+ Reply to Thread

Question Any advice on a good countdown timer

I see several of these on some freeware sites. So many choices. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with any of them and could give a good recommendation. I searched forum for "stopwatch" and "timer" but nothing turned up relevant to these apps.

I'm going to bump this as this is something I've looked for and came up dissapointed. I've tried a few freeware apps that just haven't cut it.

What I want is quite simple - a countdown timer that will continue to work even if the phone goes to sleep. I know about SPB Time and Gentimer, but I don't need all their added fluff. Just a decent stopwatch with a countdown timer. If I put something on the stove for example I want to be able to have a 15min countdown timer that will go off as would an alarm.

What are the best free apps for this use? Is there one?
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Ageye makes GREAT apps!! Try out this stopwatch/countdown [2008/10/20 v0.4.4] G-Watch (Stop watch & Countdown timer with GPS support) - xda-developers . I use his alarm (G-Alarm) to wake up everyday.
    Last edited by stanglifemike; 10-24-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Ah thx - I will keep my eye on this - no countdown timer yet eh?

*sorry yes, it looks like it was added a few versions back (original post says (soon). thanks I will try (and perhaps the alarm app as well).

lol it's really a simple feature any digital watch has yet I cannot find it for my nearly $400 device. Perhaps I need to go back to digital watches .

lol, I know what you mean

Here is the alarm for anyone who wants to try it out [2008/10/21 Update v0.9.2] G-Alarm (Alarm clock with lots of features) - xda-developers . I reccomend installing it onto your device instead of storage card. It works from either, but on storage card after a soft reset you get an error message which is kind of annoying. Love the alarm, best I've used. I am not using the most current version though, as I prefer the original skin of it. I can get the version that I use to anyone who is interested per Ageye's approval.

another option is called simptimer. I have had it for a while and it works ok. I haven't tried the G program yet to compare it.

I'm using WMStopWatch. It has a timer on it (and obviously a stopwatch), very basic program. Works while the phone is sleeping as well.

I've had it for so long that I don't know where I downloaded it from.

I went crazy once looking for stop watch apps.. I use WM5StopWatch... its basic does the job and is free, woo hoo... I've also used Timekeeper. Its not free but has just about every conceivable timer use configuration.... I used to tie together multiple countdown timers for timing substitutions in youth sports. Here's the link...

Conduits > Products > Timekeeper: Custom Stopwatch For Your Windows Mobile Pocket PC or Smartphone!

Another oldie but a goodie is StopTime:
    Pocket PC Freeware Downloads
    I don't even know if it will run on the i760! heh heh
    I will definitely try out gWatch that looks nice!
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 10-26-2008 at 11:54 PM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I used WMStopWatch and it was more than adequate, but I think it stopped counting when my device went to sleep (after 1 min non-use)

Perhaps I missed something, but this G thing is really great. Has stuff I don't need, but the countdown works great and it looks much much nicer. (finger friendly etc.)

Absolutely, the G programs are great. Ageye, the creator, is constantly updating the apps and fixing any bugs.

YES! I've discovered gWatch as a result of this thread... I take back everything I said I think I like this one best! I wish I had loaded it before this weekend when I was timing a soccer match... and the time went screwy when my phones screen went to sleep! grrr.... Here's the one I was using...
    [APP]StopWatch 1.0 - xda-developers
    great looking interface but there doesn't seem to be a lot of development on it.
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any advice on a good countdown timer-stopwatch-sml.jpg  
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 10-26-2008 at 11:58 PM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.