+ Reply to Thread

Send messages to multiple people-NO SEMI-COLON!!

OK, I swear I have searched for this, and maybe I am just dumb, but when sending messages to multiple recipients, is the semi-colon the only symbol you can use to separate the recipients???

If so, how come my keyboard doesn't have the semi-colon quickly available??? I have to press Function > Spacebar for symbol > scroll one to the right > then press the #6 for the semi-colon. There has got to be an easier like assigning a key for the semi-colon or something.

What can I do??

you could just select people from the contact list I suppose

I just use a the colon and it goes thru to all on the list for text messages

Any more ideas on this? I have tried using the colon to separate multiple text addresses, and only the first one gets it.

Pretty Good Member
    No, a full colon ":" does not work as an email address separator, nor does a comma.* So I see these four options:

Option One (studrick):
    Fn, Symbol, shift grid to the right, 6, Symbol
    For additional email addresses after that, it's a little simpler:
    Tap soft keyboard, 6, Space

Option Two (Indie):
    Menu, Add Recipient option (opens Contacts), Select text box, type (part of) name of contact, highlight contact, Enter, Repeat

Option Three:
    Tap normal on-screen keyboard, Tap semi-colon (, Space
    If you're careful and don't want to bother with the stylus you can do this with your finger nail.

Option Four (robrecht):
    Type email address until it is recognized, down arrow to highlight email address, enter (semicolon and space are entered automatically)

So far, Option Four is by far and away the easiest as long as the email address already appears in your contacts or in your email address memory. It can even be done one-handed with the dialpad.

If the email address isn't already in your contacts, Option Three isn't so bad, but obviously it pays to add email addresses to your contacts. Let us know if there are better options.

*Comma is an advanced option in the desktop version of Outlook on account of AOL.

I have tried option 4, and the semi-colon and space are not entered. I have tried several different combinations. Man, this is totally blowing my mind as this has got to have come up before, much less shouldn't ever have been designed this way.

Option 5 -Hackit!
    Sound like we've got a got Hack request! There was a handy utility for the i730 called PhoneHelper that was written by Dimension that swapped some of the keys around to make more necessary characters more accessible.. That part of the Utility was called KeySwapper, I don't know it would work on th i760. I don't know if there are any other apps out there that would remap keys... just a thought.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

If the contact is in your address book, they it will auto put the ';' in there.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studrick View Post
    I have tried option 4, and the semi-colon and space are not entered. I have tried several different combinations. Man, this is totally blowing my mind as this has got to have come up before, much less shouldn't ever have been designed this way.
    Hmmm ... wonder why that's not working for you--I just checked again and it definitely works for me (both in Outlook and my cable provider's POP3 server). Seems like it also works for Dorf.

Don't know if it's relevant, but here's my list of currently installed software: PHM Registry Editor, TCPMP, AE Button Plus, Google Maps, vTap, and PocketTV.

The good news is we should be able to figure out why it's not working for you and how to fix it.

Has anyone tried PocketCM Keyboard on their i760? It is easy to use with a finger, and it seems like I have seen alternate keyboard layouts for it packaged as skins. ..If all else fails, it might make things easier.

figured it out. if you have your phone to NOT add a space after your words under the phone settings word completion, then it doesn't add the semi-colon and space. but setting the phone to auto-space makes it work. problem solved.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studrick View Post
    figured it out. if you have your phone to NOT add a space after your words under the phone settings word completion, then it doesn't add the semi-colon and space. but setting the phone to auto-space makes it work. problem solved.
    Yep, that's how my phone is set also. Good job.