+ Reply to Thread

Thread: At a loss

At a loss

I have searched the internet and the I760 manual and can not find the answers to these two problems/questions.

1) The storage memory is at 87% full (using 56.24MB). The only things I have added to the phone are Resco Explorer and the Threaded SMS. I have deleted the zip file for the SMS and I have moved everything I can think of the the memory card. What else can I move to lower the storage memory? All pictures are stored to the card too.

2) Somehow I have make the phone keypad disappear. Tapping on "keyboard" only shows the call history and the area where the keypad would be is white, with the word "end" in gray in the lower right hand corner. How do I get the keypad back?

Please forgive me if any of this has been addressed, I searched this with as many word combinations I could think of. Any help to get me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

That is IMPOSSIBLE. Have you tried running MemMaid to clean the memory? I have between 20 - 28 MB free and I LOAD my i760 up with app's. Something's not right. Soft reset perhaps?

Phone Alarm
    WiseBar Lite
    Pocket Informant
    MemMaid
    SiriusCE (SD Card)
    Windows Live Search (SD Card)
    Google Maps (SD card)
    Spb Back Up
    Spb Diary
    Journal Bar with added extensions
    vsnap (SD Card)
    Google Search from Today Screen (SD Card)
    Last edited by mrpacs; 11-16-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    I'm guessing you need to do a hard reset ... would probably fix both problems ... if after hard reset you still are almost full on storage memory ... swap it at a vz store
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

In the process of finishing off the hard reset. I don't understand what happened since I haven't downloaded anything else other that what I listed. It started with not being able to use the camera yesterday. Noticed the bar under the picture of the phone (Resco) was red. All I have left to do is the threaded sms hack. Right now it shows 13% being used.

I wouldn't install the SMS hack. Did you use MEMaid or try soft reset BEFORE the hard reset?

did you ever clear out your ie cache? im willing to bet thats what it was.

I don't have MEMaid and yes I tried several soft resets. I used Resco to look for large files but didn't find any. There was nothing in the TEMP file, and I am sorry, still learning WM6, don't know where IE cache is.

This happened on my wife's WM 5 Smartphone one time - turns out she had accidentally hit the voice record button and recorded a 2 hour voice file. It ran until it ate up all the storage on her phone. Of course, if you didn't find any large files, that would debunk that theory.

But then again I still can't find the IE cache...so who knows! I hate being a newbie at this!!!

Start PIE -> Menu -> Tools -> Options -> Memory (tab at bottom) -> Clear History -> Delete Files
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Thank you!!! Is there any way with Resco to actually look at that file to see how big it is?

MEMMaid will do this for you automatically. It's a worthwhile inve$tment IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpacs View Post
    MEMMaid will do this for you automatically. It's a worthwhile inve$tment IMO.
    Ok, I have purchased MEMmaid, thanks for the advice. Now, my question to you is do I need all the Handy Launcher/Switcher and TapText stuff? I don't think it is stuff I will ever use. Also, when I tap on the Handy Menu Quick Action, it turns the screen off! Is this normal?

Thanks!

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    First-off stop buying sw.

Do a hard reset on your device.
    Don’t install any sw until you have used the device and get to know its limitations.

Make sure that if you are suing POP mail that you remove any deleted mail and sent mail for all of your accounts.

Make sure that attachments are stored on your storage card.

As mentioned, clean out your IE cache every few days.

I don't use POP email and have only utility software running. I purposely am NOT going to put a bunch of 3rd party software on it for the simple reasons I don't need it and I don't want the phone to crash. I am not completely ignorant regarding software and slowing down the phone.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJet View Post
    I don't use POP email and have only utility software running. I purposely am NOT going to put a bunch of 3rd party software on it for the simple reasons I don't need it and I don't want the phone to crash. I am not completely ignorant regarding software and slowing down the phone.
    I would do a hard reset to start with a clean device.

Use it for a few days and monitor the memory.
    Then add SMS texting. I bet that the messages are being stored on the device even though you said that you moved them.

Start clean and see what happens.

Good luck.

Didn't mean to sound ungrateful, I do appreciate the help. Since I have had some more info, and read the thread on leaking memory, I have been watching the storage and program memory carefully. MEMmaid I have set to clean out the internet files and all text threads are deleted when I am done for the day. All pictures are stored on the memory card. So far I haven't had a problem, for which I am thankful. My only other question was whether I needed to have the Handy Launcher, Handy Menu and TapText. I never used a launching program on my Treo, so I would never use one on the I760. I don't do any type of business email or editing of documents either. Just would like to lose any unwanted software and keep only what I need.

Thanks Mark for your help.