+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Problems with Plantronics 665 BT Headset

Anyone else having problems with the above headset and the i760?

I have two of the 665 headsets, and their behavior is identical, so this is either a Plantronics 665 problem, or a glitch with something on my phone.

The headset pairs fine, and is the only Bluetooth connection on the i760. It's set for Handsfree on the i760.

Following the initial setup, or after any soft-reset, the 665 will not activate Voice Command. I first have to make an outgoing call using the keypad (which is then automatically switched to the 665). Then for the next few times the 665 *will* activate VC.

HOWEVER, things go downhill after this. Those who have used the 665 (or 655) will recall that to initiate or terminate a call, you do a long hold on the main button of the 665, resulting in a high-pitched "beep" followed by a lower-pitched "boop". After 2-5 activations of VC, doing a long-push of the main button to activate VC gives me a "beep" but no follow-up "boop" (and no VC).

Then it gets even more interesting. At that point if I delete the pairing on the i760, I then get the "boop" as the connection is lost, and the headset returns to normal behavior. HOWEVER, if I don't delete the connection right away, and just keep trying to make the button work, it a) won't ever start working; and b) even after deleting the pairing, still won't work, giving me a "beep" but no "boop," and essentially locking up the headset. (As in I can't hold down the main button and turn off the headset.)

The first couple times I did this, the headset got itself straightened back out after laying around (fully charged) for an hour or two. After the last test, though, I'm still all "beep" and no "boop" and the headset has been laying unused for 12 hours. I'm just going to let the battery run down (a 3-day project) and hopes that resets it.

As noted above, I went through the same procedure with my wife's 665, and got exactly the same behavior, though I stopped testing immediately when I lost the "boop", deleted the pairing, and got hers back to normal before pushing on and leaving her without her headset for 3 days.

Finally, FWIW, I did a pairing on a Motorola 850 I had (but don't like), and it works exactly as it should (except for taking 2-3 presses to finally wake up the phone and get VC running. After that, though, all is good. That's the tidbit that makes me think this may be a specific issue with the 665.

Anyone else using a Plantronics 665, with or without this problem? I've seen references to folks running the 655 and 685, so it also seems odd that the 665 would do this. If no one can confirm, I guess I'll bite the bullet and do a hard-reset, and see what happens.

--Gene

My Plantronics Voyager 550 won't activate voice command on my I760 either. The same headset worked fine with my previous phone (Moto Q), so, it is definately something with the I760.

However, I have always found the voice command to be rather unreliable anyway, so I generally just found myself not using it anyway.

My issue.. if anyone else has a solution for this... With my Moto Q I was able to listen to music over the Plantronics headset (no, its not stereo.. but better than nothing in a pinch). The I760 will NOT play music over the Plantronics headset. If I get it to play at all, it just drops the connection within 5-10 seconds.

Any updates to the BT on the I760 for the above would be greatly appreciated.

MT

I haven't had a single problem with my Plantronics 665. It pairs every time. I've never had to delete the pairing. I listen to music fine although for music, it seems to need a line of sight. It activates VC by holding the button and waiting for the beep, then the boop. In fact, my only problem is VC stinks.

Once or twice it has acted funny (e.g. static or not pairing) which I solved by recharging it and/or resetting the phone.

Do you have the retail version or a bulk version? I had tons of problem with my old bulk H500... Never again. My retail 665 is the best BT I have ever owned.
    i700/i730 geek since '03

Quote Originally Posted by balefire View Post
    Do you have the retail version or a bulk version? I had tons of problem with my old bulk H500... Never again. My retail 665 is the best BT I have ever owned.

Retail version, purchased at Best Buy about 6 months ago. Like you, it's the best I've ever owned, right up until it started this routine on my i760.

If yours is working, I guess it's time to do a hard reset, and hope that Sprite Backup works as well as it's supposed to. <g>

--Gene

Wrapping up this thread

Just to wrap things up, I thought I'd post how this turned out. I did a hard reset and confirmed that the Plantronics 665 headset worked as it was supposed to on a clean system. I then restored to my earliest backup with a fairly minimal configuration of all basic hardware settings, Spb Diary, Spb Pocket Plus, and Resco File Explorer. Still worked as it should (as did Sprite Backup 6.10 in restoring things).

I then started adding 1-2 programs at a time, testing after each, confirming it still worked, and backing up at that point so that I could quickly return to it if I "stepped over the line" with my next install. Spent most of a day doing this, only to wind up with a fully-configured system that has the 665 working just like it's supposed to. None of the programs I installed broke it.

While I'm happy about that, it's frustrating that WM6 can still be so picky about the order of setting things up. So, for future reference, you may want to install your Bluetooth headset early in the process, and then build all the software installations on top of that.

--Gene

I have had issues with my Plantronics 665. The pairing was straightforward and voice command works fine but I cannot get the unit to "auto-reconnect". This occurs with or without other headsets paired. Specifically, I need to initiate a "connection" manually--this can be with a 2 second press of the headset or thru the bluetooth menu on the phone. Previously whenever the i730 came into range, the 665 would reconnect.

Now, when I leave the range of the headset, the "handsfree" checkbox becomes unchecked. It is not a big deal to reconnect by pressing the headset button. The frustrating problem is when a call arrives before I have "manually" reconnected. That call has to be answered with the phone. I can then switch over to the 665 headset.

