+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Ringtone issue

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-14-2007
    Posts
    12

    Ringtone issue

    When I get a phone call, the ringtone starts off in a very low volume then all of a sudden gets loud. I dont have it set on "increase ring" setting I just have it set on Ring, I dont know what gives? Please help its very annoying.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-10-2007
    Posts
    7
    I get the same, but I like it!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-01-2007
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by neemo6 View Post
    When I get a phone call, the ringtone starts off in a very low volume then all of a sudden gets loud. I dont have it set on "increase ring" setting I just have it set on Ring, I dont know what gives? Please help its very annoying.
    Are you using a non-standard ring tone? If so, set it to "increasing ring" and it should reverse the behavior. There's already another thread on ringtones.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-05-2007
    Posts
    13
    Mine works that way too. It's actually the first type of ring that doesn't annoy me. I think it's genius.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-18-2007
    Posts
    90
    I for one hate the fade-in. If I wanted my ring-tones to fade in, I'd edit them to fade in.

    At the very least, Samsung should have made this an option for people like me who want normal constant-volumes.

    Unfortunately, setting to "increasing ring" is not a workable solution for me. It just rings at a low volume, then loops with increasing volume as it should.

  6. #6
    Pretty Good Member
    Join Date
    10-23-2007
    Posts
    258
    Some like it, some don't. I don't know if it's an intentional design feature or not, but I like it. It's not really the same as the 'increasing ring' feature that continues to increase louder and louder over a longer drawn out period of time. I think it's just a polite nod to all of us, not just a particular owner who may or may not choose it. It's more likely that the person being called will hear his ringer first on the first or second soft ring, and everyone else won't be grabbing for their phones. Co-workers in the next cubicle, church or movie goers are less likely to be disturbed by others who forget to turn off their ringers. Intentional or not, I think it's much more polite.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-18-2007
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    I think it's just a polite nod to all of us, not just a particular owner who may or may not choose it. It's more likely that the person being called will hear his ringer first on the first or second soft ring, and everyone else won't be grabbing for their phones. Co-workers in the next cubicle, church or movie goers are less likely to be disturbed by others who forget to turn off their ringers.
    Robrecht, I would buy that argument if the fade-in wasn't just a fraction of a second. Only the first second or so of my ring tone fades in, and within one second it reaches max volume.

    I don't know about you, but I certainly can't reach for my phone within that first second before it reaches max (and I have pretty good reflexes). I doubt most people (who don't already have their phone in their hands) can either.

    I definitely think the "increasing ringtone" option is more of what you may consider polite. This fade-in "feature" when the phone is set to ring is IMHO is not. But that's my opinion and I respect your opinion... pot-ay-to vs pot-ah-to.

  8. #8
    Pretty Good Member
    Join Date
    10-23-2007
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by buxleyp View Post
    Robrecht, I would buy that argument if the fade-in wasn't just a fraction of a second. Only the first second or so of my ring tone fades in, and within one second it reaches max volume.

    I don't know about you, but I certainly can't reach for my phone within that first second before it reaches max (and I have pretty good reflexes). I doubt most people (who don't already have their phone in their hands) can either.

    I definitely think the "increasing ringtone" option is more of what you may consider polite. This fade-in "feature" when the phone is set to ring is IMHO is not. But that's my opinion and I respect your opinion... pot-ay-to vs pot-ah-to.
    Is it really just a fraction of a second? Seems like it's a couple of rings to me, when I use the traditional ringer (which I like) rather than an mp3, but I've never timed it. I do agree that the increasing ring tone could be more polite ... but every little bit helps!

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-31-2007
    Posts
    89
    Here's the thread that I started on this a while ago:

    Question about ring volume starting low

    Note that I made some of the exact same arguments being made in this thread by people who can not stand this bug, which is most certianly what it is.

  10. #10
    PDA's Rule! bezworks's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-09-2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyw2100 View Post
    Here's the thread that I started on this a while ago:

    Question about ring volume starting low

    Note that I made some of the exact same arguments being made in this thread by people who can not stand this bug, which is most certianly what it is.
    Is it fixable?

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-31-2007
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by bezworks View Post
    Is it fixable?
    Not as far as I know. I have not read of any fixes here.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-05-2007
    Posts
    13
    I have answered my phone on the first/lower tone more than a few times. But then again, I am a lonely guy

    Actually I think the lower volume makes the ring less jarring or startling. I keep my ring on max. Although I usually have my phone near me, it I not always possible.

  13. #13
    Pretty Good Member
    Join Date
    10-23-2007
    Posts
    258
    Looking at the older thread (there have been others as well), seems like there are many of us who like it, especially those of us who use the old fashioned ringer that has longer pauses between rings.
    Last edited by robrecht; 11-17-2007 at 07:18 AM.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-08-2006
    Posts
    215
    Like that for me to but I have to say I like it also!

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-31-2007
    Posts
    89
    I understand that there are people who like it. If Samsung did this intentionally (and I remain certain that they did not) they should have made this "feature" optional, so that those of you who like it could use it, and those of us that want the phone to ring at the volume we ask it to ring at, and not some other volume that it chooses to use on its own, could have it behave that way.

  16. #16
    Pretty Good Member
    Join Date
    10-23-2007
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyw2100 View Post
    I understand that there are people who like it. If Samsung did this intentionally (and I remain certain that they did not) they should have made this "feature" optional, so that those of you who like it could use it, and those of us that want the phone to ring at the volume we ask it to ring at, and not some other volume that it chooses to use on its own, could have it behave that way.
    Classic cultural question of juggling conflicts between individual rights and the common good as perceived by others. Hope you can adjust!

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-28-2007
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    24
    so when I got this phone I found this very annoying...but last night I reset the phone by clearing all data and now it doesn't do it!

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-30-2007
    Posts
    95

    Maybe it is intentional

    I read somewhere on another board that Samsung uses this technique on all their non-clam shell phones. The idea that someone might be bringing the phone up to their ear when the ring goes off and at full volume, it would be uncomfortable to say the least. Hence, the intro ring at a lower volume to warn that a bigger sound is on the way....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts