+ Reply to Thread
    ebb

Palringo Messenger Software

Through Lifehacker

"Palringo brings multi-client chat to your Windows Mobile device or Symbian smartphone. There once was a time when the go-to mobile IM client was a program called Agile Messenger, but ever since it went shareware there's been a gap for freeware IM on a lot of phones. With support for everything from AIM to Google Talk and its own mobile voice chat, it looks like Palringo is filling that gap with aplomb. Palringo is freeware, works on Symbian Series 60 phones and Windows Mobile 2003 and up."

Palringo Palringo Vocal IM

Installed this and it is working well- connects to AIM, Yahoo, MSN, Google and runs in the background, notifications of messages show up in the task bar. Easy sign up for voice chat.

Parlingo

Also see that thread.... I've been using it on the Q9m and the i760. It works well, but not very active.....yet!
    Jeremiah 29:11

ebb
    LOL-- Stopped looking at the 730 forum a while back, other than for reference material on setup and old software links. This is working really well on the 760, and is a great replacement for Agilemessenger. Was mentioned on Lifehacker today, so after testing I thought I'd pass it on.

Ya know...I hate products, freeware or otherwise, that have a web page for their product but don't go into any detail about what the product is or hwo you can use it. If you go to the product page for this your options are to 'signup' and download it or...well that's basically your only option. Take a few minutes to document the product in some fashion so I don't have to download it just to find out how it can help my life.

Does anyone who uses this know how to keep your login information saved, so you don't have to always manually enter your sign in info when you shut it down and restart?

It's free

Quote Originally Posted by nalpakj View Post
    Ya know...I hate products, freeware or otherwise, that have a web page for their product but don't go into any detail about what the product is or hwo you can use it. If you go to the product page for this your options are to 'signup' and download it or...well that's basically your only option. Take a few minutes to document the product in some fashion so I don't have to download it just to find out how it can help my life.
    Stop complaining.

awesome app!! I like having it just sit in the background. I just wish that the website would explain what it means when it says that its "Like Instant Messaging, but with the option to use voice as well as text and photos"...what does it mean?? does it mean its like instant messaging but with the option to use voice as well as text and photo?? haha...jk

The Electro Ghandi Wireless Buddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pillagingjack View Post
    awesome app!! I like having it just sit in the background. I just wish that the website would explain what it means when it says that its "Like Instant Messaging, but with the option to use voice as well as text and photos"...what does it mean?? does it mean its like instant messaging but with the option to use voice as well as text and photo?? haha...jk
    Yeah, I don't like how it explains the program. I think it should say "Push To Talk + Text IM" because that's the main focus, plus it sounds more attractive.

And in response to the previous post about login credentials, mine saves it, I'm not sure why it doesn't do it for you. When I open the program, I just double tap the sign in area and it connects. But then again, I'm using the i730, so maybe it's a bug with the i760, or you could be using an old version of the program.
    s a m s u n g s c h - i 7 6 0
    s a m s u n g s c h - i 7 3 0

No bug, check the box under the Palringo login to save login, and it will save the info, then all u have to do is click connect!

ebb
    I have it installed on the memory card, so I have had issues of it disconnecting when the device allows the card to sleep. I don't think this would happen if it was installed in regular memory. Otherwise it has worked great for me, and I have not had to re-input usernames or passwords. Haven't used the voice thing-- i think that requires both ends of the conversation to be using palringo-- not so for the IM services. Would be great with a plugin, although the system tray icon is nice.

Also, IMHO, anyone who uses their regular email for any site that they do not have long term experience with is asking for trouble. That is true here with palringo as well. Fortunately, it is very easy to get anonymous emails, and those should always be used on any commercial site with which you are not familiar. BUT, its no reason not to try out software and other things. Just use common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig View Post
    Stop complaining.
    It snot so much complaining as it is just stating that if a company goes through the effort of writing software, then why not put information anywhere on their site that says exactly what the software does. You should not have to download and install a piece of software in order to find out what the hell it is. That's just reasonable to expect. You would not have bought your i760 if you didnt know what it was before-hand.

My experience with the program has been seamless and awesome. I did some multi-chatting which is by far the best experience I've had on a windows mobile device to date. The push to talk feature is really slick, I only tried it for yahoo not for any other clients but friends say it works.

Here is my list of updates for the next release: No particular order.

1.) Able to customize notification sounds/alerts and how they notify you i.e. display message on screen or vibrate.
    2.) Have chat history for all account logins i.e. threaded SMS functionality. Not just for group chat. and be able to store chat logs on storage card.
    3.) I seen emoticons for the worst of WM IM clients so they should just add it for this as well.
    4.) Add skins
    5.) Remove the icon at the bottom of the today screen. Add a today screen plugin (I read palringo forums, and this is in the works).
    6.) File sharing
    7.) Webcam (ok i'm reaching)
    8.) I don't like the fact I have to log into the palringo account to log into my Yahoo or AIM...this should be separate.
    9.) Separate contact based on client with tabs instead of having them all in one tab.
    10.) Don't charge for future versions. Keep it free and look for government or google funding...seems they like throwing money around these days for innovation.
    "If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?"

It's free

Quote Originally Posted by nalpakj View Post
    It snot so much complaining as it is just stating that if a company goes through the effort of writing software, then why not put information anywhere on their site that says exactly what the software does. You should not have to download and install a piece of software in order to find out what the hell it is. That's just reasonable to expect. You would not have bought your i760 if you didnt know what it was before-hand.
    You have no reason to expect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig View Post
    You have no reason to expect anything.
    You're so amazingly wrong and apparently naive when it comes to software development. I'm sure you'll come back with some witty response such as your previous mind bender that suggests software providers do not have any responsibility to document what they provide and that comment will also be amazingly wrong.

I've been designing and developing software for 22 years. It's simple...you develop it...you document it so people know what it is. That is something we should expect and I will continue to expect. Again, you shouldn't have to install an application to find out what it does.