+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pretty Good Member

PgUp & PgDn on the i760?

Hi, all.

Is there a good way to access PgUp and PgDn on the i760? I really dislike using the d-pad to scroll up and down one link at a time in Internet Explorer.

I know there's a regedit to change up and down on the d-pad to PgUp and PgDn:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Navigation\4-Way Nav = 0 (DWORD decimal)

But this seems to disable the highlighting of links and also the right and left and center button functioning of the d-pad. So, although it enables PgUp and PgDn, it does so at the expense of easy one-handed operation.

Better ideas would seem to be mapping PgUp and PgDn to dialpad buttons (eg, 4 for PgUp and 7 for PgDn) or the volume rockers (if this could be done only in Internet Explorer).

Any ideas on how to do this?
    Last edited by robrecht; 11-23-2007 at 08:10 AM.

It works with AE button plus. You can map the long press of the volume rocker to pgup/pgdn.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    It works with AE button plus. You can map the long press of the volume rocker to pgup/pgdn.
    Thanks, I guess I'll finally play around with this utility, though I'm thinking I'll map the short presses to PgUp & PgDn, that way it will be almost like having a jog wheel. Then maybe I'll use long presses or double presses for volume control. Thanks!

Pretty Good Member

Slight change in plans ...

Downloaded AE Button Plus (thanks, ODS!) and played around with it a little and realized the volume rockers wouldn't be much help in landscape ...

So I mapped the long up & down presses of the d-pad to PgUp and PgDn and this works great. This was much more logical, but I was afraid long presses would take too long (like camera button) but they're really not that long. Mapped short presses to still scroll one link at a time and are still actionable. Works great, much more pleasant browsing experience, and also helps to navigate other long menus more quickly, eg, Favorites. i760 should have been designed this way from the get go.

Thanks for prodding me, ODS, to finally download AEBP.
    Last edited by robrecht; 11-23-2007 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    So I mapped the long up & down presses of the d-pad to PgUp and PgDn and this works great.
    I would think this kills the repeated up/down by holding the key. For instance in media players, etc.

PS. Agreed, AE Button is definitely a great utility. A must-have.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exempli_gratia View Post
    I would think this kills the repeated up/down by holding the key. For instance in media players, etc.
    Yes, indeed, that was the intended effect--now I'm able to go up/down a page at a time and I can repeat that as/if needed. For me that is much more pleasant way to scroll through a web page or most lists. Try it and see if you agree.

BTW, I'm also still experimenting with the pseudo jog wheel bastardization of volume rockers and it is also quite cool for 1-handed portrait use. It's really a shame this thing didn't come with a jogwheel. A really nice feature of AE Button Plus is that the volume rockers can revert to their original volume adjustment function when the phone is on or only when you're on a call. However, if you've mapped them to a new function when held down (not just pushed) the push-repeat function is not restored--so far that's the only place where I've missed the push-repeat function.
    Last edited by robrecht; 11-24-2007 at 09:40 PM.

I have had problems with the d-pad responding inconsistently to single-presses when the long presses are mapped with AE Button, which is why I did the volume rocker. If it works fine for you, though, let me know!

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    I have had problems with the d-pad responding inconsistently to single-presses when the long presses are mapped with AE Button, which is why I did the volume rocker. If it works fine for you, though, let me know!
    It does, although AE Button Plus does seem just a tiny bit slow or flaky at tmes so I played with my settings for 'delay before first repeat' and 'repeat rate' to achieve what seems like the most comforable responsiveness for me--I have the former set to shortest and the latter set to fastest. Then you just have to get used to how long of a press you need to make it a press if you want to repeat presses relatively quickly. I'm a musician so I can get into a rythm and repeat long presses rather quickly and in a consistent and free flowing manner. I wonder if your perceived inconsistency is due to how very short the presses need to be?
    Last edited by robrecht; 11-23-2007 at 07:45 AM.

BTW, I'm also still experimenting with the pseudo jog wheel bastardization of volume rockers and it is also quit cool for 1-handed portrait use. It's really a shame this thing didn't come with a jogwheel. A reall nice feature of AE Button Plus is that the volume rockers can revert to their original volume adjustment function when the phone is on or only when you're on a call. However, if you've mapped the to a new function when held down (not just pushed) the push-repeat unction is not restored--so far that's the only place where I've missed the push-repeat function.
    I like the volume as PGUP/PGDN. But, I've noticed that after a while, AE Button seems to loose the Volume keys' mapping, and they go back to the system's default. Not sure when that happens; starts out working... then reverts after some hours of use.

Pretty Good Member
    I like the volume as PGUP/PGDN. But, I've noticed that after a while, AE Button seems to loose the Volume keys' mapping, and they go back to the system's default. Not sure when that happens; starts out working... then reverts after some hours of use.
    Oh, that doesn't sound encouraging. Any chance you have 'if phone is active' checked under the 'Restore Volume Slider' Option?

Oh, that doesn't sound encouraging. Any chance you have 'if phone is active' checked under the 'Restore Volume Slider' Option?
    Nope, have it at "During phone calls". And that's what you see when things are working. Issue happened to me 3 times now (reset, all is good, then some time later ??). Odd. All the other AE Button mappings continue to work fine, so it looks like a i760 thing and specific to the volume buttons.

PS. I also run PhoneAlarm and WkTask (both of which I recommend [I really doubt they're related to this, but just mentioning it]).

Pretty Good Member
    Nope, have it at "During phone calls". And that's what you see when things are working. Issue happened to me 3 times now (reset, all is good, then some time later ??). Odd. All the other AE Button mappings continue to work fine, so it looks like a i760 thing and specific to the volume buttons.

PS. I also run PhoneAlarm and WkTask (both of which I recommend [I really doubt they're related to this, but just mentioning it]).
    That sounds really aggravating. I've had my volume rocker set to scroll up/down on single cliks and PgUp/PgDn on long presses for about 24 hous now without seeing anything like this yet. I'll report back if it happens to me or not.

That sounds really aggravating. I've had my volume rocker set to scroll up/down on single cliks and PgUp/PgDn on long presses for about 24 hous now without seeing anything like this yet. I'll report back if it happens to me or not.
    OK, I think what's causing the remap is being in a call (especially using the volume button in-call, but I think even without).

Are you able to go into a call (with to w/o adjusting volume with the volume buttons), and then after the call, have the PGUP/PGDN still be assigned?

Pretty Good Member
    OK, I think what's causing the remap is being in a call (especially using the volume button in-call, but I think even without).

Are you able to go into a call (with to w/o adjusting volume with the volume buttons), and then after the call, have the PGUP/PGDN still be assigned?
    Yes, this is still workng fine for me, just took a call and adjusted the volume up & down during the call and came here afterward and my hold-PgUp\PgDn are still working as mapped with AE Button Plus. Let me keep at it for a week or so and I'll let you know if I experience any problems.

BTW, I don't know what 'Long keypress mode' (under 'Other Options') is, nor do I have it checked. Also, I have a registered version of AE Button Plus--just trying to brainstorm about what might be causing your problem other than the usual explanation of a possible software conflict (BTW, I don't use PhoneAlarm or WkTask). Do you have any registry edits? I think the only one I have is to enable ClearFonts in landscape mode.

I have noticed that that my PgDn functionality does not work until a webpage is close too being fully open and sometimes doesn't work at the very top of some webppages until I first scroll down by a link or two (which is mapped to a single click of the volume rockers).

Good luck!
    Last edited by robrecht; 11-24-2007 at 09:51 PM.

OK, tracked down the volume resetting for AE Button. It's a combination of in-call AEB and CorePlayer (not sure if TCPMP does this also). Since CorePlayer also does some key assignment, it somehow sticks AEB's temporary in-call volume button assignment. After the call, while CorePlayer is running, the Volume buttons remain in in-call mode; once CorePlayer exits, Volume corrects to AEB's out-of-call settings.

Not sure if this is an AEB issue or CarePlayer bug, but at least it's a pretty narrow issue. Just listing it here in case anyone else hits it.

Pretty Good Member

Unhappy

OK, tracked down the volume resetting for AE Button. It's a combination of in-call AEB and CorePlayer (not sure if TCPMP does this also). Since CorePlayer also does some key assignment, it somehow sticks AEB's temporary in-call volume button assignment. After the call, while CorePlayer is running, the Volume buttons remain in in-call mode; once CorePlayer exits, Volume corrects to AEB's out-of-call settings.

Not sure if this is an AEB issue or CarePlayer bug, but at least it's a pretty narrow issue. Just listing it here in case anyone else hits it.
    Thanks, EG.

Can you explain a little bit more what you are talking about. In-call AEB. CorePlayer. What are these? Does this explain why it works on some phones and not on others? Does it mean that you don't have to repeatedly remap your keys, just wait for CorePlayer to stop running, and how long is that?

Thanks, EG.

Can you explain a little bit more what you are talking about. In-call AEB. CorePlayer. What are these? Does this explain why it works on some phones and not on others? Does it mean that you don't have to repeatedly remap your keys, just wait for CorePlayer to stop running, and how long is that?
    AEB, was just my contraction for AE Button Plus. CorePlayer is the commercial version of the TCPMP (aka BetaPlayer) media player software. And yes, I just have to close CorePlayer for AE Button Plus to recognize that it needs to remap to out-of-call (normal) mode for the Volume keys.

General note on CorePlayer/TCPMP: I use it for broad codec support; and configurable back/forward skip and hardware key support. The only advantage I see for the commercial version is built-in support for AAC/MP4/etc codecs. Otherwise, the free TCPMP seems a bit cleaner and quicker.

I have to say, I think this is going to be my favorite customization I havee done. The device definiitely misses a scroll wheel, but this is pretty great. I use the volume rocker one click for pgup/pgdn and long presses for volume (off on today screen and when in calls). Working great so far.

Using the d-pad for lots of scrolling keeps my thumb in an awkward position -- especially when holding with the left hand. This lets me hold it in a much more natural position. AEB is probably going to be a keeper. Now if only it could map the number pad (maybe it already can - someone might have mentioned this earlier in another thread).

Pretty Good Member
    Otherwise, the free TCPMP seems a bit cleaner and quicker.
    Got it, thanks. I'm using the free version of TCPMP so I guess that's why I don't have this problem.

Is there a risk that AEB would conflict with the button mapping features of Spb Pocket Plus? I have wanted to install AEB; but have been worried about AEB and P+ not playing well together.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)