+ Reply to Thread

MP3 playback quality?

I just got the i760, and so far I love it. I want to use it to play MP3 music also. I have a Logitech Freepulse bluetooth headset. Normally the headset has extremely good quality with my RIO MP3 player. It comes paired up with a bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the MP3 player. But with the i760, it isn't so good. It's acceptable, but just not great.

Am I expecting too much from the phone? Is it capable of playback quality like an MP3 player? Maybe the problem is the headset not being totally compatible with the phone?

Also, if I take this on a plane, I can't use blue tooth. (At least I have to stop when the flight attendant notices. ). So can anyone recommend a good wired headset for this phone? Just plain old ear buds are best on a plane for me.

I answered my own question. I bought an adapter at Bestbuy. The phone sounds great through the stereo ear buds. I then used the Bluetooth transmitter that came with the Logitech Freepulse headphones, and plugged that into the adapter. Sounds great also.

Logitech must be using a different BlueTooth interface than the phone to get such good sound quality. I also noticed that the volume adjustment on the adapter had almost no affect when using it with the Logitech device. Very strange. They must be using some level compression.

i am using a basic adapter (from verizon) into basic headphones. I get good quality, but it is SO QUIET! i have to crank the volume to 100% and even then its not that loud. Anyone know why or how to fix it?

PDA Phone Newbie
    No doubt the bluetooth 'codec' used by the headphones is optimized for sound quality, while the i760 would probably default to what works universally best. So using the bluetooth adapter used on the mp3 player would probably yield similar results if attached to this phone (though a might bit cumbersome and pointless then).

The quiet factor is due in part to the amount of amplification on this phone's port. As it stands, it is a headset port, which require minimal power for a lower fidelity single speaker (an earbud) and transmission with a condenser mic. If you really wanted good sound quality at whatever volume you wished, a headphone amplifier is ideal, although this also applies in the use of all mp3 players, for reasons of clarity, quality, power savings, and proper volume control. Though it does take up some space, it is worth it for those in need of quality sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Kremlon View Post
    i am using a basic adapter (from verizon) into basic headphones. I get good quality, but it is SO QUIET! i have to crank the volume to 100% and even then its not that loud. Anyone know why or how to fix it?
    I bought an LG adapter at Bestbuy for like $19. It works perfectly with the Samsung 760.