+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advise Needed. Treo650 to i760 ?

Hey guys, I have an older Treo 650 which is on its last legs. I use my Treo to keep my contact list, appointments, alarms, etc. Nothing too Palm specific.

I like the looks of the i760 and after reading thru alot of your posts here I have a few questions.

I text alot, with the Palm and querty (sp?) keyboard, I can text with one hand... can you text on the i760 with out sliding the phone open? Also the Treo does "chat threads" for SMS msgs. So you can basically follow the converstaion of the text in order (instead of a reg. cell phone with just has a seperate inbox and seperate outbox).

Overall... how durable is the phone?

Thanks for your time,
    Scott

You can get more detailed answers by searching the forum, but in summary:

You can text using the front dialpad, but I wouldn't recommend it ... especially coming from a treo.

WM6 doesn't come with threaded SMS, but there is a specific thread dedicated to getting it to work on the i760.

Also, if you plan on migrating your contacts to Outlook, anything in your 'Custom 1 or Custom 2' field in your address book will not get migrated. I also came from a treo 650, and that was the only problem I had.

Thanks DJ,

I found the posts on the threaded SMS. My concern with text'n from the front is while driving... I highly doubt you can text one handed with the keyboard-phone slid open without crashing the car!!

The phone looks to be a winner... the more I read the more I like it!

If it's that important to text while you are behind the wheel - pull over.

Well funny, I love(d) my TREO 650. It was also on it's last leg. I went out and bought a i760 two days ago and you mention two things that I miss.

1) Although the keyboard on the 760 rocks I do miss the smaller keyboard on the front of the TREO. Even though the 760s keyboard is bigger it's not much easier to use.

2) The threaded SMS messages rock. I hate the damn inbox style system that WM6 uses.

Here's some more stuff you're not going to like.

1) The damn phone doesn't turn on by tapping any buttons or the screen. You have to fumble for this little tiny button way up on top of the device.

2) The send / End buttons are in a stupid spot. novel yes, but damn stupid.

3) The TREO can be charged and docked at the same time, the i760 can only do one or the other and you sure can't use it with one hand.

4) The TREO has much better resolution at 320 x 320 the two and a half year newer i760 STILL only has 320 x 240.

5) TREO had a mini SD instead of the stupid micro SD

While I'm on this here's some stuff you should love (if you're into computers)

1) You can RDP (remote desktop) Verizon neatly omitted it from the OS but it's out on the web to re-install. Connecting to servers to do administrative tasks from your PDA is awesome.

2) Bluetooth teathering your laptop to the PDA for highspeed internet.

3) Highspeed internet speaks for itself.

4) much better camera.

jadkar.... thanks for the info. I appreciate your input.

And yes Darkset... while you are correct in your reply.. I definately laughed at it as well!

I guess there is more of me out there.

I retired the Treo 650, which had served 2 faithful years(last legs for sure), and I'm on day 2 of i760.

Haven't loaded anything yet, just getting the lay of the land. But I'm glad I found this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder.45 View Post
    I guess there is more of me out there.

I retired the Treo 650, which had served 2 faithful years(last legs for sure), and I'm on day 2 of i760.

Haven't loaded anything yet, just getting the lay of the land. But I'm glad I found this site.
    And your initial impressions ?

Well, I'm reserving judgment just yet. I am finding some things that I preferred on the Treo. But I'm sure there are apps to help me out.
    1st neg is no threaded sms.
    2nd neg is contacts were much easier to find and dial on Treo.
    3rd neg is more complex, I think this phone needs more customization to act the way you want it to

Pros, speed of web, I think this phone needs more customization to act the way you want it to

Well, I'm reserving judgment just yet. I am finding some things that I preferred on the Treo. But I'm sure there are apps to help me out.
    1st neg is no threaded sms.
    2nd neg is contacts were much easier to find and dial on Treo.
    3rd neg is more complex, I think this phone needs more customization to act the way you want it to

Pros, speed of web, I think this phone needs more customization to act the way you want it to
    I'm curious about your 2nd negative. When I want to dial a contact I use the front keypad to type in the name and it will bring up my contacts. How much easier did the Treo make it?

Quote Originally Posted by scottg22 View Post
    Thanks DJ,

I found the posts on the threaded SMS. My concern with text'n from the front is while driving... I highly doubt you can text one handed with the keyboard-phone slid open without crashing the car!!

The phone looks to be a winner... the more I read the more I like it!
    You shouldn't be texting while driving - full stop. Talking on the phone is distracting enough (particularly without a headset), having to type & spell is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by blazingwolf View Post
    I'm curious about your 2nd negative. When I want to dial a contact I use the front keypad to type in the name and it will bring up my contacts. How much easier did the Treo make it?
    Treo was wake, Contacts button, 1 letter on the external keyboard, D-pad and call.

