+ Reply to Thread

changes from 730 to 760

still on the fence as to whetehr to go with the 760, but I've been playing with it in the store and one would think it would be more intuitive...but obviously not. A few changes that I think would impact my efficiency are

1. the 4 buttons on the front of the 730 for immediate access to calendar, appointments, email and the task switcher are gone. Are there replacment buttons elsewhere to provide this access and are they easily accesible....especially for one handed use?

2. how accessible/useable is the front keypad for accessing the address book?

3. how easy is one handed operation of the qwerty keypad

4. how easy is one handed operation in general for all other operations

thanks in advnace,

Larry

1. No, but you can remap availble hard keys using AEButton Plus.

2. Very accessible, just start typing in the name of a contact like you would if you were using t9 and the list of contacts will start to shorten until you can scroll down using the d-pad. Usually by the 3rd or 4th keypress, I am at the contact I want to call. If that contact has multiple numbers, i.e., mobile, work, home, then just press left/right on the d-pad when the contact's name is selected to switch between numbers.

3. I can do it, but you've gotta have a very dexterous hand to pull it off.

4. Once you get use to the device and have customized it, one handed use is pretty easy.

Very easy one handed use IMHO, except the keyboard. However you can use the number keys for text like any cell phone.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by KINetics View Post
    1. No, but you can remap availble hard keys using AEButton Plus.

2. Very accessible, just start typing in the name of a contact like you would if you were using t9 and the list of contacts will start to shorten until you can scroll down using the d-pad. Usually by the 3rd or 4th keypress, I am at the contact I want to call. If that contact has multiple numbers, i.e., mobile, work, home, then just press left/right on the d-pad when the contact's name is selected to switch between numbers.

3. I can do it, but you've gotta have a very dexterous hand to pull it off.

4. Once you get use to the device and have customized it, one handed use is pretty easy.
    But are the hard keys as "accessible" as the standard 4 on the 730? didn't seem that easy to find/use, but then again, was just playing in the store

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Having loved my I730 ... I didn't like the buttons on the 760 right away ... but ... after about two weeks I got used to them ... and I hardly ever take out the stylus except to use Handbase or the like ... just as a phone or easy stuff I never need it ..
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

Still searching for the perfect ...
    I have not missed the 4 buttons on the i730. One handed operation on the i760 is just plain wonderful. The only down side for me is using the keyboard with one hand. The i730 was much easier to use the keyboard with one hand. Perhaps my hands are just too small. But I can't hold the phone, sideways, and type all the letters with just one hand.

That said, I would not trade the i760 for the i730. WM6 by itself is reason enough to stay with the i760.

K

Quote Originally Posted by KatieP View Post

That said, I would not trade the i760 for the i730. WM6 by itself is reason enough to stay with the i760.

K
    x2 on the trade, I wouldn't trade back either. WM6 is great.

I went from an i700 to an i730. After my i730 died (didn't like being dropped) I had a Palm 700W, went to the Motorola Q, tried a demo version of the HTC on Verizon's network (it's still in the lab but I have contacts with Vienna channels) and now I have the i760. I also used the XV6600 for a while. So far the i760 is best of all them IMHO. I agree you can't really type with one hand but then why would you want to? Txting while driving??? Just don't do that! Voice dialing from the i760 is more accurate than the Q and with the HTC, well, forget it. It was lousy.

Only "complaints" are that the i760 didn't come with a holster but a $6 slipper case from Best Buy works fine and the car charger for the i730 doesn't work for the i760 so I have to get all new accessories. The HTC and the Q both will charge off standard mini USB chargers. I wish Samsung would get with the program on that!