The same issue occurs if I am streaming stereo to a bluetooth receiver. The 665 cannot be reconnected "handsfree" unless I use the bluetooth phone menu. Anybody have similar issues?

The i730 with A2DP hack worked flawlessly switching back and forth automatically. Is this all part of the general "reconnect" problem with the i760 or specific to the plantronics 665.

Quote Originally Posted by steve h View Post
    I have had issues with my Plantronics 665....Now, when I leave the range of the headset, the "handsfree" checkbox becomes unchecked. It is not a big deal to reconnect by pressing the headset button. The frustrating problem is when a call arrives before I have "manually" reconnected. That call has to be answered with the phone. I can then switch over to the 665 headset.
    I stand corrected. I *thought* my 665 was working okay, until I read this. I then confirmed my 665 was doing the same thing, losing the "HandsFree" profile when it wandered out of range. I noticed I'd often have to hit the main command button on the headset an extra time (or two) on re-entering BT range, but thought it was just due to delays in waking up the phone and getting VC running. The implications for missing incoming calls hadn't occurred to me, as I don't receive many calls on my phone.

Anyway, I then deleted the pairing, and paired with a Motorola H-700 that worked fine. I then deleted that and re-paired with the 665, which is continuing to work fine as well. Weird. I do suspect this is connected to the re-linking problem noted in the sticky'd thread, as several folks in that thread talk about the problem who do NOT have multiple headset pairings.

--Gene

Never mind--it's still not working

I hearby take back my comments above about getting everything working after spending an entire day installing programs, checking BT function, backing up, and adding more programs. Got in my truck (where my Plantronics 665 stays) to come home tonight, and pulled the 665 out of it's charger, and hit the main command button. After a couple of "beep-boops" without a connection, it then returned to the "locked up" beep-no-boop status that first signalled my problems 3 days ago. Unable to link, unable to turn it off. Basically just unresponsive. Nice to know I wasted an entire day and got absolutely nowhere.

I've now paired with a Motorola headset I don't like, but I'll see if it behaves for several days before buying something else. If it doesn't, then it's almost certainly a phone BT problem (probably the same one already well-documented by the multiple connection thread). If it does behave, then I may be calling Plantronics and see if they have any solutions (upgraded firmware, etc.).

--Gene

Plantronics 665

I just picked up a Plantronics 665 from Best Buy yesterday and it works perfectly. I did a soft reset just now to test for your problem, and it didn't happen to me. So far I've been pretty happy with the device. I liked the fit of the JX10 series II better, but my dad who is hard of hearing prefered this one... so I went with it. Maybe Plantronics updated the device without telling us. They are including an AC charger now... and from all the reviews I've read this is new. Hope you figure it out!
    converging can be hard...

As noted above, mine (both of them) are about 6 months old. They came with AC chargers as well as the car chargers. I hope yours continues to work. I've thought mine was functioning a time or two only to learn it wasn't after a day or so.

FWIW my Motorola headset profile keeps losing its handsfree setting whenever the phone and headset get too far apart as well. So the major issue appears to be with the BT on the 760, but the 665 may have something funny going on as well since the i760 screwup can then cause the 665 headset to lock up entirely. At least the Motorola headset doesn't do that.

--Gene

I have the Plantronics 220 and it works perfectly (except call announce which is a WM6 issue). Didn't have to do a hard reset or nothing.

JF

Same issue here

I also have a Plantronics 665 Headset. Could never get it to work properly with vc and it keeps loosing blue tooth connection much like discribed in original post. Love the 665 earpiece because of the way it fits into the ear. Seems to make hearing in noisy areas like an airport lounge better. Would hate to have to buy another headset but...

I'll wait to see if anyone can track down a absulute answer to this question but at this time my best guess... the 665 is not not compatable with the I760. Hope I am wrong.

So has anyone figured out why you can't listen to music on the bluetooth? I'm having this problem with the plantronics 550, like said above I had the Q and would listen to music through it and now I can't.

If I hold the call button for a couple of seconds so the voice recognition comes on I get the music through the headset until the voice recognition goes off then I lose the music again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mee too!

i'm in the same boat as many of you. today it just stopped pairing up with my i760. i went to the bt settings on the phone and found that it had mysteriously unchecked the handsfree box. so after checking it, the 665 would still not pair up. now mind you i leave the 665 in the cradle in the cigarette lighter so it is always charging and always on. so now i'm stuck in a position that i have completely removed the pairing on the phone and the 665 is still blinking blue every 5-6 seconds. i can't turn the thing off to even begin pairing it. i sent a message to plantronics so we'll see what they say. in the meantime, i'll leave it unconnected to anything to drain the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by olibearski View Post
    so now i'm stuck in a position that i have completely removed the pairing on the phone and the 665 is still blinking blue every 5-6 seconds. i can't turn the thing off to even begin pairing it. i sent a message to plantronics so we'll see what they say. in the meantime, i'll leave it unconnected to anything to drain the battery.
    this happens occassionally on mine. the only solution is to completely drain the battery on the 665 and recharge it. not sure what is going on either.
    i700/i730 geek since '03