+ Reply to Thread

Build a shortcut?

From the FAQ:
    "If you drop the file on your PC and it tells you it's invalid, try copying it to the PDA and running it directly. If it works, you'll need to build a shortcut to it in \Windows\Start Menu\Programs."

I get to \\Windows\Start Menu\Programs... but am not sure how to build a shortcut.

I got a program called Peek Pocket (d/l to my pc) and copied it (the exe file) via Active Sync to a new folder (Peek Pocket) I created in Programs on the i760. This program would not install from the pc, so I copied it to the i760 and it runs from there just fine.

Another general question: is Active Sync the only way I can view/manipulate files on the i760 from my pc? I can't use Windows Explorer on the pc to see the connected device? (haven't been able to see it yet)

Disregard the general question about viewing files. I just found the device in Windows Explorer on the pc.

A suggestion for the FAQ on installing new programs to the i760, it would be helpful to newbies to PDAs (like me) if the How To Install Guide would add PC and i760 in appropriate places. Sometimes I find myself a bit lost as to which machine I'm supposed to be making the changes to in that guide. (which is an excellent resource).

Sometimes the obvious things to an experienced hand are far from obvious to us newbies.

In file explorer (on your device) tap and hold on the exe file and choose create shortcut. Now place that in programs.

When I tap and hold on the exe file on the device, I only get the following:
    Cut/copy
    Rename/delete
    Send/beam file

Create shortcut is not on the list.

Select Copy, go to where you want to put it, tap and hold, and then select "Paste Shortcut."

Ah thanks! That's what I needed.