+ Reply to Thread

vpn and mapping work folder.

I have looked, and havn't found a answer. Is it possiple to vpn into my work network, and access a drive we use? I have been able to vpn to our network, but how do I go about mapping the drive/folder? Thanks guys(gals)!

One more question, when I connect vpn, is there a way to get my outlook e-mail? Our exchange server is not web-based anymore. I can vpn with my laptop, and open outlook and have all my work e-mail. Thanks again!

have you tried entering an address in file explorer? I've tried it with my i730 with wm5, but without success (ie //server_name_or_IP/c/..).

I would also like to know the anwer to this one!

Quote Originally Posted by travisn000 View Post
    have you tried entering an address in file explorer? I've tried it with my i730 with wm5, but without success (ie //server_name_or_IP/c/..).

I would also like to know the anwer to this one!

Yep...tried it! All the smart experts, and no ideas?

You should be able to do it, but you'll need to pump in the fully qualified domain name of the server, and then add that domain name to Settings - Connections - Advanced - Exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    You should be able to do it, but you'll need to pump in the fully qualified domain name of the server, and then add that domain name to Settings - Connections - Advanced - Exceptions.
    Ok...I do this, and go to file explorer, and click new path, and type the same path my laptop uses through vpn to get to my folder on our work network, and a window on the phone pops up and says network resource not found????? What about the e-mail issue? Thanks again guys!

That path probably won't hack it because it isn't a fully qualified domain name. For example, go to a command prompt and type "ping cisco" and you'll get an error that the name can't be resolved. That's the problem you're phone is having. It really wants to go to "server" but "server" as a name doesn't translate to an IP address it can use, so it dies.

This is why you'll need to pump in "server.mycompany.com" and enter an exception as I stated above. Then you'll need to hope that your company adds DNS entries for their servers with that hierarchy. That way, your phone knows "Go to the VPN for this" and can get an IP address to use. If they don't use DNS in this way, you'll need to know the FQDN for the server that you should be using and add the right domain under exceptions.

As to Exchange - if they shut down OWA/OMA, you're out of luck.

[QUOTE=PerfAlbion;687785]..doesn't translate to an IP address it can use, so it dies.
    [QUOTE]

Shouldn't I be able to browse a shared folder using file exploter if i am successfully connected to my vpn and using the (LAN) IP of the computer that the share resides on? ..this should negate the need for DNS, but it still doesn't work for me!

I'm trying to connect to a small home network, there is no FQDS; do I have to add the IP of the computer/share, as you described for the URL exception?

..I'll try and repost.

..I tried; still no luck!
    Last edited by travisn000; 11-26-2007 at 05:13 PM.

[QUOTE=travisn000;688077][QUOTE=PerfAlbion;687785]..doesn't translate to an IP address it can use, so it dies.

Shouldn't I be able to browse a shared folder using file exploter if i am successfully connected to my vpn and using the (LAN) IP of the computer that the share resides on? ..this should negate the need for DNS, but it still doesn't work for me!

I'm trying to connect to a small home network, there is no FQDS; do I have to add the IP of the computer/share, as you described for the URL exception?

..I'll try and repost.

..I tried; still no luck!
    Thats what I was tring to do....

If you're trying to use this to reach a home computer using a VPN, here's what I'd try.

1. Make sure your IP address range is "strange" enough that it's not going to be used in many other places. Something like 172.15.99.x. If you go with the typical defaults on home gear, it's 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x, which is used everywhere.

2. Assign a static IP address to the machine(s) you want to reach.

3. Build a hosts file for your PDA that translates the names you use for those machines into the right private IP address. You'll need a 3rd party app to do this or to hack your registry. Google "Windows Mobile Hosts" and you'll find many alternatives.

4. Install your VPN client.

5. Add the host names to the exceptions into Settings - Connections - Advanced - Exceptions.

6. Test.

Hopefully, that gets you what you're looking for. Changing the IP address range to something folks don't normally use where you are will be critical, though. If the connection ever fails, it may be because you've connected to a network with the same IP address range in use, and your PDA thinks the host is local, thus the need to do this.

Hope that works.

In my searching for "Windows Mobile Hosts" I found this freeware program for host name/IP address mappings on windows mobile devices:

Pocket Hosts v1.5

..the program, although designed for WM2003 seems to work fine (no errors) on my WM5 i730 using the .ARM.cab, but even with host/IP mapping and exceptions I still get the same error ("the network path was not found") when trying to use File Explorer to access shared directories that work fine with VPN from my computer.

Any other thoughts?
    Last edited by travisn000; 11-27-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Grab vxIPConfig and vxUtil from Cambridge software and confirm that you've actually got a connection to your VPN using those. You should have a VPN assigned IP address you can see in vxIPConfig, and you should be able to ping the IP address using vxUtil. You may not have a tunnel built.

I installed both; IPConfig gives a valid IP for the network, and pinging the target computer is 100% successful, but I noticed IPConfig shows the IP of the phone also as the Defualt gateway.. shouldn't this be the IP of the Network Router?

I'll have to double check, but I think the subnet might also be wrong; I think the subnet is suppose to be 255.255.255.0 and instead is showing up as 255.255.255.255.

The IP address and mask you're reporting are appropriate for a point-to-point connection, which the VPN tunnel is. So the question is - if traffic is passing to the destination properly, why is your destination not responding appropriately? I'd look at firewalls on your router or personal firewalls to find out if something's being dumped.

But just to be sure, you want to be looking at the IP address for the cellular adapter, the IP address for WiFi (if it's on) and the IP address for the VPN to make sure there are no conflicts. The IP address for the VPN should also come out of a different range than the local network at the destination or that PC will think the PDA is local and may not involve the router properly. For example, if your PC is 192.168.99.10/24, then use 192.168.100.0/24 for the VPN connections.

I think my problem with my work network is every machine that can vpn onto the network has a specific, and unique machine name. Could the network be dumping me? Is there a machine id for the 760 that can be added to the network? Thanks!