+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Real GPS?

Real GPS?

I use GPS. I had a Dell x50, BT gps reciever, and installed several GPS programs, and carried a cell phone. THEN..
    I went with the Pharos GPS 600 cell phone. STAND ALONE gps, pda, wifi, bt, fm radio, and cell phone. I went from 3 devices to one. And it works great. However, AT&t SUCKED so back I went back to verizon and the i760.
    I know how GPS works very well. Why can't anyone make a gps app that access the gps built into the phone? Why must we use a seperate GPS device. I'm assuming the Pharos system had a second built in reciever to accomplish this. What makes it not possible in our phone or any phone with GPS? Are they not real gps recievers? If not, what are they? Why must we use things like navigator programs to download maps, or what ever? The Pharos is now my GPS device with the 4 different GPS programs installed, Teletype, Pocket Map Navigator, IGuidance, and CoPilot Live, even with no cell phone service and the phone turned off.

I use my i760 as a GPS after switching from a Dell X51v and a phone to this. I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) the i760 does not have a GPS receiver built in. The Verizon "GPS" uses cell-phone tower triangulation.

Personally, I think that the i760 works great, except that when I make or receive calls it exits the iGuidance program and I have to manually fire it back up. If anyone has a better idea for this please let me know.

Hum, I though they had some poor gps receiver or something built in that we couldn't access for real gps. Triangulation, sounds logical, maybe that is the way it works??? If so, it seems misleading that they say GPS on/911 only/off. Makes one think there is some receiver built in. Seems you couldn't get gps location for 911 calls or anything else if you only had one tower then.
    Last edited by serpa4; 11-19-2007 at 11:20 AM.

gps

Verizon is triangulation based. Not actual gps. That's why if you ever travel out of signal range, none of the gps functions will work.

Is there any update on the dll files for the 8g card?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke_M_All View Post
    Verizon is triangulation based. Not actual gps. That's why if you ever travel out of signal range, none of the gps functions will work.

Is there any update on the dll files for the 8g card?
    Why is it that every time this subject comes up, someone has to come in with this incorrect information. EVERY cell phone sold today has aGPS. This is a combination of REAL GPS receiver and cell tower triangulation. They work in combination to provide a quicker location fix then GPS alone, and can work in areas where you can not receive a GPS signal, like indoors.

HOWEVER!!! The satellite data is sent to a server at the cell tower for processing, and then the position data gets sent back to the phone.

So, why can't we use it? Because it is under the control of the carrier, and they can allow or disallow access at their discretion. It was put in the phones to support e911, and the carrier's plan to pay for this system is to SELL location based services like VZNavigator.

They have concentrated at this time on regular cell phones, but I would expect that within a year, there will be services available for PDA phones as well.

There are some devices on the market with independent GPS (not aGPS). The only ones that Verizon currently carries are Blackberries, and they disable the GPS in their firmware build. They claim is is for "security" reasons, but it is widely believed that it is so they can sell more VZNavigator (which is available for Blackberry now).

So, our only current option on Verizon is Bluetooth GPS.

Alan

Time to buy the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 Receiver

Thanks for the info Alanb. For $99 I can use this for both PDA's and my laptop. GPS for 3 devices isn't bad.

check ebay... they are much cheaper on there

Freedom Keychain GPS w/o a data plan

Does anybody know what good mapping software is out there that can be used without having a data plan? I have yet to decide whether I want to keep paying $40/mo for the data plan (even tho I prob will).

Is there a way to still utilize a BT GPS device with mapping software loaded on to a MicroSD card instead of using an online app like Google Maps?

Thanks!

The answer to your question is IGuidance 4. It is by far the best GPS software for the I760 iIMHO. It doesn't need to use the internet or need a data plan. It can work beautifully with just an external bluetooth gps, the I760 and the IGuidance 4 software. Works perfectly for me.

Mapopolis is a nice fit on the I760

Mapopolis on I760

It works very nicely ...(Unfortunately, the product is no longer available)
    Last edited by kpduty; 01-31-2008 at 06:17 PM.

IGuidance had the worst map accuracy and POI listing I have ever used. For me Garmin Mobile XT is much better. Even got it running on my own memory card.

Quote Originally Posted by snrsuave View Post
    IGuidance had the worst map accuracy and POI listing I have ever used. For me Garmin Mobile XT is much better. Even got it running on my own memory card.
    I agree, Garmin Mobile XT is awsome.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alanb View Post
    I agree, Garmin Mobile XT is awsome.

Alan
    Same here. Except: If you use your own SD card, Maps are locked to your Garmin device and will work with no other--not even another Garmin receiver, unless you can get them to help you unlock and relock to one. If you get their software on their proprietary locked SD card, you can pair with any device-but can't use the card for anything else. I agree their maps and POI are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by snrsuave View Post
    What version of IGuidance? 3 or 4 ?

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    Same here. Except: If you use your own SD card, Maps are locked to your Garmin device and will work with no other--not even another Garmin receiver, unless you can get them to help you unlock and relock to one. If you get their software on their proprietary locked SD card, you can pair with any device-but can't use the card for anything else. I agree their maps and POI are excellent.
    I took a look at Garmin's site for the Mobile XT. So you basically should use the 2GB card they provide for the map files? But, you get a national map? Isn't their a way to pull the data off their card onto a 4GB SD card?

Is their traffic overlay any good? I'd love to find GPS mapping with free traffic. The new Navigon 5100's are offering free, lifetime traffic.

Thanks guys/gals.

There is Garmin 10 with software for PDA & receiver... there is Garmin XT just software.

I need a good Bluetooth GPS and good software.

Can someone direct me to a good place to buy what I am looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddFSU View Post
    There is Garmin 10 with software for PDA & receiver... there is Garmin XT just software.

I need a good Bluetooth GPS and good software.

Can someone direct me to a good place to buy what I am looking for?
    I'm still looking for the best software, but I did a lot of research on the BT GPS device and ended up with this:

Freedom Input Ltd - Freedom Keychain GPS 2000

Just bought one yesterday, direct from Freedom (eBay prices weren't much cheaper). I should have it in a week and I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by paradozia View Post
    I took a look at Garmin's site for the Mobile XT. So you basically should use the 2GB card they provide for the map files? But, you get a national map? Isn't their a way to pull the data off their card onto a 4GB SD card?

Is their traffic overlay any good? I'd love to find GPS mapping with free traffic. The new Navigon 5100's are offering free, lifetime traffic.

Thanks guys/gals.
    Not off their SD card. It's locked. You can get a version with the maps on a DVD and load that to your own SD card whatever size you have. However, then the maps lock to your specific Garmin10 device and cannot be used with any other. Traffic overlay is OK but a little behind as it accesses the internet to the Garmin site which seems a little slow on my device. You set this up in the "Avoidance" section which is very thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    True. I have a Garmin receiver, so that limitation is OK for me. (got it with the DVD so I can use my own SD card).

Alan

The only phone on Verizon right now that has a full GPS built in is the 6800. The GPS chip inside of it does both aGPS and standalone GPS. I'm sure next year we will see more PDA phones following this trend. Only other full GPS phone I know coming out is the Touch, but the lack of keyboard and WiFi is a major downside of that phone.