+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Power Button Doesn't Lock Phone

What's the point of the power off button if when I turn off my device things can still be executed if buttons are pressed accidentally, or the screen is pressed and executs something? I thought the power button also acted as a LOCK button? So, you mean to tell me that now do I not only need to power off my phone, but also lock it? So, anytime I want to use it I must go through a series of steps???

PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS AN EASIER WAY!!!!

Like my man said in the other thread... IN THE NAME OF EVERYTHING THAT IS SWEET AND HOLY!!!
    Last edited by bezworks; 11-21-2007 at 07:35 PM.

I have no idea what you are talking about (not to mention the title to this thread is absolutely meaningless). Pressing the power button locks everything. There are only two ways that it will reactivate:
    1. Pressing the power button again.
    2. A reminder occurs, which turns the screen on again.

Yep, anal idiot...

Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about (not to mention the title to this thread is absolutely meaningless). Pressing the power button locks everything. There are only two ways that it will reactivate:
    1. Pressing the power button again.
    2. A reminder occurs, which turns the screen on again.
    Well this is NOT true... as I have just posted a message in another thread that states my phone keeps on waking up in the middle of phone calls, not for reminders, and that my face and/or ear keeps making settings changes during the call that I am not aware of until I end the call.

3. You slide the keyboard open.
    4. Incoming calls

aside from that, there are two main functions of the power button.....tapping it will turn the screen off and lock the phone until one of the 4 previous events have occurred....holding the button will prompt you on screen turn the phone off

Wow, as for the title, I only did it to be funny. And perhaps you two missed the first post someone made with a similar title. I thought it was humorous.

But anyway, let me break out my degree and speak like a scholar so that I can get an answer.

1. I press the power button to turn of my screen.
    2. When I press it to turn it back on, to my suprise I see that evidently some buttons have initiated certain applications and the like.

The question I am proposing is the following:

Does one have to lock his device before powering off his LCD in order to keep applications from initiating and becoming engaged unaware?

It is my hope and desire that I have now fashioned my query in the most proper form of forum etiquette.

Sigh. Pride is the folly of men.

Not sure why you are having a problem. When I put my phone in suspend I either need to slide the phone open, press the power button or get a call for it to come on. Not sure why yours wouldn't do this unless you installed some type of app that changes how things work on your phone.

Lets make something a little clear. When you just press the power button your phone is put in suspend mode. This way calls still come in and can be answered. Press and hold the power button and the phone will turn off, as in no phone calls or anything else.

edit: get in to a conversation at work and 5 people post before you. lol
    Last edited by blazingwolf; 11-21-2007 at 07:24 PM.

When I press the power button (not to be confused with holding the button, which cuts it completely off), and lets say, for instance, I press some number keys - my phone responds to that and I can hear the numbers audibly being pressed. Then if I cut my LCD on (by pressing the power button), I can see the numbers that I pressed. My thinking was that when I pressed the power button that my phone was - in a sense - LOCKED. Shouldn't that be the case? If so, my phone is not behaving that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MacroProd View Post
    Well this is NOT true... as I have just posted a message in another thread that states my phone keeps on waking up in the middle of phone calls, not for reminders, and that my face and/or ear keeps making settings changes during the call that I am not aware of until I end the call.
    Yes, it IS true - please read the OP and my post carefully. The predicate to this is that you have locked it by pressing the power button.

As I understand your post, you are saying that after the screen turns off automatically during a call, it comes back on without one of the two conditions I stated above occurring. That is a different scenario, and not what the OP stated. If you are saying something different, please enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    3. You slide the keyboard open.
    4. Incoming calls

aside from that, there are two main functions of the power button.....tapping it will turn the screen off and lock the phone until one of the 4 previous events have occurred....holding the button will prompt you on screen turn the phone off
    Thanks - I forgot about those in my haste.

Yes, it IS true - please read the OP and my post carefully. The predicate to this is that you have locked it by pressing the power button.

As I understand your post, you are saying that after the screen turns off automatically during a call, it comes back on without one of the two conditions I stated above occurring. That is a different scenario, and not what the OP stated. If you are saying something different, please enlighten me.
    Please read my post above yours. It explains everything you are asking. Lets come off of our high horse as well.