Now it's wake-up, start button, contacts, open keyboard, select letter, and then wade though the selections. Contacts now practically pulls up any contact that has the letter you searched.

Just clunkier.

Treo was wake, Contacts button, 1 letter on the external keyboard, D-pad and call.

Now it's wake-up, start button, contacts, open keyboard, select letter, and then wade though the selections. Contacts now practically pulls up any contact that has the letter you searched.

Just clunkier.
    If you type the first couple letters on the numeric pad on front, it quickly narrows the choices. Also, voice control works far better than you might have thought.

I have been studying the SCH-i760 pretty constantly since leaving the Treo. It is much better if you keep practicing!

You're making this way too hard!!!

Just clunkier.
    I think you're probably using the most complicated calling method possible!! All you really need to do is:
    • Wake the phone
    • Press a key on the external keypad (i.e. press 'S' if you want to call "Stan"; any press on the external keypad starts the dialer/contacts app)
    • Refine the search by either
      • continuing to use the external pad to type more of the name (i.e, for 'Stan', type 'tan', though you probably won't have to type the whole name before the correct number is located), or by...
      • navigating to the correct number with the d-pad, or by...
      • selecting the number using the stylus or your finger (yeah, not really what you want... but I included the option for the sake of completeness)
    • Press either the green call key, or the d-pad action key (the center button)
    Note that this involves as few as 4 steps... the same as the Treo!

Even better/quicker/safer (if you're driving): use Voice Command (no need to have your wired/wireless headset on!) to dial by voice:
    • Wake the phone
    • Long-press the 'Windows/VC' button ("Button 1); wait for the prompt
    • Say "Dial Stan" (you can even specify "at home", "at work", "on mobile", etc.)
    • Confirm (by voice) that the phone's selection is correct
    This involves only 4 steps, too, but you don't even have to look at the phone!
    Last edited by Dzanda; 11-24-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Just clunkier.
    Try:

Wake -> [End] to go to Today (if you're not already there) -> Type the numbers on the front keypad corresponding to the first few letters of the name. For example, 5(JKL), 2(ABC), 8(TUV) is enough to narrow me down to "Lauren" in my list. It lists call history items first, too, so I actually usually just have to type 5(JKL) and Lauren will be the first or second match on the list if I've called her recently.

I actually find this easier then on the 650's stock app (though I used TakePhone there that helped). I usually put my phone to sleep on the today screen, so it's just wake it up and type a couple numbers.

Good call.

My phone is bone stock, and I haven't really played with the settings yet.

I'm such a noob with this phone. 4 days and I still haven't gotten the hang of it.

I'm still strugging with it

Also came from Palm going way back. One thing that would help is a PRINTED manual. I also hate that you have to BUY a cable that will synch and charge at the same time.

I tried a T-Mobile Wing before the i760 and didn't like it. Looked at the Tilt. I had to have something with Windows Mob. I'm just not too happy with it. Everything seems harder on it. I usually adapt pretty quickly to new things but this has been a tough one for me.

1 more q ..

I searched on this forum with no success.. but is the keyboard backlit when it is slid open?

Quote Originally Posted by scottg22 View Post
    I searched on this forum with no success.. but is the keyboard backlit when it is slid open?
    Yes, the keyboard is backlit. However, the backlight will time out fairly quickly if you leave the keyboard idle. Some have reported that this is a significant headache for them. I'm not sure (I haven't checked), but the time out may be adjustable.

A Little Patience Is In Order...

...I'm such a noob with this phone. 4 days and I still haven't gotten the hang of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bliss149 View Post
    Also came from Palm going way back. ...I had to have something with Windows Mob. I'm just not too happy with it. Everything seems harder on it. I usually adapt pretty quickly to new things but this has been a tough one for me.
    As someone who also had a long history with Palm devices (in fact, I go back to their earliest days: I think that I still have an original Palm Pilot 1000 laying around somewhere!), I can relate to how hard it can be to change. The i760 is my first PDA-Phone, and so is also my first Windows Mobile device. However, I absolutely believe that the move is worth it, despite any shortcomings (and every device, regardless of OS will have shortcomings).

My observations regarding my own switch to WM showed that I was my own worst enemy. This was mainly because old habits can be very hard to break. I found my fingers and stylus going for memorized locations, and that I tried to do things the way my old Palm devices did; and I was frustrated when things didn't work as I expected. I recall going through the same sort of issues back when I switched from the DOS command-line version of WordPerfect to the first true WYSIWYG version. But, just as I learned the benefits of moving away from a DOS based word processor, I've learned that there are distinct advantages to WM based PDA Phones. They're different, to be sure, but there definitely are some advantages.

So, give it time (if you can afford to do so), try to open your mind and let go of your well-established Palm mentality, and give the i760 and WM6 an honest chance. I, for one, will never go back!
    Last edited by Dzanda; 11-25-2007 at 10:01 AM.