+ Reply to Thread

SmartPhone profiles...

I know that SmartPhones have "phone profiles" but I was wondering if the 760 has is - and if so where? I got mine last Friday and LOVE it so much better than the 730. I do miss the functionality of phone profiles from the Smartphone OS - which I thought the 760 was going to incorporate more of because of WM6?

Suggestions anyone?

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by echew View Post
    I know that SmartPhones have "phone profiles" but I was wondering if the 760 has is - and if so where? I got mine last Friday and LOVE it so much better than the 730. I do miss the functionality of phone profiles from the Smartphone OS - which I thought the 760 was going to incorporate more of because of WM6?

Suggestions anyone?
    It does not come standard with the device.
    do a search here for PhoneAlarm and PhoneAlarm Lite.

Problem W/ Phone Alarm (PA) Profiles and Voice Command

Mark
    Last edited by Mark_A_K; 11-15-2007 at 01:05 PM.

by profiles, are you referring to "loud, normal, meeting, silent"? if so, i find the volume controls on the side to be far quicker. if i'm missunderstanding the question, forgive me.

You are correct on the profiles. The luxury of this feature on SmartPhones is that the phone would automagicly change to the Meeting mode or any other profile based on your appointments in your Outlook calander. This is a BUILT in feature of WM SmartPhone and apparently not in the PPC version. My understanding was that WM6 was supposed to merge the two operating systems. The ONLY known way to do this was with PhoneAlarm - which IMHO causes more issues than its worth. Good program, but too big for what I want or need as well.

Eric

echew - I'm a longtime Smartphone user and a recent convert to the i760. I used my Profiles settings frequently and came to rely on them. I purchased PhoneAlarm Lite and it's been a real help. When you say "causes more problems than its worth", I'm mystified. I've been using it for 2 weeks and have yet to see a problem. What issues have you seen/heard of?

Question, will PhoneAlarm let my bluetooth in my car let me know a call is coming in if I forgot to raise the volume on my unit? I ask because I was at a conference the other day and had the volume turned all the way down and when I left I forgot to turn it back up, as a result I missed an important call (they tried to call 3 times). On my old smartphone (Pantech PN-820) if I forgot to change the profile back to normal it would change to headset when it paired with my vehicle and all the calls would come through. I really liked that feature. I don't always forget, but when your are talking to your boss you don't what to look like you are being rude by playing with your phone while they are walking with you after meeting or conference. Anyway if PhoneAlarm will do this great, if not does anyone know of something that will?
    Thanks for all the great ideas out here!
    mlc

Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    echew - I'm a longtime Smartphone user and a recent convert to the i760. I used my Profiles settings frequently and came to rely on them. I purchased PhoneAlarm Lite and it's been a real help. When you say "causes more problems than its worth", I'm mystified. I've been using it for 2 weeks and have yet to see a problem. What issues have you seen/heard of?
    I've had weird troubles with PhoneAlarm in the past - even purchased it. The problems I experienced were random lockups of the device, certain functions not working correctly (like the Wifi options), etc. So I just gave up on it. Its getting too big for what I need it for. But for what I'm doing on the 760, PhoneAlarm is overkill for just the profiles option. Would be nice for someone to try and port the profiles code to the PPC side.

Take a look at Spb Phone Suite

I use Spb Phone Suite for profiles. It doesn't have as many bells and whistles as PhoneAlarm; but it has worked effectively for me and has not caused a single problem.

Spb Phone Suite - Pocket PC Products - Spb Software House
    i760 (i730 upgrader)