+ Reply to Thread

Searching Contacts

Unlike cell phones, WM6 has a funny way of searching the contacts for a number to dial. When I had my simple little cell, I could just go to my contacts, type a key on the pad, for example the 7 key, and then all names that started with a "P" (if available) came up. And then if I pressed the 3 key, I'd then have names with P-E.

So, what I'm getting at is that cell phones searched by the whole name. Windows Mobile contacts searches by the last name it seems. I'm not sure what it is doing. But any way...

How can I have my contacts search like they did when I had a simple cell phone? Would make life so much easier!

#1 You don't need go through the extra step of going into your contacts, you can do it from the home screen.

#2 I have a user Joe Blow. I type J-O-E (5-6-3) on my keypad and it highlights Joe Blow. Doesn't get any easier then that.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    I just tested your senario with my i760 ... if I press 7 it brings up all contacts with p, q, r, or s ... if I then press 3 ... it brings up pd, pe. pf, qd, qe, qf, rd, re, rf, sd, se, sf ... I'm guessing it works like you stated you wanted it too ... at least on my phone ... maybe I don't understand the question???
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

What I want it to do instead of bringing up all of the contacts is, for example, if I press 7, to take me to P section of my contacts. I want it to work like T9 keys.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    So ... if you press 7 and all the p's come up ... what happens when you want to find "Radio Shack" ... would you have to press 7 three times? ... doesn't seem like a good option to me
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe View Post
    So ... if you press 7 and all the p's come up ... what happens when you want to find "Radio Shack" ... would you have to press 7 three times? ... doesn't seem like a good option to me
    Well, I dont know about you but I have about 600 contacts. If I press 7 and see the P, I have a looooooong list and RADIO SHACK would be way at the bottom. If I could press 7 tree times to go to the R's that would be great. And then after a pause... I could enter the second letter.

sigh

I don't get it. It seems to me that the phone does exactly what you want it to do:
    Type 7 (for R), type 2 (for A), type 3 (for D) and very quickly you have narrowed down your search to exactly what you want to find (RADio Shack in your example).

Why would you want to press 7 three time to get to the R's. You still have to search through the Rs to find the contact you want. With the 3 keypresses as above, you already have just the contacts with RAD in them.

Am I missing something?

it does T9 right from the home screen and inside contacts. (inside contacts u have to long press the num keys)

but T9 it does. works great.

Here is a screenshot. When I press the 7 key (from the Home Screen), this what all that comes up for me. As you can see, it shows me missed calls, placed calls and contacts. And as you can see there is NO order to how it shows it to me. You see a first name that starts with a R, you see a last name that starts with a S, But if I pressed 7, why would I first see names that start with a P? P is the first letter that is listed on that key. I just want to see names that start with P first. If anything, it seems that it would at least show me names in alphabetical order, ordered according to the number pad. Meaning, I should see P's first, then Q's next (I have names with Q), then R's and so forth.

I'm playing with it now and I see that if I type, it will show me all names that match my entry. So, I guess it works good, but I was just thinking that it would FIRST show me names that start with the first letter on the keypad (a P in this case for the 7 key).

I'll have to get used to this way I guess. I'm new to the i760 and am still accustomed to the old cell phone way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Searching Contacts-sshot000.gif  

I see what ya'll are saying now. I'm new to the i760 and pocket pc's. Pray for me guys. Thanks!