+ Reply to Thread

Preloaded Program Removal

I was just wondering if anyone has removed any of the programs that came with the phone, their are a few that I will never use and wanted to know if their was a way to free up the space.

The first thing I did when I got my phone was hard reset it. I don't believe anything was auto-installed after that, which would mean everything remaining is running from ROM.

You might be able to free up some RAM if any unwanted programs are starting automatically, but you can't remove programs files from ROM.

So i can't remove programs such as Get Applications, picsel browser, d-day, calculator, windows media? I have downloaded programs that are upgrades and have no use for them anymore, I was really hoping their was a way to get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris5 View Post
    So i can't remove programs such as Get Applications, picsel browser, d-day, calculator, windows media? I have downloaded programs that are upgrades and have no use for them anymore, I was really hoping their was a way to get rid of them.
    No, you cant. They are in the ROM of the device. You cant remove them or recover the space that they are using. Unlike some devices it appears that every piece of software is loaded in the ROM. On some devices after a hardreset you can quickly cancel the install of some additional software but this doesn't appear to be the case w/ the i760
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

Quote Originally Posted by tange1 View Post
    No, you cant. They are in the ROM of the device. You cant remove them or recover the space that they are using. Unlike some devices it appears that every piece of software is loaded in the ROM. On some devices after a hardreset you can quickly cancel the install of some additional software but this doesn't appear to be the case w/ the i760
    The only one I know of that you can remove is Sync Client--Which is wireless sync. If you don't use it you can remove it in Settings > system >remove programs. I guess the Wireless Sync is not really in ROM so I don't know if a hard reset removes it or not. Wireless sync was not on my phone after I did hard reset and I had to download it from the OTA site.

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    The only one I know of that you can remove is Sync Client--Which is wireless sync. If you don't use it you can remove it in Settings > system >remove programs. I guess the Wireless Sync is not really in ROM so I don't know if a hard reset removes it or not. Wireless sync was not on my phone after I did hard reset and I had to download it from the OTA site.
    I stand corrected, I believe you are partially correct and I'm partially correct. Let me explain: I have a wireless sync icon after hardrests. If I click on the icon it prompts me to install the app so it doesn't come down pre-installed but presumably takes a small amount of space for the installer(probably in the range of KB's not MB's). It's very likely this installer is in ROM.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com