And if I wasn't politically correct, I apologize as well. We all have our pet peeves.
    He shoots ... He Scores !!!

    Seriously ... I've been in this forum a long time ... one of the few I visit and the only one I visit religiously ... I'm one of those guys that search and search and search ... but never really find what I'm looking for ... even after reading tons of pages ... I think a FAQ about searching would be very helpful ... and I love the idea of discussing how to search in a thread ... "Teach a man to fish ... you feed him forever" ... my 2 cents
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-17-2006
    Location
    arlington, va
    Posts
    1,117

  13. #13
    Fisher of Men mwfielder's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2003
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    4,752
    as stated in the link above, if you add an asterisk after your 3 letter search item, it will search for it.
    Jeremiah 29:11

  14. #14
    Alchemist dfkimbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-30-2007
    Location
    Franklin, Tennessee
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by mwfielder View Post
    as stated in the link above, if you add an asterisk after your 3 letter search item, it will search for it.
    Now that's a great tip. Thanks.
    -Duncan

    "If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts