+ Reply to Thread
    RTD

i760 vs. Voyager

I recently purchased a i760 and I am debating whether or not to exchange it for a voyager so I just wanted to hear other opinions about the 2. Also,if anyone could explain the difference between a html browser and IE on the 760. Thnank to all!

The i760 is a pda, while the LG Voyager is a nice phone with a keyboard for messaging, it is still just an enhanced LG env with an enhanced mobile web browser or as my daughter puts it...an iphone wan-a-be. You can pay for verizon's phone email but it wont come close to the type of email you can do on a pda.
    Last edited by dkennedy; 11-22-2007 at 01:58 PM.

two entirely different "species." Thr 760 is a business/office on the go phone with multimedia capabilities. It has its own operating systme (windows mobile 6), office software, can edit attachments from emails, can be used to tether with a laptop, has wifi, has thousands of third party developers constantly making stuff for it (a lot even free), and much more.

The Voyager is a good multimedia phone, but can't touch the iPhone. It is stuc with the Verizon based software model and can't be extended really. No wifi, no powerful email capabilities and more. I don't recommend it for the business savvy.

It has a html browser, but there are browsers coming out for wm6. Opera has a great one out already that I use. Firefox is working one too. Microsoft is working on the Wake3 browser as well. MS is a software maker and that's one reason I'd rather have this pda.

Not to mention, I like having keypads to dial my numbers.

RTD
    I love the 760 I just hate using that stylus to navigate around web pages etc. It seems that the voyager is more touch friendly than the 760.does the opera browser allow for stylus free web browsing?

The Voyager looked fine to me, except that it has a completely one-off operating system.

There won't be many (any?) downloadable add-ons for it. MS Exchange sync will be through some third-party "almost works" Intellisync solution. I've been there, tried to make that work, and eventually recanted and went back to WinMobile.

Quote Originally Posted by RTD View Post
    I love the 760 I just hate using that stylus to navigate around web pages etc. It seems that the voyager is more touch friendly than the 760.does the opera browser allow for stylus free web browsing?
    Stylus? Use the D-Pad to navigate around web pages.

I have a test Voyager unit from the VZW Customer Council. The browser is not as capable as the i760 default IE browser, although the pages that do work look better. With the 3rd party software available for the i760 though, there is really no comparison.

Only things the Voyager does that the i760 doesn't is VZ Navigator, Mobile TV and other Brew and Vcast apps. None of the VCAST or Brew stuff is any better then what you can get from other sources for the i760. Mobile TV is fun to play with, but pretty limited in the available programming and of course does not have nationwide coverage.

VZNavigator is cool, but instead of paying $10 a month, you can get a sub $100 Bluetooth GPS and have it paid off in less then a year, with plenty of third party software (some free like Windows Live and Google Maps) available.

Alan

cYGONE
    Quote Originally Posted by RTD View Post
    ........ Also,if anyone could explain the difference between a html browser and IE on the 760. Thnank to all!
    ie is an html browser, at least on my phone.

If you hate using the stylus go to PPCGEEKS.com and download FTouchFlo....it makes the phone so much easier to use because at that point it is all finger scrolling. You can also add the HTC Home Plug-in for ease of use to get to various apps and messaging.

Saw a Voyager today... ehh, not impressed at all. Nothing compared to the iPhone. Thumbs down.

ditto what alanb said. it's nice, but way too big (voyager) and just not as slick as an iPhone.
    Jeremiah 29:11

RTD
    I did downlad Touchflo but did does not work well with IE.

Just a few FYI's:

The Voyager has a pretty good 2.0 megapixel camera. No zoom or flash, but good basic photos with some powerful features.

Internet browsing on the Voyager only requires a $15 Verizon package and is unlimited. The pocket PC's require a data plan and verizon charges avout $40for ulimited browser usage.

The Voyager has many similarities to the iphone but is a lot less expensive and has a lot of the core features that makes the iphone desireable. Plus, you don't need to send the Voyager into repair to have the battery replaced.

I have seen the iphone and I am very happy with my Voyager....It's just a cool phone with lots of cool features!

I use both phones. I have had an i760 since the release and got a Voyager last week. The i760 is a great phone. I use it mostly for email and tethering to my laptop.

The Voyager is my personal phone. The touch screen takes some getting used to. The browser is much nicer than I had expected. Still it is not as good as what can be done with the i760.

I have managed to set both devices up to tether with my laptop. Speeds seem to be about the same. I really like both devices and find myself struggling over which one to carry with me. Most business days I carry the i760 and on weekends the Voyager.

Hobby of the week-aholic
    Can we really compare the internet capabilities between the voyager and the 760? Can the voyager download files, upload files, use java applets on web pages, or use forms? Or is it limited to simply viewing web pages?

No we cannot compare the two phones. As has been said before they are two different classes of phones. I have been able to view attachments that are pictures but other than that you can not download files. It is a basic browser that will only do basic tasks, but it is still much better than anything I had expected from VZW.

Hobby of the week-aholic
    so then that would explain the major difference between the data plan and the mobile web $15 plan.

yep. but there is a change that can be made to tether it to your laptop. Not bad for only $15. Of course it is only good for you if you won't use all the features of the i760. I love my i760 and probably couldn't survive if I couldn't sync it with the business server!

Quote Originally Posted by louderjw View Post

I have managed to set both devices up to tether with my laptop. Speeds seem to be about the same. I really like both devices and find myself struggling over which one to carry with me. Most business days I carry the i760 and on weekends the Voyager.
    louder...curious how you deal with inboud calling??

2 different #s...it's not like there's a SIM card you can switch....that's a feature i really envy from the GSM world...

Inbound calls actually are routed through my business and then select calls are forwarded to the phone I choose. When using the i760 I log in and change the number to go to the business cell rather than personal.