None of the proposed scenarios are the case. If I do this PURPOSEFULLY with my testing, which is to:

1. Manually cut off my screen by engaging the power button.
    2. Press numbers on my phone.
    3. Hear audio cues from the phone that numbers are being pressed
    4. Manually cut on my screen by on by engaging the power button
    5. See my contact list (because numbers were pressed).

This is not normal behavior I suppose. Is it or is it not is what I am asking.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bezworks; 11-21-2007 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bezworks View Post
    Please read my post above yours. It explains everything you are asking. Lets come off of our high horse as well.
    That post didn't exist when I posted mine - there's a difference between not reading carefully and not reading what wasn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by bezworks
    When I press the power button (not to be confused with holding the button, which cuts it completely off), and lets say, for instance, I press some number keys - my phone responds to that and I can hear the numbers audibly being pressed. Then if I cut my LCD on (by pressing the power button), I can see the numbers that I pressed. My thinking was that when I pressed the power button that my phone was - in a sense - LOCKED. Shouldn't that be the case? If so, my phone is not behaving that way.
    That's much more helpful - it actually explains the problem.

I just tested that I my phone, and I did not see the same result. My screen was as I left it.

What program were you in? The home screen? The phone dialer? Some other application? It shouldn't make a difference, but perhaps it does.

Also, have you remapped the power button (using, e.g., AE Button Plus)?

That post didn't exist when I posted mine - there's a difference between not reading carefully and not reading what wasn't there.

That's much more helpful - it actually explains the problem.

I just tested that I my phone, and I did not see the same result. My screen was as I left it.

What program were you in? The home screen? The phone dialer? Some other application? It shouldn't make a difference, but perhaps it does.

Also, have you remapped the power button (using, e.g., AE Button Plus)?
    Cool beans. We're back on even playing fields and I apologize for my previous posts.

To answer your question, I cut my phone off from the home screen. I haven't remapped any buttons at all. I do have SPB Pocket Plus installed. Would that mess up anything?

Wow, as for the title, I only did it to be funny. And perhaps you two missed the first post someone made with a similar title. I thought it was humorous.
    I'm sorry to take that one out on you, but there are good number of threads lately that have zero information in the title (e.g., "Help!", "Have you seen this?", etc.). Yes, it is about etiquette, but that's part and parcel to being a member of a community - if you have a question, help those who would help you.

Cool beans. We're back on even playing fields and I apologize for my previous posts.

To answer your question, I cut my phone off from the home screen. I haven't remapped any buttons at all. I do have SPB Pocket Plus installed. Would that mess up anything?
    PP can't map the power button. I don't have it installed anymore, so I don't know if it would cause that behavior.

Has it always done this? Try a soft reset. Also, since you have PP, launch in safe mode and see if it happens.

You are correct, and I should have written a better title. I actually typed one and started to feel so good that I deleted it and put the one that is up there now. I will change it now though, and hopefully it will be reflected on future visits to the forum.

PP can't map the power button. I don't have it installed anymore, so I don't know if it would cause that behavior.

Has it always done this? Try a soft reset. Also, since you have PP, launch in safe mode and see if it happens.
    No, it hasn't always done this, but it's one of those things of "well maybe I just never knew this could happen until now" kind of things. I figured it used to lock the phone, but became unsure with this behavior. But now I have confirmation from you guys that this is indeed odd behavior. I will try the soft reset and safe mode ideas and post back shortly.

Thanks bro.

No doubt that you are a scholar, AND a gentleman, but that may in fact be the issue, no offense (I digress...if your unit is having issues, return it)...mine works fine, and I'm no early adopter...the directions you are receiving should work, in the event they aren't...turn the bit*h in for a new one. Just make sure you have receipts or passwords, or whatever, to re-install any software you've purchased.

My best...

You are correct, and I should have written a better title. I actually typed one and started to feel so good that I deleted it and put the one that is up there now. I will change it now though, and hopefully it will be reflected on future visits to the forum.
    Just for the record, I have nothing against a funny title (and I got the reference) - it's just that it should give some indication of what the thread is about. The other "sweet and holy" thread did that. That was all I meant, and, again, I shouldn't have vented on that the way I did.

'Nuff on that topic (in this thread, anyway).