+ Reply to Thread

GPS program for hikers, with trail information?

Anyone know of a GPS based program that shows hiking trails and as and added bonus would also show boat navigation information?

Mainly, I am looking for something that tracks me while I hike in the SF bay area California region and shows all the hiking trails.
    Last edited by Indiglow99; 11-20-2007 at 10:31 AM.

I use memory map navigator, which is a topo map gps navigation program. You can use raster topo maps and also boating charts with the software. There are several sources for high quality raster USGS topo maps and NOAA charts. I know that some hiking trails are shown on USGS maps, but probably not all. The software defaults show a track as you travel across the map area and this track can be uploaded to your desktop computer when you get home.

It's a great program and I highly recommend it. A fully functional trial can be downloaded from Memory-Map: GPS Mapping Software for PC and Pocket PC

Is Memory-Map the only real topographical option? I would like an all inclusive packaged software.

National Geographic and Delorme both have handheld options for their Topographic programs.

Alan

Thanks - I'll take a look at those as well. I've also found one call BackCountryNavigator. Pretty cool/cheap program that will connect to public servers and download topographical maps. Giving it a trial run now, I'll report how it turns out.

Found a great program called Tracky. Seems to work really well and is relatively cheap ($40). I am still testing it to see if it's something that I think I will really use.

Tracky

----

Found another program that I think I prefer even more. It has great additional tools to help calibrate you own maps using Google Earth and REALLY makes it a simple process overall.

Program is called GPS Tuner. GPS Tuner - Offroad Navigation

----
    Last edited by mynticelx; 01-09-2008 at 10:53 AM.

I'm looking for something (preferably free) that will help me if I am lost while hiking or mountain biking in one of the many large state parks here in CT. It would also be nice if it didn't need a cell signal to work, just GPS. What I would like to do is park my car in the parking lot, have the program locate me via GPS then save that location as a favorite or bookmark so-to-speak. Then If I get lost I can just navigate back to that location that I saved. I found this link but it is so vast that I was hoping someone already had some experience with them and could tell me if any give me what I need. Thanks

Free GPS Software - An Up-to-Date List

Anyone? Anyone?