+ Reply to Thread

Exchange for Dummies

I have read mrailings excellent guides on setting up an exchange server to use with Windows Mobile and I thank him for that. I understood just enough to feel stupid. When I feel stupid I generally compound the problem by asking some really stupid questions so here goes.

1) If I get Exchange Syncronization setup I won't ever have to dock my i760 to my computer to get updated contact, calendar, or task information?

2) Where on my i760 do I configure the exchange setup information. Is it in messaging Outlook email / options?

3) If the above is true when it says enter server address (Note:this is the same address as your outlook web access server address) My web access server address is athens.mycompany.com/exchange. When I enter the /exchange it always gets removed when I hit next.

What am I doing wrong or am I completely out in left field?

Thanks
    Charles

1. Yes, assuming you are running Exchange 2003 SP2 or later. Anything earlier won't sync tasks.
    2. Yes
    3. You need to contact your server admin for the ActiveSync URL.

1) Correct.
    2) Click on ActiveSync in Programs and click the link for setting up to use with Exchange Server. Fill in the blanks for the wizard, server address, etc.
    3) I don't konw. My server address is the same but it is exchange.mycompany.com. You might try that.

One thought, one question:

On question #2, you can also go to AS on the i760 and "Configure Server". You can also configure the sync options there for what you're syncing under the "Options."

For the URL, how are you entering it? The exact text of what you're putting in could be useful.

Thanks for the responses. PerAlbion the address I am entering is:

athens.mycompany.com/exchange

That is the address that I go to when I access exchange via owa.

When I enter just athens.mycompany.com I get a certificate error. Something that says the certificate on the server is not up to date.

Charles

Hello? Is this thing on?
    When you type the address at home to get to your exchange server, do you use https:// or just http?

If you use http, make sure that you turned off the SSL connection on the configure screen as it will trying to add the (s) to your exchange address.

If you are appending http:// or https:// to the server name, don't. AS will figure that you.

If OWA is working and OMA (Outlook Mobile Access) isn't, there's two possibilities.

OMA may be configured to use a different URL and you need to know what that is.

Or OMA may not be enable for some reason. It is a setting that has to be configured.

The certificate error may actually be promising, though. If your company is using a self-signed certificate for Exchange, you need to import it. See if you can get a copy of the ".cer" file and load it on to the i760, then try the server without the "/exchange" portion of the URL.

Quote Originally Posted by cpfuller View Post
    I have read mrailings excellent guides on setting up an exchange server to use with Windows Mobile and I thank him for that. I understood just enough to feel stupid. When I feel stupid I generally compound the problem by asking some really stupid questions so here goes.

1) If I get Exchange Syncronization setup I won't ever have to dock my i760 to my computer to get updated contact, calendar, or task information?

2) Where on my i760 do I configure the exchange setup information. Is it in messaging Outlook email / options?

3) If the above is true when it says enter server address (Note:this is the same address as your outlook web access server address) My web access server address is athens.mycompany.com/exchange. When I enter the /exchange it always gets removed when I hit next.

What am I doing wrong or am I completely out in left field?

Thanks
    Charles
    Charles - can you point me towards mike's guides, thanks, Larry

I think using Exchange server is great on the 760. If I create a new task, appointment, etc on my PC, 3 seconds later it pops up on my phone. It really works great.

The bad thing is that you can only have ONE Exchange account on the phone. That really sucks because I work for two company's, and I'd like to be able to sync to both. And I still have to sync my personal stuff the old fashioned way, with a cable. I could use bluetooth, but it just seems faster with a cable.

One thing I did find out is that some administrators used forced policy to password lock the phone. That was a real PITA. After 10 minutes it would time out, so I was constantly having to enter a pin code to use my phone. Of course there is a hack to bypass that nonsense though.

Check to see if either of your companies allows IMAP access. You won't necessarily get the calendars, contacts, etc., but that at least would get you mail and folders.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    Check to see if either of your companies allows IMAP access. You won't necessarily get the calendars, contacts, etc., but that at least would get you mail and folders.
    I can get email from POP, so that's not a problem. But it seems like the Exchange server system works much nicer.

Does anyone know of a good way to sync contacts and notes from a PC wirelessly? I tried Verizons wireless sync, but it really didn't work that well, and I felt like it was a big security hole.

I've tried setting this up in the past, but when I do it doesn't work so I call my company's help desk. They tell me that only specific users (ie the management) have permissions for exchange syncing/push email.

My questions:
    1. Can they really limit this feature to just certain uusers?
    2. Why would they limit it? Does it cost more money for more equipment?
    It's been quite a trip! Handspring Visor Deluxe - Palm m515 - Kyocera 7135 - Samsung i730 - Samsung i760

Yes, they can limit it to specific users.

They might limit access for security reasons, particularly on Exchange 2000 and early releases of 2003. It's not the most secure method of accessing an Exchange server out there, and some shops flat out don't permit it.

Quote Originally Posted by larryg View Post
    Charles - can you point me towards mike's guides, thanks, Larry

The thread below is part 2 and contains a link to part 1.

Exchange ActiveSync Push Setup Part 2 (Exchange 2007 and SSL setup edition)

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by BRENG View Post
    I can get email from POP, so that's not a problem. But it seems like the Exchange server system works much nicer.
    It tends to be a bit snappier on downloads, yep.

Does anyone know of a good way to sync contacts and notes from a PC wirelessly? I tried Verizons wireless sync, but it really didn't work that well, and I felt like it was a big security hole.
    Do you mean "via the cell network" wirelessly, or "without having to connect a cable" wirelessly. I sync my TyTN II using BT all the time so my personal and work contacts stay in sync. But that's obviously not real-time. For contacts and notes, I don't find that a big deal. For calendar items, I just use the Exchange server so that I'm always up to date (and I don't get meeting requests on the personal mail anyway). But I'm gonna say it's been a week since I connected to my computer using a USB cable, and that was to charge the thing rather than sync.

Quote Originally Posted by cpfuller View Post
    The thread below is part 2 and contains a link to part 1.

Exchange ActiveSync Push Setup Part 2 (Exchange 2007 and SSL setup edition)

Charles
    appreicate - sounds like a holiday project when things have wound down a bit

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    It tends to be a bit snappier on downloads, yep.

Do you mean "via the cell network" wirelessly, or "without having to connect a cable" wirelessly. I sync my TyTN II using BT all the time so my personal and work contacts stay in sync. But that's obviously not real-time. For contacts and notes, I don't find that a big deal. For calendar items, I just use the Exchange server so that I'm always up to date (and I don't get meeting requests on the personal mail anyway). But I'm gonna say it's been a week since I connected to my computer using a USB cable, and that was to charge the thing rather than sync.
    I mean over the cell network. That is the only way to go. I don't want to sync my contacts and notes to my pda at work, because there is some confidential info there. So I do Calendar and tasks at work, and notes and contacts at home. It's not a big deal. I sync once a week with the cable and be done with it.

We have uploaded and installed our athens[mycompany]com.cer file as well as an sbs.cer file.

After the installation it still does not work. Now it will prompt you if you enter in the wrong password, but after that it still does not sync. Any ideas?